Engine & Gearbox Judder when releasing gas pedal

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by V tec power, Saturday 7th Nov, 2015.

1. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Wouter EYGELSHOVEN
    Today my garage replaced the clutch kit, because i was having problems with pulling away in first gear and changing back gears.

After replacing the clutch kit for an original Honda clutch kit,these problems have gone away. But there is still something else bothering me.

When i am driving and shifting up, all is well, but when i am driving in let's say second gear and i take my foot of the accelerator pedal the car judders, when i press the accelerator again the same judder is noticeable.

So i went on the motorway and the car does this in every gear, as long as you keep driving in a certain gear, all is well, but when you release the gas pedal the car judders, slightly push the gas pedal again and again it judders. PLEASE HELP IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY. What could be causing this?

Gear box? Ignition? I know the valves haven't been done yet, the valve clearance i mean

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Kind of sounds an engine or gearbox mount has been missed off or it's a driveshaft issue. Maybe they didn't lock the two offside halfshafts into each other properly.

3. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply speedy gee.
    I had the clutch kit replaced, because of some issues, this being one of them.

All the other problems seem to be resolved. Only this problem still remains.
    I just bought this car about two weeks ago, the car had a pull bar, so I am thinking a caravan might have been used.
    When the garage inspected the clutch, they could see the clutch was, they called it burned. I'm not sure I'm saying this right but that's how they explained it to me.
    The clutch got too hot at one point.
    So I was thinking if this is the case could the gear box have issues as well?!?!
    I don't here any sound coming from the transmission, no problem shifting gears, only the judders I shift and release the clutch pedal.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's hard to diagnose these issues over the internet but it doesn't sound like you have any gearbox issues. I'm placing my bets on driveshaft issues.

BTW see this FAQ on how to mention/tag other members FAQ #26: How do I Tag another member?

5. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee , thanks again for this useful tip

6. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    @SpeedyGee this sounds very similar to my issue? Check my latest page on my project log @V tec power as I have gone through the same story although have replaced clutch and driveshafts now :-/

7. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good evening all.....

I thought it was time to update this thread as the problem still isn't resolved. As i was browsing through th forum i found a DIY thread by @Ichiban .
    In this thread he talks about a hesitation,especially in second gear, this is similar to the problems i have. The solution for @Ichiban was cleaning the EGR plate and cleaning the throttle body. An excellent how to by the way!!!!! So after finishing this job i tried to do the idle learn process.

It didn't work, it seems like the engine doesn't reach operating temperature, so the radiator fan doesn't come on. I noticed the temperature dial goes up and down on the cockpit. The dial doesn't come in the middle, so i thought maybe an temperature sensor?!?!?

I bought a Bluetooth obd2 connector and i downloaded torque pro. There are no fault code's in the ECU. Only thing i did notice was the coolant temperature, -40c it displayed. I thought that this couldn't be an actual reading and i tried a similar obd2 program, still the same reading.

Could there be a problem with the temperature sensor but no fault code ? After browsing the internet, i read something that thek20a6 engine has 2 sensors, one under the radiator, and one located at the back of the engine (near the EGR). The one near the EGR sends the temperature signal directly to the dial on the cockpit.

The one located under the radiator sends a signal to the ECU. As with my reading from the ECU this sensor doesn't seem to be working i am thinking i should replace this one.

Am i on the right path??? should i look elsewhere? Any thoughts?? Help would be appreciated

8. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I wish I could help! It really does sound like the same story I'm having to be fair, as like you, I notice the judder when excellerating in each gear and if coasting so I have been thinking is wheel related, although I have tried many things in this area to resolve it. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong area and is some kind of sensor causing the problem? I haven't done this EGR plate clean you mention but I have changed the wheels, tyres, spacers, tracking and balancing checked time and time again, replaced driveshafts, replaced clutch, had suspension checked over and over again so struggling to find the issue also :-(

Let me know if you find a solution, as I will to you if I do, as I know how annoying it is and feel your pain :'( Where are you based as might be interesting to meet and drive each others cars and see if it is as similar in the feel of it as it sounds from what you describe?

9. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UPDATE UPDATE.......

I am still having this problem, as I have been driving this car for a few months I think I need to explain the problem slightly different.

When I want to drive away and start in first gear, I slowly let the clutch pedal come up, shift up to second gear, from that moment I notice that when I release the clutch pedal only slightly too fast the car stalls slightly, I think it's throttle body related, as soon as the gear is selected and the clutch pedal is released and the gas pedal is pressed there's this slight stalling again . It's even worse when you are shifting down third gear to second, clutch pedal is slowly coming up and for a second or so the car stalls,when I press the gas pedal again to increase speed at the first touch of the pedal it's not a smooth acceleration, a slight judder and while I press the gas pedal further everything is ok.

Done so far.

- New clutch kit (original Honda)
    - Adjusted the gas cable
    - Cleaned the throttle body (took it of completely , refitted with new gasket)

It's not that the car isn't drivable but I don't think this is how a Honda should drive:vtec:. Could it be that the idle relearn procedure needs to be done again?

Something else :SOS:

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Did you ever sort this out? If its constantly over fueling because it thinks it's in the arctic it would cause all kinds of weird symptoms (including destroying your catalytic converter in time).

11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
  12. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are there two sensors? One that sends the signal to the temperature dial in the cockpit.

And one which sends the signal to the ECU?

The one you are talking about is the one which sends the signal to the ECU? Near the thermostat housing?

Funny thing I'd when I connect my obd Bluetooth dingle I always get -40 celcius or something in that region.

When the garage connect their equipment, they get normal readings,or do they get the reading from the other sensor, the one that sends to the cockpit?

13. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I use torque on mine with the dongle as well and it always reports the engine temp starting with ambient and goes up to 90 at which point I can watch a few degrees variation this matches almost exactly with the LPG ECU in mine. There is another sensor in the radiator I believe that has more to do with the fans, some of the temp sensors have two thermostats in them for gauge and ECU. Not sure which yours has.

I had issues with the sensor in a Ford :shh: that caused similar issues to what your describing, almost like the engine was choking then when you opened the throttle it coughed and ran fine till the throttle was full closed again. This extra fuel burned up the cat as well as the o2 sensor. One option is to pick up the cheapest one you can find and put it in to see if it solves the problem, or ideally get it on a HDS. I don't like fixing things by putting parts in, but in this case would cost about a tenner (much cheaper than Honda diagnostics) unless you can get a hold of one for free from a friend. It also will list the idle learn done with a yes or no.

14. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

After reading some more on the net, I think I have the solution. I think it's the TPS sensor in the throttle body. I read that they will go bad.

I am looking for such a TPS sensor, can't find one, only complete throttle body is what honda sells. My engine is a k20a6. Can anybody help me?

Is the TPS sensor of other Honda models usable?

15. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yesterday my garage took a measurement of the exhaust fumes when the car was cold.

0.00% Co, so they concluded that the car was running lean. As the engine warms up the Co% goes up as well, as it should. And when you keep your foot on the gas pedal, it's drivable, but when you take it of it hesitates, if only just a moment and when you press the pedal again the same thing happens.

No obd codes to be read. I'm thinking of changing the coolant temperature sensor this weekend and hope this will be the problem.

ANY OTHER IDEAS!?! THIS IS DRIVING ME MAD .

16. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I feel your pain as I am still at a loss to what is causing my judder :-/

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is anyone else able to help with this?

18. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    v Tec Power, did you ever get this sorted.....I'm also getting -40 from some OBD tool and software, when I start the engine the coolant temperature in the OBD software goes from -40 to erratic values.

19. V tec power Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No I didn't, sadly a few months ago I was involved with an accident. Some idiot ignored a red stoplight and hit me with high speed, car totaled and I was in the hospital for about 2 weeks, nothing broken but swelling in my brain due to the impact I hit my head very hard. I am getting better,one day at a time.

Ichiban likes this.
  20. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    Oh sorry to hear that, hope things work out for you.