Engine & Gearbox Is this supposed to have a cover on it?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Wednesday 14th Sep, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Had my clutch replaced today and ontop of the gearbox there is a bit with an open mouth and I can't remember if there was something connected to it or a cap on it or, can anyone check there 6th gens and let me know please?

pics:

hmm.

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hi exec,

I think I've seen some other 6th gens with that missing. It should have a black rubber (might be plastic) hood. I remember it being a right-angle shape so its effectively a breather I presume, so best not to plug it entirely. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow.
    - - - Updated - - -
    M__1200.

Honda Car and Auto Parts | Honda ACCORD | TRANSMISSION HOUSING (1.8L/2.0L/2.2L/2.3L) | Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda Car Parts Selection

Item 6
    PFKL412659
    CAP, BREATHER
    £7.02
    (€8.21)
    ($9.06)

exec likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    breather cap .. don't be washing your car engine bay or go into huge puddles as water will get into the gear box and rust it before you know it.

exec likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Go back to them and ask for it or ask them to buy you a replacement.

Harvey and exec like this.
  5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As stated there should be a rubber right angle breather boot on there. Its probably been knocked on something when the gearbox was out. Just pop back and speak to them and either ask if they can find it or source you a replacement. Unfortunately small things like this do get knocked off from time to time when large bits of drivetrain are removed. If I spot one on my travels I'll grab it for you.

exec likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thanks for the quick responses guys, I will try and pop by when I have the time, although I suspect its long gone, otherwise just going to buy it myself from HH.

Harvey likes this.
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

good on you. Hopefully you will be able to source one, otherwise it will be just as easy to get a used one from a scrap yard, I am sure Civics will share the same part.

exec likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh hopefully HH will be able to get one, showing up as £7 on Lings, so hopefully few quid cheaper with HH.

Don't really have any decent scrapyards in London, all the old ones shut a long time ago, might have a gander one ebay.

Harvey likes this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@exec that is something of a shame mate, though I suppose London scrap yards would be newer cars and taxi's as the older ones are less efficient in the city and have long since gone.

exec likes this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I go to this one for all my needs.
    Vehicles | Car breakers in London & Kent | Car parts | Scrap cars |

Harvey likes this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    There used to be loads of scrap yards all over the place, but most got shut down and evicted to make new homes for yuppies and foreign investors. I think there is one Jap scrap parts, but i don't know where it is and can't remember what its called.

Thank you legendary :Niceone: will take a look at that, can see one 6th Generation there, shame its on the other side of the river!

Harvey likes this.
  12. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    I was looking for that in my car and I found what I think that its similar
    IMG_20160917_192957[1]. IMG_20160917_193001[1]. .

exec likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thanks jostree, yours looks a little different? might because its an automatic gearbox.

14. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    Yes it has automatic gearbox.

exec likes this.
  15. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom LAN3Y Leicester
    Was wondering this the other day as mine is uncovered also :s

exec likes this.