ICE & HFT Is there any possible upgrade for Audio system?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by intruder, Friday 9th Nov, 2012.

1. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Hi gents :Wave:

Here's my car's audio system, sat nav & LCD screen:

IMAG0790.

Question is... is there any possible way to upgrade this audio system? Maybe by getting rid the whole unit & replacing it by something more advanced? The car is 5 years old and got only CD CHANGER!!! :Angry: Which I can't believe, as in year 2007 audio units with various connections such as mp3 play, usb, bluetooth already existed. Atleast mp3 playability would be great. Now I have to listen music from CDs only! Which started to annoy me now. So I came up with this thread.

Plus.
    I've got button "CD/AUX" which changes mode to play CDs. But where is that AUX? And what kind of AUX? I was scratching my head, but couldn't find out what kind of AUX I might have. Or maybe not have... :Unknown:

Would appreciate any help, thoughts, experience from you people :Thumbup:

Last edited: Friday 9th Nov, 2012
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Install an Xcarlink, it plugs into the aux input on the bottom of the head unit.
    They also do a Bluetooth adaptor, which is what I have installed in mine.

3. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    As others have mentioned there's option out there that give you more input in to the OEM head unit.

I've had a carpc running on the OEM Sat Nav screen, audio input was via a Car2PC aux input module.
    Sadly though pc hit some windows troubles, so I took it out to have a look at it.
    That was back a good few months ago, not had chance to look at it :Sobbing:

Really missing it now with the longer commutes that I now have .. must get round to getting the PC back up and running.

5. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Tell me more about that xcarlink, please. Where can I found it?

6. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks! Looks interesting.
    But where do you keep that unit after all? Hanging somewhere next to your gearstick? :Blink:

7. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

By the way, how big is that unit? It's hard to say from the picture... :Unknown:

8. johnny 5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am also trying to figure this one out. Ideally I would like to put in a aftermarket stereo as although the sound output from the built in thing is pretty decent, aftermarket stereos have more options in terms of adjusting the sound and functionality such as built in bluetooth and mp3 etc. The Xcarlink thing is a good solution but i consider it quite expensive as I would want the bluetooth unit aswell...which would probably equate to the price of a decent bluetooth headunit lol! But i don't want to loose the cubby hole below the stereo as it is awesome!! There is a 'copy' version of this unit on ebay for a cheaper price just f.y.i. which i am tempted with...

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here you go.

HONDA*::*XCarLink

There is also a guide on the forum how to fit it. I'm posting from my phone so I'll dig it out for you later.

Very easy to fit.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks! Looks interesting.
    But where do you keep that unit after all? Hanging somewhere next to your gearstick? :Blink:

You hide behind the dash on top of the cubbyhole.

By the way, how big is that unit? It's hard to say from the picture... :Unknown:

The unit is about the size of a cigarette packet, if I remember correctly.

intruder likes this.
  10. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

hmmm.. :Unknown: where is that cubbyhole then?

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah you might not have it as you've the sat nav.
    I still think you'll hide it behind the dash.

12. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is always this its for petrol only though, there used to be a UK seller bit I can't find it.

I would of got one of these had it been ok with a diesel can't remember why either???

13. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    intruder likes this.
  14. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is always a new head unit but it only fits petrol cars and it aint cheap

Here

Edit: Oops strange thing happened, posted over weekend but couldn't see my post or page 2 of this thread even tried different pc and browser, now it shows up, very strange.

Anyway found a UK supplier for it.

Last edited: Tuesday 13th Nov, 2012
  15. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes, I've seen your post few days go, but I was at work so scrolled very quickly thinking I'll check everything deeply at home. But later your post just gone! :Blink:

Anyway, that head unit is very cool! :Thumbup: Except one note: "The screen will not show the A/C temp or any other info that were shown on the
    factory unit <...>"
    And of course the price... :Aghast:

Last edited: Tuesday 13th Nov, 2012
  16. Sevdawg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought one of those Ebay Yatour "Digital music changer"s and fitted it the other week in the compartment below the radio (no sat nav in mine so i have a huge empty box with a flap :Smile:... ideal . but sadly I consider it to be a waste of time. It works in a fashon. you need to manually create folders CD01 , CD02 etc or it will not work. Random hardly works and just wants to play the same track over and over untill you unplug the USB stick and turn the radio off and on again! Havn't tested out the aux input or the Memory card slot. Regret not spending the extra on Xcar thingie ! Really easy / simple job to do tho

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good to know that bud thanks for sharing that .

18. johnny 5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can you not just create one folder and chuck all your tunes in there? Does that work? Also, whats the sound quality like, is it fairly decent?

19. Sevdawg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

can't fault the sound quality, I tried making one folder and sticking all the music in there, sometimes works , sometimes not, Just the first track in the list will play over and over and over even if you skip :Smile:

20. Sevdawg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update! Have actually got it working properly! Downside is that it only holds upto 16 folders or "CD's" and a max number of tracks 1000 . Anymore and it just confuses it!