Tools Jacks - To Arcan, or Not to Arcan

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by DeviateDefiant, Monday 5th Jan, 2015.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My crappy Silverline jack I brought long ago as a stop gap before investing in something decent has all but bitten the dust, so it's time to get that "something" decent. Budget under £150, unless something seriously amazing crops up.

There's no doubt the club favourite is the Arcan 2 ton jack, which seems to come in variously ever so slightly different configurations from lots of different manufacturers (and likely the same OEM).

Currently, £126.99 here:

Sealey's variant is rated at 2.5 ton for £126.95:

Costco have the SIP rated at 1.5 ton for £119.89 and finally there's the Draper at 1.25 ton for £109:

To me right now, the Sealey is the clear winner as it's rated higher than the Arcan and uses the same dual spring design at the rear (who's to know how much they really differ), whereas the SIP and Draper are single. Does anyone have any further insight into the differences between these pretty similar models?

There's loads more in the £150-200 price bracket too which again share the same DNA without any major discernible differences.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Arcan Ten year old here and still lifts like brand new, Topped up top of hydraulic fluid 100 ml if that !
    - - - Updated - - -
    Personally if wish we got this here I would buy it

we all know cars are getting heavier and lower we have to up scale for these heavy beasts.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I just preferred the external front wheels of the Arcan compared to the internal front roller of the Draper just assumed more stability when lifting the whole car end.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Pretty reassuring man.

Fair point there, £292 to my door from the states - for me right now the improvements aren't worth the bump in price. I'm currently leaning towards the Sealey which is rated only 500KG less.

That's a good point I hadn't considered, but then - I'd assume that the front roller (being a larger surface area) would provide better stability?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Helen been mithering me for her CR-V since I was born so I will bury my pride and let her have one or a HR-V. So with high ground clearance and additional weight you need a jack of all trades LOL

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Hadn't thought about the CR-V, guess you need some pretty high lift (or plenty of wood blocks) to get that up high.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Don't go for 1.5 ton one mate ! The higher rated the jack the better. Look at least for a 2.0 ton one.

You can get Arcan jacks from CostCo.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's the 2.5 ton Sealey I'm eyeing up.

They don't currently list any on the website, reckon they'd have some in-store?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Now this is what I am talking about

Never heard of that firm thou.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Costco website is useless - they don't have half the stuff on there that they do in store. I might be popping past Costco later today, if I do, I will see what they have in there. When I looked a few weeks ago, they did have some nice 2 ton jacks in there for reasonable prices.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

For my level of use and possible future needs, I followed the advice of the guys on here. :Hey:

I ordered mine online from Costco. Easy, straight forward purchase. Delivered to my door.
    Smashing piece of kit. :OTT:

Looks like they are selling faster than they can replenish them though. :Frown:

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I made a £100 offer on an Arcan 2 ton on eBay :Smile:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am sure if that gets accepted everyone one will be jumping on that bandwagon! LOL

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

He didn't accept it, however I just did one better and got the Sealey 2.5 ton for £99: