Service & Maintenance Jacking and supporting

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by ampers, Thursday 17th Apr, 2014.

1. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    I've checked the handbook and quite a few posts here and elsewhere, and it seems that the jacking points under the cills take the full weight and not either side of the flange as is generally the case. By that I mean the double thickness vertical bit, as shown resting on the axle stand below.
    Looking at the vehicle jack I can see that the notch is very shallow and would only contact the double thickness part and nowhere near the flat bits either side.
    Will these two front points really take full weight of the front of the car?
    My previous car, X type Jag, has flattened pinch weld points on the front jacking points, done by previous owner!

IMGP1076.

I have an Alcan? 2 ton trolly jack for the front and rear lifting points, and two other trolly jacks and two sets of axle stands for the cills.
    P.S. I have a 2010 8th Generation and the picture is a 7th Generation, I know.
    Much appreciate your comments.
    Cheers,
    Ampers.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The picture above shows the correct area for jacking or axle stands.
    I wouldn't contemplate flattening them :nea:
    Are you planning to put the entire car on stands?
    Are your stands strong enough ?

The Arcan is great.
    I've just had one and used it to lift (PFL 7th Generation diesel) the front onto stands to change the discs. Then again on the back.

Hope that helps :Hey:

3. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Nels,
    Not planning to flatten jacking points, just stating that on the Jag, the weight of the car did it apparently.
    Not planning to raise front and rear at the same time either and yes axle stands are man enough.
    Just wondering why on Accords raised flange takes the weight and on many other cars the weight is carried either side of the flange?
    Ampers.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    High tensile steel and good engineering, if you look at all the guides on jacking in supporting in the guides section you will see they are the recommended jacking points.

5. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK. Good enough, just that I have had such problems on previous cars.
    Thank You.
    Ampers.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Wasn't quite sure what you were intending, but with a solid level floor, with 4 good stands, and your Arcan, you could do all 4.
    I like to do 2 at a time.
    Bit poor if the Jag can't be held by it's specified jacking points.

As far as Hondas are concerned, as CJ says, "High tensile steel and good engineering"
    That's why we love them

7. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here is an example of a DIY adaptor for an X type Jag

Header_zps0ca252af.

3ca884e8-132e-45b4-90c4-a9a096067309_zps1de217f1.
    Above shows location, opposite locating arrow on plastic sill, and showing weight taken entirely either side of flange.
    My point was that on an Accord, the weight is taken on the flange but on most other cars either side.
    I was worried about the strength of the flange and whether it was possible for the axle stand or jack to slip off of it.
    However, worries all now sorted.
    Cheers,
    Ampers

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I share your worries about using those stands on the Jag or Honda, as they have the potential to slip / move, but your adaptor looks fine.
    What is it made of?
    What does the jack supplied with the Jaguar look like ?

The stands that some of us on here use look like this..

They have a nice groove for the flange.

9. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nels,
    The adaptor is for sale on a Jag forum.
    I used to use a nylon skateboard wheel with suitable slot cut in the middle of the side/top, the bottom/other side being round fitted nicely into the cup of a small trolley jack.( unable to upload photo).
    The Jag supplied jack was a very feeble scissor type with a deep slot in the top sufficient to clear the pinch weld.
    I have made up several wooden blocks to fit between my axle stands and the Accord sill jacking points but may just use some rubber webbing to provide grip and to protect the jacking point.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Very impressive work there.

Jacks and stands concern me, so when I bought the present set, I asked for advice on here.
    The guys were really helpful
    I feel happier knowing the stuff is stable and stronger than I need.
    You seem to have everything under control.

Ichiban likes this.