Facelift Model Is the Type-S an upgrade?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by nargordon, Sunday 30th Dec, 2012.

1. nargordon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was looking at an Type-S and I was wondering if there is a huge difference between an ex 2.2 to the Type-S if you exclude the increase in power?

2. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bigger alloys, xenons and 30bhp

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Type-S.......

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Type-S also has clear front indicators but does NOT have a sunroof like the EX. Also depends if the Type-S you are looking at has ADAS. I think there are not that many ADAS-equipped Type-S models on the used market at all, unless you order brand new of course...

5. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    Id say go for one!! I've had mine for 3 yrs from new and still get a buzz from driving it.
    Has loads of toys as standard. My Type-S came with what Jaytips says but not ADAS. Has fitted satnav and rear camera. (not sure if that was standard with the EX)
    The only extra that wasnt on it as standard that I could see was a sunroof.
    You won't see many on the road, much more exclusive than Audi or BMW. Great car!!
    If you get Jaytips red colour even more exclusive.

Last edited: Wednesday 2nd Jan, 2013
  6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes the EX has the satnav and camera too. And the sunroof :Happy:

7. nargordon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice but seems someone got there before me anyway still enjoying my 150 BHP ex.. There was one thing you missed I will get to keep my licence !!!

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Brock, this is applicable to every Accord, not only the TypeS.... (sadly enough). In my little town (approx. 2000 inhabitants), I'm the only one driving an 8th Generation Accord.... Don't ask me how many Audi's, Merc's or BMW's. Countless. Civics on the other hand: quite some. Even 9th Generation. But I believe in UK, Honda's market share is considerably high?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    UK is the biggest market for Honda but you don't see that many Honda and when you do see them they are all over the place,as for the Germans it as common as the common housefly you can't miss them :Angry:

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Frankly, thats an insult to the housefly!

Those poor sods only come out when we have decent weather, and even thats just 12 hours a year. As for German junk, they infest the roads. Even Mondeo's are rarer - and thats saying something!

But yes, the Accord exclusivity is fantastic. :lol:

i-DSI likes this.
  11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I know what you mean, the Accord is exclusive, shame its not as cheap as its other rival, the Toyota Avensis.

Everyone is obsessed with German cars, this creates a demand which gives them better residuals than Hondas. The Germans have marketed themselves well, Honda could learn I thing from them, s-line, M-sport, AMG etc.

But the Accord is better exclusive, cheap as a Mondeo, but better made.

I had a petrol Mondeo a few years back, still think they are good value at 3 years old, less than half price, and fairly well made, just get rid before 10 years when they fall apart.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did a jaunt a while back from London to Scotland, well, into the Highlands, and saw just FOUR Accords in nearly 1000 miles.

Thats how rare they are.

And since they are rare, more people look at them too because they just don't know what car it is.

I disagree that the Accord is as cheap as the Mondeo. I'd argue Accords carry a higher sticker price by a good 15%-20% over a comparable Mondeo (least thats what I found in my experience anyway) and I am glad its not priced like the Avensis.

An Avensis is about as entertaining as having your eyelids nailed to a pair of revolving doors.

13. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    To me thats part of the attraction and why I chose my accord in the first place. I didnt want to be one of the BMW/audi sheep. We all know how good a car the Accord is don't we. :Happy:To be in the Honda club. yeah!!

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd rather have a Honda packed to the hilt with technology than have a poverty-spec Deutschemobile.

15. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's interesting to read these comments on here regards German cars. My two marques of choice are Honda and Audi, lol.
    I have owned 3 A4's and an A6 and they have all been reliable.i think Audi make a really good looking car.

Regards,

Ivor.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Beyond looks, Audi, by and large are expensive to maintain and generally fair poorly for reliability. Not to mention that if you want half the stuff that an Accord has, say in EX trim, you have to undergo open-wallet-surgery to pay for it too.

Happy to be corrected, but I have still to see a corresponding Audi feature like ADAS for a start!

17. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    Certainly nothing wrong with the german motors its just the world and his brother drive one.

18. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The German motors are a triumph of marketing over substance, they aren't reliable, Honda consistently gets good marks in surveys.

Audis are worst, just badge engineered VW, skodas or Seats. You can get the same tech in a Skoda for less.

19. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm sorry i can't agree with that.Having owned an 09 Superb and a 59 plate A6,in terms of feel and refinement they are miles apart,yet they are built off the same platform. Yes the Audi was £££££ more but you can feel it in the fit and finish and in the drive.I sold both cars to the same guy (both cars were taxi's) and he has told me he will never go back to driving a Skoda now that he owns the A6.

Regards,

Ivor.

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bit of an apples/orange comparison comparing an A6 to a Superb though :Unknown:

You could argue the same about the differences between the Cayenne/Toureg or Phaeton and A8, for example - same platforms, different cars.

But I do concur with Rich on the reliability - German car makers do indeed make more efficient engines (by extension of their German Govt interference on environmental policy and money thrown at it/German car makers via the EU in clandestine methods) in contrast to other car makers - however, German cars routinely score very poorly for reliability. They will always trade reliability and robustness for stupid engine emissions targets dictated to them via EU laws supported by their home Governments.

Thats a facet you simply cannot argue against. The data/metrics prove it.