Tools Isopropyl alcohol

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by scotsgent, Sunday 5th Jun, 2016.

1. scotsgent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Terry Fort William
    This is a useful addition to your tool box for all sorts of residue free cleaning of electrical/electronic components.
    I have just ordered some to clean my MAF and MAP devices. using the 'zip-lock bag method'.
    It used to be easy to buy at chemists but now seems harder to find.

On-line, such as ebay it's available but expensive. Maplins sell a 200ml spray (not as flexible, in my view) for £4 PLUS postage.

I've just found this supplier who ship free of charge at a cost of less than £6 for half a litre, enough to last a lifetime.
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...|prd|0567890&gclid=COy8kPrNkM0CFVXNGwod_7sIUA

Cheers, Terry

Zebster, exec and jimjams like this.
  2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I read the above an hour ago, I'm still waiting for the "drink" jokes to appear LOL

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I always have 10 litres of IPA in the garage it's best thing since slice bread. So many used and so effective. Lol at those prices they are ridiculous you can get 5 litres of it under 20 quid.

4. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    My dad was a computer engineer in the 70's and while working out in Czechoslovakia they started having drums of IPA go missing, about 50% of what they were using. They came in late one night to find the local engineers sat around a table mixing it 50/50 with water and getting totally ratted....

jimjams and Ichiban like this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They are impossible to buy now, even on ebay nearly all are diluted IPA, no more 99.9% IPA.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's far more toxic than ethanol. I hope no body on here drinks it!

The extract below is from this document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/494501/Isopropanol_IM_PHE_150116.pdf

CNS effects include ataxia, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, stupor, hallucinations, areflexia and muscle weakness. In severe poisoning, CNS and respiratory depression may occur, leading to deep coma, cyanosis and convulsions
    Cardiovascular effects include initial tachycardia. In severe cases myocardial depression may develop, leading to bradycardia, hypotension and dysrhythmias
    Other complications may include hypoglycaemia or hyperglycaemia, red blood cell haemolysis, ketonuria, renal tubular acidosis, hepatic dysfunction, rhabdomyolysis, and bronchopneumonia

Zebster and Ichiban like this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    As a former COSHH assessor at a large engineering company, I often had to produce assessments for the use of this stuff. Wear gloves, try not to inhale the fumes and definitely don't drink it!

Ichiban and Nels like this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    If you add enough sugar you can drink it. :beer

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    How does the sugar stop it being poisonous?

Does this also work with petrol?

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It doesn't but thats what A+E is for :stretcher:

Zebster likes this.
  13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Ah, I see.

I just needed to check you were joking!

exec likes this.