General Jenson Button NOT retiring

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AccordCU2, Monday 21st Sep, 2015.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Busa1340r, MickyB, Nels and 4 others like this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Shame to see Jenson go, but I think it is probably a good decision. At least he was a World Champion, and not many can say that. He has always seemed like a really good guy.

He'll be a great addition to the Sky F1 commentary team, too...:Smile:

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I think that will be a good and timely call. He should retire from F1 and move to endurance racing like Mark Webber as over the years World Endurance Championship has become so much interesting.
    F1 on the other hand..

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Would be great to see him go into the BTCC Touring Cars to add some much needed interest on the TV.

Still can't believe that ITV bought it and put it onto ITV4 with hardly any advertising...:brickwall:

HondaHeritage likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I think BTCC will be too small for him. WTCC maybe but all the ex-F1 drivers are currently in WEC with Toyota, Porsche, Audi and Nissan all battling for No. 1 and as far as I remember Ferrari hinted a return as well. Oh and maybe Honda can hire him directly and make him drive the new NSX GT car they have been planning to field in near future.

6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am glad i am not the only one who has a dislike of the wee spoilt brat Hamilton ... as much as i like to see British talent do well ... he is the last person i want winning.

To even talk about Senna and him in the same sentence is grim ... modern F1 drivers are nothing like the older generation ... that was when men were men.

JB will be a massive loss to the sport and tbh i will probably quit watching it when he does.
    he has been a breath of fresh air and always seemed to be a gentleman ... was so delighted for him when he picked up the WC
    always knew it would be a difficult transition for McClaren and Honda but NEVER thought it would be as bad as it currently is
    I am hoping he gets another year but its looks like he is gone
    his one liners on the radio during race on sunday certainly showed that he was not on the same books as the team

Whatever he decides to do I wish him all the best ... plenty of years in him yet as he keeps himself so fit etc. the man is a machine.
    If its not the likes of WTCC he will likely end up doing something in Japan

F1 is so boring now its unreal. its just a sport for those that are completely loaded and with JB going. in the words of Dragons Den I'm OUT

7. simples Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom keith essington
    Hope we haven't seen the last of him. Let's hope he goes with Weber.

8. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    would be a great idea if jenson button joined the BTCC his passion for racing is second to none which is reflected in his lack of demanding ridiculous wages through out his formula 1 career
    i never miss the BTCC on itv4 and they repeat the races regularly through out the following weeks also it is live coverage of all the races and also don't interupt the races continually with adverts
    pit chat is interesting with a great commentary team fantastic
    silverstone this coming weekend on sunday i believe then 2 weeks later for the final round at brandshatch
    - - - Updated - - -
    HERE HERE
    i could not have put it any better
    personally my all time favorite F1 driver
    after several decades of avidly watching F1 my interest has finaly declined to zero so i to (TO QUOTE NSXER) am out

MickyB and nsxer like this.
  9. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    I think hamiltons actions recently, especially some of the comments made about mclaren show his utter immaturity, never thought I would say this but he has even made "Seb The Digit" look humble at points.

I'm gutted, utterly and compleatly that JB is going to leave, but I respect his wanting to do it on his own terms.
    Maybe he could get a job over in SuperGT, I'm sure his missus can introduce to him to the right names.
    I'd like that as Nissans coverage has the same voice overs from the dodgy le manns coverage on Eurosport.
    Just as Long as he says no to rhyming shampoo adverts.

10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's just a pity that mclaren/Honda haven't been able to give their drivers a car that they can compete in. Listening to the communications between pit and drivers on Sunday was a bit down heartening first Fernando retires and then you knew that the inevitable was coming and yes Jenson you need to retire the car Gearbox problem!!! Come on he was having a great race until the bump with the Renault but it must be so demoralising to be in that position when that happens.
    He will be greatly missed I just wonder how long it will be before double world champion Fernando Alonso also calls time on them too.
    It would be good to see JB in the BTCC but I think he will probably go to a bigger series.

11. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

he is too big for BTCC and i would doubt any team could ever afford his services.
    if itv would be a bit more focused they could get BTCC on prime time on sunday ... lets face it what shows does anyone watch that they broadcast sunday mornings and afternoons. stuck on itv4 is not helping the publication of BTCC

JB will likely be in Japan or join one of the other series ... hopefully not wasted and stuck on sly sports talking about F1 which to my mind is a dying sport and is not getting any better any time soon

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    JB will be missed and I can't see him doing any of lower racing leagues , like Mark Webber he may do endurance racing , Leman series or even the Indy car.

I have no problem with Hamilton he just had a massive boulder on his shoulder ,but is equally nor a tad better than JB. JB is ultra smooth whilst Hamilton has the pace.

HondaHeritage likes this.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Based on the comments from RON Dennis on Sunday, it sounds as though Button and Alonso could be with McLaren next season.

Hope so - sure Honda will be moving things in the right direction, and after the pain of this season it would be great to see Jenson profit next year.

14. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

JB going nowhere ... i may yet watch the 16 season

great news for him. hopefully Honda can deliver him a competitive powertrain for next season

Karmadrome likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Happy: :BooYeah: :Happy: Some good news at last.

Karmadrome likes this.
  16. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    JB & FA IMO are the strongest pairing out there, let's hope they give them a car and engine that allows them to shine in 2016.

Attached Files:

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Chaps just see the number of sponsors on the car and the suit. So is Honda filling the coffers?

jimjams likes this.
  19. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Are they not dropping the drinks sponsor because of having to removed it at certain races?

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have changed the title to reflect he is not retiring :BooYeah: