Off-Topic Joined the dark side...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by exec, Friday 13th May, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ....I've gone and ordered a cycle to commute to work. :Fear:

Thought it might be a good idea with the new cycle superhighways that have been made should make it more pleasant to ride in. Save me hassle of using underground and save a load of money and get fitter at the same time.

Not sure if I will actually get into cycling, so will experiment once my bike arrives and find a good route, then I can enjoy arriving to work all sweaty, wet and shivering in the cold, chains coming off and oily hands and near misses with scum car and lorry drivers. :Baseballbat:

I'm looking forward to it. :bike:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Im going to check the forum rules, this could get you banned :lol:

FirstHonda, Zebster, MickyB and 3 others like this.
  3. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I nogurt pedal bike last spring with thought to come to work every day. It lasted approximately a month. Then I was back in van :Grin:

MickyB, Ichiban and exec like this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    :depressed: What if I put some honda karma stickers on it? :Whistle:Think I have a few lying around somewhere...

My only alternative is going back to using the underground....which is enough incentive to stick to cycling, either way I will have to cycle for at least 3 months to make up the cost of purchasing the bike and kit.

5. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Expensive bike you have bought...

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You sound like a London cyclist already!

I'm expecting multiple videos of stupid drivers and innocent pedestrians while you jump red lights :Grin:

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Maybe I will catch him on my dash cam one day :Grin: wearing Lycra

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Please, please no. :Whiteflag:

Chunkylover53 and legend-ary like this.
  11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:Rolf::Rolf:

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    A very good way to reduce/remove all the down-sides of cycling, but staying on a cycle, is to buy an e-bike kit. The basic kits (wheel with 250W hub motor and controller and small battery pack) start at about £250 (ancillaries extra).

About a year ago I was on an e-bike forum and noticed a hardly-used 2nd-hand kit in the for-sale section. A chap was selling a 250W wheel with a big 11 Ah battery and modded controller and the ancillaries ....for £200. I said I'd have it straight away, drove the 30 miles each way to get it, spent a couple of weeks psyching myself up to fit it, fitted it, took it out on the road and wow it's just incredible. I think I've said before that 250W is enough to reach just over 20 mph, but the controller is normally restricted to 15mph. This is without any pedaling, and 11 Ah will easily go 10 miles without any pedaling at all.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Nah it was a bargain. Payed £212 for 2016 model Marin. Marin Bikes | 2016 Fairfax SC1 | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | ww

It will take 3 months to pay itself off because I will be spending roughly £300 on bike and accessories, so usually I pay around £100-120 in travel fees per month for using the tube, so if I cycle for 3 months I would have saved around £300 in travel fees and the bike would have payed itself off.

That sounds cool but looks naff :Tongue:, need some street cred! :Grin: I did think about buying a single speed bike, but I have inclines on my journey so gears will come in handy and I don't fancy destroying my knees!

I did consider a motorbike, I like the idea of using the Cub C90, but its whole lot more money to run a bike with the purchase price, insurance, tax, servicing, maintenance, parking fees, bike gear etc. Much much cheaper and simpler with a push bike.

Hah! I have been watching cyclist cam vids on youtube, so many scummy drivers:

Might need to buy headcam maybe and record you scumbag drivers, get off our roads! :Baseballbat::toarms:

I'll join that nude cycle parade they do every year :spiteful: catch that on your dashcam. :Blushing:
    - - - Updated - - -
    That sounds very intriguing, can they be fitted to any bike? and are they easy to fit? Might consider one if I do get into cycling, but I would rather just pedal, help me with my fitness regime.

legend-ary likes this.
  14. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I live 1,5miles from work and let's say my accord's doing 38mpg (as per book). So it would take me 2 years to get back cost of my 2nd hand Hardrock. But as I'm riding maybe 4weeks during summer... It would be around 25 years :facepalm:

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You mean like this
    image. :jumpup::gotcha:

Bo_ likes this.
  16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yes, you just have to specify whether you want front wheel or rear wheel, the wheel size, and the axle clearance, and they build the wheel for you.

For a front wheel you MUST have steel forks without suspension, which is what I got from this chap (he wanted an extra £20 for a pair of steel forks in his garage). Although it is easier to fit a front wheel setup including swapping out the forks (which is easy if the headset is "threadless" aka "Cane Creek" aka "aheadset", which most frames/forks are) with hindsight next time I'd go rear wheel.

You don't have to pedal either, my setup has no "pedal assist", just a throttle (lever), but you can use the throttle to give the amount of assist. The other way is to mount a detector on the bottom-bracket but that's a lot of hassle to fit and you need the fittings according to what's available on the bottom-bracket.

Basically I just roar away from traffic lights (pedaling at the same time) and I love leaving the blokes behind in their lycra and fancy helmets, though they can reach a higher top speed than I can. So yes, you can go full throttle and pedal too, you'll get there much quicker, and if it's raining or too hot, just don't pedal.
    - - - Updated - - -
    For 1.5 miles I'd walk to work unless I was late LOL

exec likes this.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You could walk that far and save loads and get exercise at the same time.

18. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walking is boring and I do plenty of exercise in gym:bleh:

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

save your gym money and run to work instead :bleh:

MickyB likes this.
  20. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can't run as I have calf injury. Pulls muscle every time I trie to run. :Ermm:

P.S. Happy now?

Attached Files:

exec and jimjams like this.