Engine & Gearbox Jet washing engine?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Ben28, Tuesday 13th May, 2014.

1. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    image. So, as you can see in the pic - my engine bay looks like it's done a few tours in Helmand.

A mate said I should get the pressure washer on it, but never done it before and Don't wanna screw anything up. Car has to last the length of the loan : 5yrs

I'm not very clued up with what does what under the bonnet past the basics, or where not to get wet - so anything you can advise on would be helpful :Smile:

PeteMM likes this.
  2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did mine with the engine running and it was fine. CJ uses a leaf blower to dry his after which is a good idea.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  4. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Through experience, I can vouch for CJ's method. Engine and engine bay first sprayed with alkaline, left for 5 minutes to soak in, sprayed with snowfoam, again leave for 5 minutes, washed off with water then blow dried with the massive hairdrier! Excellent and fantastic job. Well done CJ.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Also, diesels engines are generally safer to jet wash than petrols.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I believe all the Honda electrics have water resistant connectors.
    Have a careful look at your additional wiring (can see red, white and black in photo) to ensure it is water safe. :Wassat:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys if it any consolation I have been drowning Honda petrol engines and thoroughly washing them since the late 80's and nothing I mean nothing has gone pop. Use garden hose to wash the foam off the engine never a jet wash, or take the jet lance off your jet wash and use the pressure off that.

Honda engine are as waterproof as your human skin, so go ahead and wash them like you do under a shower. One caveat make sure when you remove anything from the engine make sure they are back perfectly.. otherwise you will know about it when you wash it.

PeteMM likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I have been thinking about this for a while.
    Hate dirty engines, but have cleaned them by hand so far.
    Could you remind me, what products you use to loosen the dirt, oil and grease before the final rinse ?
    Also, do you remove the cover under the engine or leave it on?

The leaf blower may have some extra work soon

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud., nip by if you wanted the undercarriage sorted! I am sure Helen will provide you the endless supply of coffee whilst :Drool: over your CR-V and digging into my ribcage! "I want one"

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will do a thread soon bud with pictures.:Hooray:

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

There's no hurry on my account. She's not too bad at present.
    You've got a little trip this weekend, and that is more important.
    Cheers CJ :Drinks:

12. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Thanks CJ, and yes the undercarriage needs done! Can. You pm me sometime to arrange something. I know you're busy just now with the event at the weekend taking place.

Yes, I'll look for ward to Helen's coffee - she makes a mean coffee!

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Apologies missed this thread RON, sure we can hook up soon.This weekend as you have rightly said I will be at the show and need to get the 1st Generation in order. However if I can squeeze some time I will let you know.

14. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Look forward to the hook-up CJ.

I wish all the Club guys & gals good luck and success Sunday. Sorry I can't be there.

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    RON this weekend any good for you bud? even today!