General Jazz Tyre Deflation - first experience comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eck, Friday 19th Aug, 2016.

1. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My new Jazz is first car with the Honda tyre deflation system.
    I am always in favour of anything that adds to safety.

Changed front left for spare (@1585mls) so that all tyres are run-in.
    About 1 mile later the deflation warning came on, no problem with pressures just the difference caused by the new tyre. Re set the system.

Went round longish left hand turn off dual carriageway, about 1 mile later deflation warning came on, checked tyres visually at roadside, no problem. Reset the system. Checked pressure at home, no problem. Difference caused by long turn compressing right side tyres?

Reports form other Jazz owners of system actuating after leaving multi-storey car parks with long spiral exits.

Is it too sensitive?

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Eck

I have the TPMS on my CR-V.

It caused no issue for the first year. I then had a nail in the tyre and the system flagged it to me. That was excellent.

When the new tyre was fitted, I had a couple of weeks when the TPMS activated repeatedly - interestingly always after I had gone around a particular roundabout. There was no issue with the pressures. I had it checked at a Honda dealer - they found no issue, but ever since they had it there has been no recurrence. Weird.

In answer to the original question...based on other cars I have owned with similar systems, yes I do think the Honda version is overly sensitive.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Eck what you have experienced is normal when you swap around wheels just check the PSI in all wheels for the system to relearn it.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Re-learn with the tyres cold helps. As they cool the pressure drops slightly. Also what tread depth is there between the tyres. A a difference of arround 3mm across an axel can cause a difference in wheel speed.. As in N/S/F 3mm across the tyre and O/S/F 6mm across the tyre

vincemince and FirstHonda like this.
  5. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having seen that the sensors are on each wheel I wonder the software could not be made to indicate which wheel is the concern?
    I suspect it is minimum cost approach but not for the user having to reset a bit more often than is reasonable

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    If the sensors are part of the valves themselves swapping a wheel will put on the deflation warning. The sensors are calibrated and req re calibrating using the HDS if that wheel is to be permanently fitted to that corner.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Now that we have left the EU the one of things we need to do it strip these tyre sensors as a law in all new cars, they need to go. It the EU law which forced us to get them in the first place.

8. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought the speed sensors were on each 'hub', not part of the wheel or valve?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for that.
    Adds to my certainty that a full size proper wheel is the best way to go overall.

But it still does not explain the sensitivity to going round corners/spiral car park exit/entries giving rise to indication, for a small change in pressure due to heating on one side for a short time it is not good.
    Plus not telling which wheel is the problem means the unnecessary stop to check takes longer - no doubt in the rain/snow/sleet!!