Tools Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS)

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Ichiban, Friday 20th Dec, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They say you learn something new every day,call it a clique or a fact but I was not aware of this standard till today.

I was dismantling my first gen speedo binnacle to give it a clean to remove some dust between the lenses and the dials. I wondered why my Phillips head screwdriver will not sit flush with the Phillips head screws on the car. I have 60 piece screwdriver set and it has all the sizes so I have all the bases covered.

So I started to look at Phillips screw driver head and the screws closely to my eye to see what's going on looking it up just by carefully examining and found something really interesting.

The ones found on my first gen look like this (Japanese Screw)
    JIS.JPG
    Phillips head screws look like this
    Phillips.JPG
    So when I used my Phillips head screw on the ones on my car I noticed it never goes to the bottom of the screw it didn't feel right ,it left small witness marks. If the screws are painted it damages the paint. This is because the corner radius of the screw is smaller than that of the Phillips screwdriver scratchchin.

On flanged type of screws you have an visible DOT\dimples to give you easy visibility to use the correct tool.
    JIS dimples.JPG

So I fired up the laptop to see different types Phillips screwdriver an came across this standard and the phenomenon known as cam-out

Based on this new knowledge I learnt today I have ordered a new set of JIS spec Screwdrivers from ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...262773&afsrc=1

No more damages to Japanese Phillips head original. use the right tool.

For more info http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tool...-products.html
    photo (1). photo (2).

BB Baboonface likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Glad it came in handy I have started to check for other bits on JIS register, soon will make a list of tooling we ideally need to work of Japanese cars.

Honda Bikes are 100% fastened by these screws so if you are biker these screwdrivers are a god send. These screws new from Honda range for £2.00 each:Blink: damage dozen you soon figure out this tool will save these screws for a long time and your money.

No more kicking.. cursing and blaming the damn screws! :Smile:

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You learn something new every day, I'd never heard of this before. thumbup.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The designs of the Philips cross section doesn't look as efficient as the Japanese, which I would assume gives you a stronger grip?

Ichiban likes this.
  5. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    how did you get on with the new drivers?, I,m interested to know more, 40 years in the trade and not heard of this ,done some investigating into the JIS screw and found like you say with the DOT on top but still seems to fit normal Phillips driver although you need to find a good fit , finding the best driver to fit this particular screw was a driver out of a Audi spare wheel tool kit which would be a DIN driver? It fitted better than a Toyota one from Toyota toolkit ?
    Several years ago I had a celica with a noise from the petrol tank,took out the sender unit and hey presto a screwdriver resting in the bottom,this was on PDI so assume it came from Japan, left in at the factory, now this driver seems no different than any other and fits the screw no better.
    Decided to look at our tool catalogs,Britool,snap on,facom, and others. No one mentions JiS screwdrivers, now do you not think it strange with the amount of jap cars and bikes and all sorts out there? That no tool company has cottoned on to the idea and potential to market these? Only available EBay, there can not patents still on them I would not think.
    all my time in the trade all the places I worked and all the mechanics I meet and never a mention,so many people trying to sell tools,no mention and yet as you state the Internet seems to make it obvious .
    Any thoughts,
    Confused.

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I noticed the brake disc retaining screws are also marked with a dimple, not quite as tidy as in the examples above but a dimple is there nonetheless.

7. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Even on the pictures above the radius seems similar than a Philips, as you say not as neat and sharp as the icon picture.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The icon is for illustration purposes of course it not million miles off but yes not as square .

9. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

C J how did you get on with the screwdrivers you ordered, thinking of getting some myself but not cheep, do not mind if they do the job and are good quality.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry mate these screwdrivers would beautifully used them on the car and bike and it makes working such a breeze I would anyone to buy them for your tool chest.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Guys,

Due to the migration to HondaKarma we will be losing the blog section I am moving the posts and blogs out of there to the article section, All the above posts are not as of today but a mirror of this conversation below. As I cannot move and perverse the data and time stamp.. all these post were NOT made today .. here is a screen shot of the same to confirm

JIS Thread.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What about Articles ? Will we be moving those over ? If so I think you can promote a Blog to an Article.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Articles will be retained mate in a custom CMS, well spotted about promotion into articles fella ..:telloff: