Daily Driver Jenny's Motor

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by Olly232, Tuesday 4th Aug, 2015

1. Olly232 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Oliver Wirral
  2. Olly232 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was time for my daughter's '99 Accord 2.0 to meet its maker due to the amount of work required to see it through an MOT. She had owned it for 9 years and done well considering the lack of attention and general abuse. It had seen her through Uni and more besides. So it was down to me to help her find a suitable replacement. She loved her Accord so it made sense to find a newer one. After a week or two of wading through endless adverts we found a local one with reasonable mileage (82,000) with an asking price of £1900. It was an '04 2.0 Executive Touring manual with full service history.

After a quick looking over and test drive I had identified three particular issues. 1. Steering wheel wobble. 2. Suspected noisy steering pump. 3. Cloudy headlights. Checked the front tyres and found one well worn Michelin and an 11 year old winter tyre recently fitted by a dreaded part-worn supplier (why do people get drawn into this. False economy in my view). Many people might have walked away at this point but I could see a potential for negotiation. I have a friend with a tyre and MOT garage so I persuaded the seller to take it there to have the steering checked out. My pal took it through the MOT process and pointed out the noise from the engine bay and reckoned the steering wobble was down to the tyres. That's all I needed to know. £1250 later the car was ours.

First job, two new front tyres fitted and balanced (Goodyear Efficientgrip performance) and the steering wobble was sorted. Next was to assess whether the noise was really the steering pump or had I mistaken it for something else?. A closer look revealed this worn groove in the tensioner pulley and something protruding from the belt. I replaced both in case the pulley bearing was shot although in hindsight I could have just replaced the belt. There was a piece of metal like a staple (I guess it was larger at some point) stuck in the belt. This wasn't the cause of the noise but needed doing if only for peace of mind.

2015-07-19 15.27.15 [1280x768].

With the engine running and a long screwdriver pressed up against possible noise sources and my ear it was soon apparent from the deafening sreeching that the steering pump was the culprit.

I'll resume the report later in part 2.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That foreign object has done a fair bit of damage to the pulleys and belt.

I would try changing your power steering fluid out before you go condemning the P/S pump.

4. Olly232 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm further on from that and intend to write more later. I just needed to get on with some work! I would also have edited the first post but I've not posted enough yet to be able to do that yet.

5. Olly232 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having decided that the steering pump had to go the problem then was to actually find a replacement. Before purchasing the car I had obtained quotes of between £225 and £250 for a Remy replacement. My local motor factors went away to find one and never got back to me. In the mean time I found a second hand one from a breaker on ebay off an '07 petrol Accord for £35 but it was slightly different in appearance - worth a punt. See the photos below.

Here's the original
    IMG-20150729-WA0020.
    And the replacement
    IMG-20150729-WA0009s.

Note that the inlet is in a different location.

The first thing I did was to empty the fluid reservoir, disconnect the return pipe and redirect it to an empty lemonade bottle, blank off the return inlet in the reservoir and run the engine very briefly while turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. I introduced some new fluid at the same time. The old fluid was brown and the new Honda fluid clear.

The replacement pump bolted straight on and the high pressure hose reconnected. I made do with the original O ring, which has so far has been OK. However the original inlet hose from the reservoir is too short so for the time being I've had to tie up the reservoir closer to the pump to make it reach. I topped up the reservoir and carried out another flush using the replacement pump, reconnected the return pipe and topped up the reservoir again. All done and I'm pleased to say it's working fine and as quiet as it should be.

Future jobs to tackle are the cloudy headlights:

2015-07-05 16.54.37.

And the rear bumper not aligned up with the bodywork. I've no idea how to fix this yet:

2015-07-25 14.18.21.

Attached Files:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good work there Ollie, good to hear it was fixed.

7. Olly232 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Speedy. I was concerned that there were other diffrences between the old and new pumps that were matched with a change in the steering racks. Well if there is then its not noticeable so far. I want to get the right inlet hose but unsure where from. My local Honda dealer (Cheshire Oaks) doesn't have a parts counter, the receptionist has to call someone out to meet me. Its the Honda way now apparently.

New problem to look at is the starter not engaging sometimes. Second attempt has always worked, so far. It may sound daft but I'm wondering if it coiuld be the key being turned too quickly and the imobiliser not woken up yet? I just hope that its not the starter motor.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Glad you managed to get the PS pump sorted. A simple test in relation to the starter would be to have the key in the ON position for a second or two before cranking it over.

How about bench testing the starter yourself, its easy enough to do.

Alignment of the rear bumper shouldnt be too hard - it clips into metal runners. I would check to see if any of the clips on the bumper are damaged or the runner guide if it is not pressing back into place again

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Does the green immobiliser key stop flashing when you go to crank the engine ?

As @Nighthawk says try delaying the cranking by a second or two.