Service & Maintenance Issues with Windows , VSA and Brakes

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by K24 CL9 GUY, Saturday 27th Dec, 2014.

1. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Hi guys should probably start a new thread for this but not quite sure how so will follow on from this one....

Have a few issues would like to discuss with you that you might be able to give me some info on that have been having a problem with inconsistently since owning my Accord.

1. Firstly I have a problem where if put my driver side window all the way down it won't go back up? My friend showed me before a sequence of putting both windows down and turning engine off etc to reset it as said thinks window is up not down but have tried this and no longer works. But banging the door does but am worried one day won't and probably when tipping it down :-S
    2. Secondly I find that when it's cold and first start the engine it makes a horrendous noise almost like a sneeze? :-o
    3. Lastly a problem that thought had rissolved itself but came back yesterday is that when have bad weather will but the brake on and the VSA and exclamation in triangle warning lights show up on the dash and traction control is turned off - when need it most? Haven't seen this for a while and when first experienced it had it plugged in n said problem with abs sensor and had it replaced and seemed to fix it but now has came back.
    4. Just thought of another you maybe able to give me some knowledge on is that I have recently had new discs and pads front and rear but am already noticing judder when braking but also steering wheel shaking when go over a certain speed so maybe balancing is out???
    Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I haven't heard of this one before, sounds like the window regulator has gone. @Ichiban, any thoughts?

Try get a video of the noise mate, could be any from ageing spark plugs to your starter motor being stuck engaged.

It's likely still one of the wheel VSS sensors, the best way to go about diagnosing it is to get the codes read again. While VSA modulators have been known to go, it's not very common on the K24s.

I'd say tracking is the first and foremost place to check, as both the 7th/8th Gens have a habit of the rear camber arms slowly working their way out of spec, and only adjustable aftermarket arms having enough adjustability to bring it back in - I've done this to both my CL9s. Also check drop-links.

The rear calipers also have a habit of binding/sticking, worst on the Tourers, have a look at your discs to see if there's any marks from the pads not making full contact.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's a simple fix for this. The issue is simply that you have dirty rubbers and the window mechanism may also need lubing.
    The rubber you need to clean using something like Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl Care. The window mechanism apply some grease to.
    For both you will need to remove the door card.

Sounds like a sticky starter motor but as @DeviateDefiant says, get a video of it.

Assuming you don't have loose wheel nuts, juddering under braking and steering shake at speed are two different things. For the juddering under braking, try doing some harsh brake, find a quiet road, go upto 60mph, brake very hard down to 20mph (making sure it's safe to do so), repeat a few more times. See if this improves things.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  4. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Try get a video of the noise mate.....

Had the video filming, started it up and......didn't do it lol

Has had time to warm up tho as the sun is out n only seems to be when is cold.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The shaking at certain speeds will definitely be balancing and try to find somewhere where they either have a new balancing machine or have it regularly calibrated. I had a bit of a nightmare with the CR-V and it was eventually National Tyres who sorted it because their machine was brand new.

Also worth noting, although probably didn't apply to you, is that of you've been braking hard a lot, especially when coming off the motorway and you have to stop at lights etc don't sit on the brakes as apparently this can cause bits of your brake pads to transfer onto the discs due to the heat and then you can subsequently end up with shaking when braking normally.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yep, this is what the hard braking without stopping procedure I highlighted should sort out.

7. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Now this is interesting as like I said have had this problem on and off since owning the car and seems to go away briefly when ever I do anything like having new tyres put on the having balacing and tracking done but then would go back to have tracking checked again and was perfect. Adjustable Coilovers required then ;-)
    Did have a knocking coming from front left at one point and replaced the wishbones and anti roll link arms replaced which again made this issue go away but to come back again (apart from the knocking)
    Just thought didn't mention that aswel as judder find that if is a camber on the road it trys to pull itself into it, if not holding the steering wheel tight it moves itself :-S
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks Arcticfire and SpeedyGee will try this later on :Smile:

8. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Hey @SpeedyGee and @DeviateDefiant is there a possibility that I bring my car upto Speedy's gaff at some point after the new year and you both meet me there to do a proper check on all my problems have mentioned and can do a full write up on installing the clutch assembly and HID foglights as would be worth its weight in gold for me to get your expert knowledge on what I need to replace/fix aswel as having the clutch assembly and foglights done by you two who have experience in doing it previously???

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's all good with me mate, you'll have to see what @SpeedyGee says though - I know in January there's quite a bit to do on both our cars, and Speedy's invested in a big K-Swap build where parts are already accumulating in his garage.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Got a lot going on at the moment @K24 CL9 GUY, currently dealing with a family bereavement.

They'll be three project cars being worked on in January as well. Mine, @DeviateDefiants and a K-Swap K24 frank engine to build.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  11. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

No worries lads @Nighthawk said has a mate in Gloucester who wouldn't mind seeing so could help me out with the foglights :Smile:
    Look forward to seeing more of these projects you have ongoing :-D
    - - - Updated - - -
    Dropbox - MOV_0062.mp4

Here is a Dropbox link to my cold start sneeze.

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    That sounds like a failing battery - can hear it struggling to turn the starter motor and when it does, the starter isnt disconnecting fast enough, so as @SpeedyGee suggests, possibly sticking as well.

We can make a plan with your fog lights, need to either do it before winter hits fully or wait till afterwards unless you have access to a garage. I have a garage but thats going to be out of use soon storing a friends car who is going overseas for a while.

13. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Ah ha well I knew I needed a new battery from when left my sidelights on while jet washed it n wouldn't start ten mins later so there you go. Will buy that shortly and will stick some new spark plugs in at same time.
    Well if could come down on a weekend can ask my mate if can use his warehouse to do it :Smile:

14. Nighthawk Guest

Get your battery tested for free at some places which is an option before you fork money out - it does sound like your starter is sticking slightly as @SpeedyGee has suggested but I stand to be corrected if I am wrong on that.

15. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I have a battery tester at work and am there now so will see what it is saying but sure I need one regardless as like I said left lights on for ten mins and was enough to have to get the jump leads out :-/
    As for sticking starter motor will I need to replace it???

16. Nighthawk Guest

You are looking for around 12.6v ish with the car turned off, and around 14.4-14.6 ish for a battery when the car is running if you use a multimeter.

I've bench tested starters before - remove it and apply power to it. It has been quite a few years since I last bench tested a starter so I would have to remind myself the exact way of doing it but the spindle should spin and snap out when you apply the power and then retract and stop spinning when you remove the power. Not sure how to test it properly whilst still on the car as I just removed them. I would definetely bench test the starter if getting a new battery doesnt resolve the issue. Chances are, thats the original starter, so 11 years is good going if it is giving you problems but if it was my car, I would change the battery first, if the starter still gives issues, then I would check the starter out by bench testing it (no idea how hard they are to remove in our cars)

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

As @Nighthawk says, your battery is not 100% charged and it does sound like you have a sticking starter motor.

Bench testing starter .. best described using a youtube video :-

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.