Off-Topic It hurts to see a giant being battered

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 10th Apr, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sony a name which is synonymous with innovation and so many brilliant products. It was their electronic advancements which made a Japan a superpower ... and today reduced to a shadow of it past.

For decades the Japanese have dominated the electrical market with the arrival of the Korean manufactures it would seem the Japanese have got complacent and left their guard down. Now the tables have turned the Korean television makers are more profitable than the Japanese manufacturers. BBC News - Sony doubles forecast of annual loss to $6.4bn

http://bloomberg.finanza.repubblica...376-M293KZ6S972901-1ONN1Q6LJJH45FA6Q1LDSGUEGU

I can see the same trend developing in the car segment what will Japan do to recover form this ?

My suggestion to Japanese boardroom go back to basics and produce world class product and superb quality, stop copying what the rest are doing.

2. Riptide Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thing is that's what they've always done, looked at what the world is offering and then make it better and smaller, worked for years and years.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Sony product always had electronic advancements on them, but they were always wrapped up in gadgets and features which weren't necessary on the product and didn't make it any more superior. It was more a magpie syndrome for the gadget freaks and feature hungry consumer. Now people are looking for quality, value for money, and not over priced electronics loaded with unnecessary features.They should have spent more of their money on making their products more reliable so they didn't all break after 3 years use, and focused on the core qualities of their products, not blowing cash on R & D on unnecessary feature which constantly changed with the fashions. They might have had a bigger loyalty base and more returning customers and not be in this mess.

Japans philosophy is all about taking others products and making them smaller, faster and better which is what they excel at. This is clearly different from Sonys strategy of not being better just feature loaded, so I think it would be wrong to base a nations future outlook on one companies poorly judged corporate strategy. The Koreans will give the Japanese a run for their money but it will all come down to quality and innovation which the Japanese already have a head start on.

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Think Doc is on the money there.

I shy away from Sony not because I dislike them quite the opposite I do like their products and have had several items HiFi and TVs and stuff. I tend to go for Panasonic for TV DVD and the like as they are less fussy and just as good if not better in some areas.

As for cars, I think the Koreans have come on massively over the past couple of years from building scrap on 4 wheels to some to be honest quite decent motors.. and they seem to just keep getting better.

I am sorry to say I got into Japanese cars only recently as I always had the old plastic rusty Nissan's in mind however when I decided VW Audi were just utter rubbish which they are now I looked about and was so impressed with the Accords I bought the one I have at the mo. Quality and drive-ability far far far exceeds anything VW have to offer.. Lets face it not much left on them that is either German. Honda I have to say have been outstanding both in the car they built which I now own and the Service they offer. The Koreans have a way to go yet before they can match the quality Honda offer but they will catchup.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I like Panasonic equipment too, not just tv's but hi-FI's also. They don't have all the features of a Sony product but what they do (picture and sound quality) they do very well, usually receiving numerous awards for, and the reliability I've never been able to fault.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I like Sony and nearly everything in my house is made by Sony.I got Sony Vaio laptop,hi-FI,40" tv.PS3 and never had problems with any of them so quite happy to continue using Sony again in the future.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Doc none of my Sony gear has ever broke, I thing Sony was outplayed by the Koreans on price and products being updated regularly.