Engine & Gearbox It's getting hot in here...

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by AccordMavman, Thursday 7th Aug, 2014.

1. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Hey guys 'n gals,
    I'm newish to this great community (altho' I was in the prev Accord Owners club), so am hoping someone will be able to help.

I have a 6th Generation 2 ltr SE Exec which I've owned for over 12 years :Smile: and has now done 173k. It's been very well cared for, with a full service history, but has been misbehaving a little recently so before I commit to another trip to the garage, I would really appreciate your input here. In a nutshell, the engine seems to be getting hotter than it should be. Even after a fairly short run (less than 10 miles), when I'm stationary for more than a minute or so, the temp gauge starts to climb. The fan always kicks in as it should and I understand that it will get hotter when there's no airflow but it's just the rate at which the gauge starts to move that's bothering me. There's no trace of any leaks that I can see and the level in the expansion tank always remains the same when it's cold.The coolant was changed less than 2 years ago (& has been changed every 3 years or so previously). It was last serviced in March this year, the oil is still fairly clean and there's no sign of head gasket failure that I can see. I'm wondering if the thermostat is starting to stick? Sometimes, the needle on the gauge will fluctuate a little even on the move, though not by a lot. Still drives perfectly well, even when the VTEC starts getting busy!!

I'd really appreciate any ideas anyone has, it's such a sweet engine and the last thing I want is for it to cook itself into a volcanic cloud of steam... :Frown:

Thanks folks...

2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello James welcome to HK.

I'm no expert by any means. I would check the thermostat first but you're at the right place many members of the community are experts and will be able to give you far better help than I can.

If the fan kicks in it may not be the thermostat as it sounds like the signal is getting through to the fan but it's worth checking that first.

Is it still on the original radiator as it may be the heat exchange efficiency of the radiator has dropped off for some reason? Blocked radiator core or something?

I hope you get this solved soon so you can enjoy many more miles in your Accord.

We would love to see some more pictures of your Accord as well.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My bet would be on the radiator, 173K has no doubt thrown a lot of crud at the fins.

Welcome to the club, good to hear you've had her in the family for so long.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can you get a photo of the temperature gauge when you think its running too hot?

Mine goes to around halfway within 10 minutes with the weather we're having atm.

5. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes it's still on the original radiator and some of the fins have seen better days, although I think I'm right in saying the air con radiator is in front of the main engine one. But they both look fairly stone peppered, especially lower down. I know that the lower hose should be cooler than the top one, but not sure how to accurately determine how effective (or ineffective!) the rad is before I condemn it. Any ideas on this would be welcome. I'm fairly confident it's not scaled up internally as the coolant's been changed so if it is the rad, I guess a blocked core or a lack of fins that is causing it.

Yes, got plenty more pics so will upload these very shortly.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

James

John Dickson likes this.
  6. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I reckon you're probably right, this was the main thing I overlooked, mainly because I'm used to replacing radiators because of leaks (thanks Ford, VW!) not for a lack of fins!! Do you reckon its worth getting an exchange Honda part, or is the quality of other manufacturers parts close enough not to justify the additional premium that Honda charge? Any recommendations along these lines would be welcomed.

Thanks again

James

7. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I certainly can, so will update on this shortly. What I can say for sure is that it's always gone to about a third of the way up the gauge, the fan has previously kicked in when it's reached the halfway point, but now even when the fan has kicked in, it goes up around 2 thirds of the way before starting to fall, which it's never done before - hence my concerns!!

Cheers for your reply..

James

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I honestly haven't ever had to replace a radiator before so I'm not the best to advise. I can't imagine you will go far wrong with a blueprint replacement for radiators.

The price for the OEM replacement is £192.41 at the list price, our club dealer Holdcroft Honda would come in cheaper with club discount and free shipping (you need to reach "Club Member" rank officially, but if you've been with us since the AOC days I don't see why that would be an issue).

That said, I'm finding the radiators for £50 by third-parties, at that kinda price disparity I guess it becomes a no brainer given the cars age :Smile:

9. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is really helpful, thanks. I guess as always, it's about striking the right balance between price & quality given the car's age. Holdcroft recently became my local dealer (Cheshire Oaks) so I'll see what the best they can do with a club discount, and then work my way downwards from there....!

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can hit 2/3rds for a short while if I really try to push the car but a third of the way is normal and halfway point shouldn't be an issue.

I'll get a pic of mine tomorrow after a half hour drive or so we can compare.

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:Hooray:
    Hi James,

Yes I think the air con radiator is in front of the engine radiator on 6th Gens but I don't have any real ownership experience of 6th Generation so chunkylover will have to clarify that one.

I had the chance to buy a lovely 6th Generation 1.8 Sport once It was a gem of a car ex Honda company car and was an excellent deal. But I dithered and missed out :Sobbing:

Something sticks in my mind that it is to left of engine radiator on 7th Generation but Leo will be able to confirm that for definite.

It is with much embarrassment :Blushing: that I admit that I cannot remember exactly where it is on 8th Generation :telloff::lol:

I would hazard a guess it is the similar as 7th Generation.

Definitely give Holdcroft a try. My experience of pattern radiators is varied.

I had a K11 Micra a few years ago and the OEM rad leaked at 70,000miles. Nissan OEM part was astronomically expensive (Denso if I recall correctly) so I bought a pattern at a fraction of the cost. It went 6 months later so I bought a dearer pattern radiator and touch wood it has lasted well (My parents still run that Micra as a second car runabout 12.5 years old and it pulls like a train the little workhorse it is :Hooray: ).

This is my experience of course. Our 6th Generation members will definitely be able to advise you much better than I can.

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same as 7th Generation 2.0 anyway.

1/3 third is normal.

8th Generation goes to bang on halfway round the gauge -both 2.0 petrol and 2.2iDTEC

Strange thing about I-DTEC is in winter it takes for ever to warm up but at moment with the summer weather it warms up nearly as quick at 2.0iVTEC 8th Generation.
    I suppose it's because the air ambient temperature is so much higher the intercooler is pulling more heat out of the air straight away.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

When you changed the coolant, did you use the Honda ready diluted or a concentrate and water?

John Dickson likes this.
  14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry I forgot to say I think you can run a cooling system efficiency test but never had one done before. Anyone else familiar with this?

15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good point Nels - didn't think of that.

Nels likes this.
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My remaining grey cell fired up tonight :BooYeah:

17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Think mine has just burned out - been a long day. :sleep:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Agree with you there, always a hard decision on what to skimp and what not to.

I've dealt with Cheshire Oaks myself, great bunch there - Lee the Parts Manager at the Stoke-on-Trent branch which the club mostly deals with also oversees them. If you ring the Stoke-on-Trent branch and go through to the parts team there no doubt they can have them at CO for collection if you wish, just state you're from the club and who you are and they'll give you the discounted price :Smile:

Do 6th Gens also use the regular Honda Type-II? Curiosity.

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

All models DD.
    10) Honda all Season anti-freeze/coolant type 2 Honda Part Number 08CLA-G01-8L0

All Honda Models Do not mix with other coolants !!
    Available in 5 litre tubs

There was an issues recently where the use of concentrates and tap water caused the coolant pipes to get clogged up.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Id start by changing the thermostat first. Do a full coolant flush and replace making sure you bleed out at the air from the radiator afterwards.

See how that goes before you start looking at things like the radiator.

Chunkylover53 likes this.