Engine & Gearbox Jao Import CR-V with low idle ....Please help me!!!!!!

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by slat4090, Tuesday 9th Oct, 2012.

1. slat4090 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dorset
    Hi, My CR-V seems to have developed a low idle over the past few months, and its getting to the point where it stalls when I pull u to a junction. Being an auto, this is a bit of a problem, as having to put into Neutral and restart takes a while and tends to aggrevate other drivers. Any suggestions as to what could cause this? I have replaced leads, plugs and air filters, but still have the low idle.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which generation CR-V is this ? It can be as simple as getting the relearning the idle learn process.

3. slat4090 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dorset
    Its a 1st Generation 1996(N) Jap Import

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok when the engine is warm and when it does idle what is the RPM?

have you checked ignition timing or have a timing gun?

5. slat4090 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dorset
    I don't have a timing gun. Wether hot or cold, it idles at around 150 to 200 RPM. Really low. Does not really change much when the engine is hot either. The engine seems to run fine when you move, and drives well.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    woaah that is low ok on your throttle body on the 1st Generation CR-V you have a idle speed adjuster A.

Idle speed should be: 770±50 RPM in Park or neutral hot engine with no load,but I strongly suggest you get the timing looked at too

RD1 idle speed adjuster.JPG

7. slat4090 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dorset
    Thankyou very much. Will have a look.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. slat4090 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dorset
    I got round o having a play with whats left of the idle control screw. Are they meant to have a very shallow groove on the face? Only just managed to turn it, and revs have now gone upto about 500rpm, which sounds a lot healthier. Do you think I should take it up to 750/800 or leave it as it is?
    Much appreciated advice guys!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    you should get it close to the 770 mark bud as headlight aircon and other load come on it affects the idling at 500 you can be entering back into stall mode with all the load on.

11. slat4090 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dorset
    OK will do that. Thanks.

12. slat4090 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dorset
    Set the idle nicely at about 770/780 and all seems well. fuel economy has improved a little, and the old girl has not stalled for a while now. Thanks for all your help guys.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Slat how is your car been performing lately new feedback since?