Engine & Gearbox Jumping out 5th gear

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Cauf, Monday 1st Apr, 2013.

1. Cauf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    My tourer 2.2 ctdi with 200.000 drives very good but starts to jump out of 5th gear.
    1,2,3,4 are ok.
    While driving on motorway in 5 th you can feel almost no resistance when pulling the gearshifter to neutral.
    The gearbox makes no special noises or anything.
    Shiting gear is no problem and very smooth.
    Clutch is fine.

I have checked kabels and gearoil and they are fine.
    I am thinking of syncr. and/or gear fork.
    Very strange for a very reliable Honda.

Anyone had simmular issues with the gearbox yet ?

Grts
    Patrick

2. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not with a Honda box no, I did have a similar issue with an old Toyota Tercel (yes one of those 4x4 ones years ago) that when everytime you took your foot off the throttle in 5th it jumped out, however it was fine if you physically held the gearknob, I did have it looked at and the mechanic just said it was 'worn syncro' and wasint worth fixing due to cars age unless I could find a cheap 2nd hand box.

In the end I just lived with it

Last edited: Monday 1st Apr, 2013
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sychros don't hold gears in place, they enable crunch free changes by matching gear speeds.

Jumping out of gear is usually a sign of a worn detents in the internal shift linkage or the linkages are incorrectly adjusted and not pushing the gear forks far enough for the detent to lock. In the Honda gearbox boxes these detents tend to consist of a spring and a metal ball.

So bar the spring breaking, there isn't much that could go wrong with the detent, so have the linkage and linkage adjustment should be looked at. You should be able to take the spring and ball out and check both plus the lining up of the groove.

If that all checks out then you could have internal issue ... broken tooth on gear etc

4. Cauf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Is the spring and ball located behind a bolt a bit above the filling-level bold ?
    Because by mistake i have unscrewed a bold ( thinking it was the "level" bold ) and found behind a little spring and a ball .
    So i screwed the bold with spring back in and found out the level bold finds itself a bit lower.

For me the linkage is not adjustable.
    A missing teeth would make some noise , not ?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The bolt with the spring and ball are what hold the gear in place.

So if you unscrewed it, it may not have seated properly. You say you feel no resistance pulling the 5th gear out, maybe the spring has jammed/trapped somehow.

Take the bolt, spring and ball bearing out and reinsert each one carefully.

6. Cauf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have unscrewed the bolt while investigating the gearbox.
    Which one is 5th gear ?

Do you have a explosion view from the gearbox or is there only one spring-ball screw ? I assume not.

Grts from Belgium ands thx for the help.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Commonly done and recently done by another member here.you will need to see if the ball sat in right posting and then get the spring around it You may need to try again as you do not have clean line of sight which makes it slightly difficult.

Dave the member who got it out managed to get that back in no problems.

8. Cauf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone has a drawing of the gearbox ?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    here you go

i-CTDi AOC CN1 CN2 5 Speed box.JPG i-CTDi AOC CN1 CN2 5 Speed box Countershaft.JPG i-CTDi AOC CN1 CN2 5 Speed box Reverse gear.JPG i-CTDi AOC CN1 CN2 5 Speed box shift forks.JPG

10. Cauf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many Thanks

It's bolt 14 that I unscrewed by mistake.Next to bolt 27 ( oil level )
    Which shift axe is 5 th ?

Last edited: Tuesday 2nd Apr, 2013
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well I gathered that without the need of the picture :Wink: just keep on trying.

12. Cauf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's bolt 14 that I unscrewed by mistake.
    Next to bolt 27 ( oil level )

Which shift axe is 5 th ( 1,2,or 3) ? . I assume 4 is reverse.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Cauf, I'd imagine it's the one nearest to the differential side of the gearbox, so if you were looking at the gearbox as it is in the picture, the rightmost bolt of those three.

What you can do is get someone to to put the car in the fifth gear a few times, whilst you watch through the hole. This should confirm which fork line is for fifth gear.

Also make sure you do the nut upto correct torque.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds