Off-Topic It's Not Fair!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Neil, Thursday 23rd Jan, 2014.

1. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    Since I had to get rid of my Accord I always said I would get back on the road and now I can.
    I have the funds but having not bought a car for over 12 years, I never realised the pain and suffering you go through.
    Have been chasing two Accords, one was a 2002 Accord Exec and the other 2.0iLS both with low mileage and in good condition.
    However what with being messed around and unable to go and view because of the weather, both have now sold.
    It's just not fair....:Sobbing:

I'm limited by how far away a car is because I am reliant on my mate to take me, not fair on him saying I have found a car but it's 100 miles away, so I have been looking in a radius of 30 miles max.
    At the moment there is nothing around that I would contemplate viewing.

Just thought I would add;
    The car must be an automatic and preferably running on Petrol, my budget is around £2k.

Last edited: Thursday 23rd Jan, 2014
  2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I feel your pain mate, I was in a similar position not too long ago, just keep looking the right car for you will come up, are looking at 2.0 or 2.4? when I was looking the 2 litre Accords didn't seem to come up as often

3. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't mind either will do.
    I have seen some 2.4's but they have stellar mileages and I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    TBH Neil, the 2.4's have rock solid reliability, so even with stellar mileage they should be running as smooth they did when they were younger :Smile:

Neil likes this.
  5. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I see, so not something I should be worried about then as I know nothing about the 2.4's.
    I must admit they do look nice.
    Will see what I can find. :Thumbup:

I saw this Accord Tourer the other day but dismissed it, would it be worth viewing?

Last edited: Thursday 23rd Jan, 2014
  6. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    If it's within the distance for you to view, I'd go and look at it, what I did was ring here first 0845 200 8000 with the reg number, this is Honda UK they can give you details of the service history ( from Honda garages)

Neil likes this.
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I would definitely do this but remember that seeing as the car is getting older people may give it to cheaper private mechanics instead of paying Hondas fees. If you can ask the seller for proof in the form of receipts then it should be fine. Best of luck in your search :Smile:

Neil likes this.
  8. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Still nothing at the moment, have looked at a few 2.4's but the way they take the pictures they seem to try and hide any damage.
    I can accept wear and tear but not damage.

It's funny really when you don't want a car there are loads around and when you do want one there's nothing....:lol:

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You wouldn't regret the decision if you did buy one, such a fun car to drive. The ATR is also an amazing piece of engineering, but hard to find one that hasn't been thrashed.

10. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well still nothing......:Sobbing:

I have looked at a Jazz and a Civic but in all honesty I would have to shrink quite considerably to get into one.
    I fell in love with a Civic Coupe in black, which is my favourite colour, but again getting in and out is a major issue for me.

Then I ventured into the realms of another make, have been looking at Mercedes, thinking there are loads around without asking why?
    Spotted a 1998 C240 Elegance with only 79,000 miles and for only £795 and only being 1 mile from where I live.
    Mentioned this to my mate Gary, showed him the car and he said to stay clear, I asked why? he said it's cheap because nobody wants them, they are expensive to run and maintain.
    If it was a diesel then the price would be nearer £3k he said.
    I trust his advice because he used to be the Managing Director of Ford UK and even worked as an MD for Ford in the USA.
    He said hang to hang on for a Honda Accord as it's a much better car and he knows I like them.

11. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well unfortunately things haven't panned out as I wanted them to, took a trip down to Trispen in Cornwall where they have Rowes Honda Dealer and a garage next door owned by the main dealer that sells all the trade-ins to see an 1999 Accord 2.0 ES with only 62,000 miles and it was a lovely car. (now sold - wish it was mine)
    Apart from one problem, it's too small for me to get into, my 5th Generation was a bigger car, the 6th Generation is a tight fit for me and I couldn't safely drive it.
    I tried a Civic, HR-V, CR-V and all were no good.
    I also tried the newer shaped Accords and they too are quite small, there just isn't enough room for me.

So after a bit more searching I have now bought a Rover 75 1.8 Turbo Automatic, 2004 with only 49,000 miles for £1600.

I know it's not a Honda but after weeks of searching this for me has acres of space which is what I need.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well atleast you tried to get the car you wanted,another member here too loved his Accord auto but being a tall bloke he was in pain when he drove it..We even looked at custom seat rails to extend his font seats back to no avail.

Hope Rover keep you motoring fella.:Wink:

Neil likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm actually quite a big fan of old school Rover, the mother has 2 out at their renovation project/farm house in Germany.

She has one with a 2.7L V6 Honda engine, and another which is just for breaking parts off when needed.

Before the buyout and their eventual demise, Rover were a great manufacturer.

Neil likes this.
  14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mmm Rover 827 was an awesome car mate had one it was huge inside and she flew!

Neil and DeviateDefiant like this.
  15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I was at University with Pat Wilkes whose father, Sir Maurice Wilkes, owned the Rover Company. I happened to see the first prototype Range Rover one day when I was visiting Liverpool in the late sixties. I saw this strange looking estate car with a Rover radiator and badge parked in a road off Church Street. I had a good look at it and was puzzled about the model. Some way down the street I met Pat Wilkes who had secured a job in Liverpool. He told me that the car was a prototype of a new model that Rover were going to market. The car had been given to him by his uncle who was now in charge since the death of his father.

So sad that the Rover company is no more. It should never have been merged with British Leyland which saw the demise of British owned motor companies.

Neil and Ichiban like this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The Phoenix Four didn't do a great job at MG either did they. All the did really well was blowing up money on racing projects which got them nothing in terms of sales.. When the penny dropped what do they do go to the Indian manufacturer Tata and buy their Indigo model and re-badge it as the Rover City.:Rolf:

Look who owns JLR its the Tata's so who was the wise one.

Neil likes this.
  17. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wish I had kept my Honda Accord now but then I didn't know what was around the corner and apart from the obvious problems it had, I did have an issue with the auto box which at times used to clonk into gear. This could have been an easy fix with just an oil and filter change but it could have also have been a reconditioned gearbox which would have not been cheap.
    So in some ways I'm unhappy but in others I reckon I did the best thing.

I can always pick up another Honda later on in the year, when there are more around and we have better weather.
    Where I live it looks like a swamp, thankfully not flooded.