General Is tinting tail lights legal?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by pastore, Thursday 23rd Jul, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    I wanna tint my rear lights but can't see the law on it on the .GOV website. but I've seen people who have done them.

is it legal? im looking for proof

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Chunkylover53 likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh so long as the reflectors and all are visible, needs to pass the MOT test.

I plan on smoking mine very lightly with wrap rather than tint spray.

4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally never been a fan of the tint spray. . Always liked the idea that things can be put back to standard with minimal fuss. . Hence why I went for the spi vision, ,, will pass an MOT and if I decide I don't want it anymore it just peels off.

exec likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Agreed, spraying tint is also a bit of an arse as bit more work involved, I have a brand new unused set of tint spray kit, if your interested Pastore let me know.

6. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks but not looking for the spray, sounds like i need to get the tint film done, how much do they normally cost? don't wanna get ripped off

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Depends on what size, A4 sheet should be like £2-4, but you will need bigger, I bought an A4 sheet of laminX long time ago and it doesnt cover my cluster and yours is bigger too. So get yours measures up and then search for suitable size on ebay, you probably look up to £10 for a large size.

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Followed a Peougeot today with darkened lights and thought why would you do that? Trouble to see the indicator flashing I thought that was a invite to rear ended.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    His was probably totally blackened like you see on chavmobiles. This is just smoked, just like you get with some cars as OEM from factory, that flyeye vinyl wrap will let plenty of light through.

10. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are possibly right now I think of it I remember the wide wheels ,lowered suspension and of course the plate size diameter exhaust. Strangly though no music blasting from within, must have torn his speaker cones from their mounts.

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Like this:

Tint2001.

They probably just about scrape past MOT. Although they do look good on black cars. :newrussian:

12. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

YAaa cool eh, :lol: Slightly darkened would look good. :Grin:

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    MOT rules state that the rear lights must allow more more than 50% of light through when illuminated and the rear reflectors built into them must be fully functioning and also reflect a minimum of 50% too.

exec likes this.
  14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

MOT rules and regulations state:

1.2: Headlights
    A pair of headlights must: emit light of substantially the same colour and intensity. emit a steady colour of either white or yellow. be visible from a reasonable distance.
    1.3: Brake lights
    A brake light must emit a steady red light. At least 50% of the lamp must be visible from the rear Light must be visible from a reasonable distance
    1.4: Reflectors
    At least 50% of the reflecting surface must be visible from a reasonable distance.
    1.5: Indicators
    Every indicator must emit amber light. At least 50% of the lamp must be visible. Light must be visible from a reasonable diqstance.
    Masks, or converter kits.
    A headlamp or rear tail lamp altered in this way is not a reason for MOT rejection. So long as light outputs are not adversely reduced, it emits the appropriate correct colour and the mask is securely attached.

exec likes this.
  15. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks for all the info, this is the first car site I've joined, looks like a good one, might aswell stay in here.

im getting them done this week sometime, i will add the photos to my garage when I've got them done!

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

which way have you decided to do them, , spray, tint , spi vision ?? are you going to give it a go yourself.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've got to say that seeing well polished and maintained rear/front light glass on a car is probably the cleanest/best look in my eyes. It's personal preference but I don't like them tinted, whether that be black my choice or yellow from age :Laughing:

18. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

im looking to get get it done today or tomorrow, just calling around for the best price, are you allowed to do the front lights too?

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Same rules apply to front lights as rear :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I would avoid doing the fronts, it will look really tacky and chavvy.

I'm looking at buying some of this SPI stuff to try out too for my rear lights.