Off-Topic Is there a major fault on used Nissan Micras??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by vzh7gk, Saturday 10th Jan, 2015.

1. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Perusing Autotrader the other day (as I seem to do all too often), doing my usual checks for LPG, then Bi-Fuel cars within 100 miles of home.
    The first four or five pages (up to about £3k) seem to contain more than 50% or more of used Micra Bi-Fuel cars (didn't even know they did one...). Not in the market for a Micra (particularly after a works colleague's experience with failing electronics), just surprised by the quantity on the market...

Cheers,

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Most probably down to the French connection of Renault?

vzh7gk likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The Renault era Nissan's are riddled with electronic faults and other poor quality items that you typically find in french cars. Avoid like the plague! The K11 Micra will outlive every single renault micra! They probably cheap cos they are a money pit.

It's a shame whats happened to Nissan, big fan of their cars, the proper Nissan's from the past.

4. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Learn something new everyday! :Smile:

5. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many moons ago I worked in a Datsun dealer now known as Nissan, they were a really good car still love the six clyinder 240z all those bluebirds ,180 and160 SSS were great cars,I remember the 1200 engine with the blue rocker cover after a service we used to see how low we could get them to idle by turning down the idle screw around 350 /400 RPM could almost see the fan blades, never get a Ford to do that.
    Now we have Nissan in our dealership and as you say nothing but trouble, shame.

John Dickson and exec like this.
  6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Here here :Thumbup:

7. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Yes, I remember those smooth 6 pot motors, although I ran an RX-7 at the time of the 240/260. Both models seem to fetch plenty money too, even if they need a full restoration...

A silly one (from a Mog pal)) in a list of "Headlines from 2014":

Nissan recalls thousands of cars after discovery of traces of horsepower...

I will now hide or get my coat... :Smile:

exec likes this.
  8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Agreed, I picked up a rust free 98 March about 4 months ago for the second car after the 5th Generation Civic was not financially worthwhile fixing to get through the road test. Cheap as chips to buy and other than a steering gator, tips along (granted slowly) without a fault... now the wisdom of putting a 4speed auto box on a 55hp engine I'm not so sure of.

9. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Shame to hear about the Civic, mine almost went to the scrapyard In the sky but I decided to spend money on it, glad I did ,Love it, fantastic daily drive.:Grin:

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    They are nice to drive, but in fairness I bought it used with a years test (not sure how it passed) for 640 euro. By the time it was time to test again the following were fails, front/rear shocks, ABS accumulator not holding pressure, front lower bushings, rear bushings, and needed exhaust from cat back. The body was rough (minor crash damage not my fault thankfully) central locking was shot, window rubbers needed replacing (windows never sealed right), and a whole list of other cosmetic stuff. In saying that it started and drove every time.:Niceone: I figured it owed me nothing and sold it off for parts for 350. In my books only loosing 300 on a car over a year of virtually problem free driving with an oil change and a thermostat is not bad going. The older Civics were bullet proof and the suspension problems were self inflicted by putting a little more than the recommended weight on/in it :Whistle: pulling downed timber after Darwin, but at least the house is lovely and warm this year!!

11. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ya see your point ,sometimes you just got to cut your losses.

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nissan used to be great til the merger with Renault ruined it! :Sobbing:

It annoys me now to see all these Kumquats and Pukes bought in their thousands by people who would never have looked twice at Datsun/Nissan when they were decent.... Sunnys, Bluebirds, Stanzas, Laurels, Maximas/Maxima QX, Primeras (up to P11 series anyway, P12 was cr@p) Remember Janspeed Nissan Primera eGT driven by Winn Percy and Keith O'dor in Super Touring era of BTCC?, Silvias 240Z/260Z/280ZX/300ZX, Violets...the list goes on. All great cars.

K10 and K11 Micras will run for ever (like all Datsun/Nissan provided they are maintained well!) Micra MA and CG series engines are bombproof it's just the tin worm that will kill them if the bodywork isn't well looked after. We've still got a 13 year old K11 in our family. Can't kill the engine but the tin worm has had a go - had to get a new sill put on for last MOT and I managed to stick the jack through the jacking point a couple of years ago :Blushing: . Having said that the external bodywork aint too bad just a little scab on the rear wheel arches.

We've probably had 20 Datsun/Nissan in our family.....then Renault happened.... :Sobbing:
    - - - Updated - - -
    K12 Micras... well talking to Nissan workshop foreman at the time of it's launch I wouldn't buy one put it that way. Hopefully the K13 is better now Nissan are calling the shots again....
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry I know it's off topic but mentioning Super Touring BTCC and Keith O'Dor reminded me of this:

- - - Updated - - -
    RIP Keith O'Dor.

Last edited: Saturday 24th Jan, 2015
    exec likes this.
  13. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Saw In a old issue of classic and sports car a article on the Nissan factory collection, they have over 400 cars in their museum and a photo of a 1933 Datsun 12 lovely looking thing a bit like a Austin 7 but in my mind nicer ,never knew Datsun to be that old a car maker just goes to show .

John Dickson likes this.
  14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Datsun built Austins under licence in the 1930s. They have an example of one of these Datsuns in Beaulieu Motor Museum I think - its a long time since I've been there.

Datsun was founded in the early 1900s the name came from the initials of the founding members of the company - DAT Motorcar company. They launched a new car called Datson which was a smaller car than the one they already made the name was to reflect its smaller size "son of DAT"

When Nissan bought DAT they changd the name to Datsun because "Son" means loss in Japanese apparently.

hedleyf likes this.
  15. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks ,brilliant bit of info.

John Dickson likes this.
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers Dave. No problem. I'm a bit of a Datsun/Nissan fan (can I admit that here? :Wink:) would love a Datsun Z car a 240Z ideally but they're all getting pricey now unless you buy a complete restoration project.

I've been disappointed how they've gone post Renault merger and, sadly as much as I hate saying it, the same could easily happen to Honda if they don't sort their game out sharpish. :Sobbing:

17. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ya always had a soft spot for the Datsun,really loved those 160 and180 bluebirds, the door panel carvings and scrolls were unusual to say the least along with the first gen Civics and Accords they spearheaded the future of the motor industry and kicked ass to the likes of Ford, also a Mazda fan ,not sure if I should really admit that as I know some of the guys here don't like em. But I do have a lovely B1800 pick up of 1982 with only 17000 on the clock and been in the family since new.

John Dickson likes this.