Electrical & Lights Just bought a 05' FR-V and today things are playing up.

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by cya_lai, Sunday 31st Jan, 2016.

1. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom cya Plymouth
    Hi everyone,

I have just bought a 05' FR-V 2.0, it is quite special being a 6-seater. Roomy enough inside to accommodate my kid and my wife's crazy shopping (normally 7-seater boot space sacrificed); and outside it's no different from an ordinary family car. Also with the i-VTEC which actually helps fuel consumption. Great car it is...

Ok, so now the not so happy bits:

So I have just taken a few photos outside the house (added to Garage) and tried to park it neatly, start the engine and have the A/C turned on... engine cuts off (fan still runs); started it again with ONLY fan turned on... engine cuts off (fan still runs); started it again with all things OFF, engine starts no problem, switch on FAN or A/C and engine cuts off quite suddenly.
    Restarted it again with everything's off, took it for a spin and on the way back trying to switch on the fan/AC, engine cut off.

This is very strange and have no idea what happened. My guess is something not mechanical but so sort of electrical short circuit/sensor related issues, because once engine cut off, the fan keeps running, it's almost like the engine rev suddenly drops and stalls.
    Since I am rubbish at any electrical, hope there is someone with similar experience can shed some lights (or perhaps it's indeed mechanical?)

P.S. all fuses checked OK, and it only happens today, yesterday (when I bought it and drove home) nothing was wrong.

Thank you!

2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Welcome, sorry to hear of the problems.

Google Honda IAC faults and see if the descriptions are similar, you can usually clean them out pretty easy and they do occasionally give trouble. They adjust the idle speed to match the load of the alternator/compressor. It might be the issue, but some of the more knowledgeable folks will be around and lend a hand as well. Hope the fix is quick and painless.

"took it for a spin and on the way back trying to switch on the fan/AC, engine cut off"

Was the car moving and in gear when the engine died on the way home or were you stationary?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What happens when you switch on other loads other than A/C (rear demister, full beams) etc ?

4. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@jd1959 @SpeedyGee thanks for the advice, and I will surely look up for IAC faults and try putting on different loads and see how it goes :Thumbup:
    and yes the engine cut off while car was moving and in gear!

Hopefully the fault isn't something really expensive to fix, oh well anything could happen to a 10-year-old car and luckily it's a Honda so hopefully not too dramatic.
    Will keep you guys updated :Smile:

5. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    If it was moving and in gear it probably wasn't the IAC, which leads me to the limit of my knowledge :Unknown:. Speedy is by far a better troubleshooter as is several other members here. Any other symptoms that you can think of at the time it stalls? Any check engine light, juddering, stumbling etc?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The reason I asked the question about what happens if you increase the electrical demand on the car by means other than switching on the A/C was I was wondering if the issue was a seized A/C compressor pump or if the issue was related to electrical system.

Let's get the answer to this and then we can progress further.

7. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply and give advice on this, very much appreciated.

@SpeedyGee so this evening I had another tests by adding extra electrical loads (front demister, just FAN) and engine cut off either car was still or driving in gear.
    Interestingly though just switching on (CD player, back/side mirror demisters) all at the same time didn't trigger the cut off, both still or driving.
    It's only when the Fan or A/C is on, the engine rev just drops and cut off.

If I don't start the engine at all (keeping in key position 2), all electrics work fine.

I am wondering is there any sensor which will short circuit and cautiously cut off the engine/fuel?
    Or perhaps the earthing issue?

Thanks again everyone!
    - - - Updated - - -
    I should of mention that there is no CEL on the dash, and I haven't got my OBD2 kit around so couldn't inspect any stored code.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think the next thing to monitor would be the battery voltage just as you switch the fan or A/C on.

To me it's looking like the car needs to be seem by an auto-electrician.

9. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee, thank you again for your advice, so to update where I am now, I had a chance this evening to look under the bonnet as I asked someone to help switching on/off the AC while I was looking.
    It seemed like the AC compressor clutch+pulley somehow locked up and dragged the belt with a hissing noise -- and the engine struggles with that extra load and cuts off.

However I don't have much knowledge on the AC system, I couldn't tell if the compressor is seized, clutch is bad or the bearing is damage... or perhaps other sensor/relay that can cause this happening?

Luckily at least I am certain I can drive it safely as long as the AC off (relieved at last), the reason why previously the engine cuts off when Fan is on (is because I kind of mis-judged with the Auto mode which still requires AC assistance).

Anyone has recommended Auto electrician down in West Sussex? (as I stay here during weekdays)

Thanks again for everyone's input!

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    If the ac compressor is the problem you probably need a HVAC person not an automotive electrician. Good call Speedy, and at least your one step closer to sorting the problem :Niceone:

11. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@jd1959 yeah you're probably right -- HVAC indeed, but I just want to confirm if it's the compressor itself.
    Perhaps I should try loosen up the bolt and belt and see if the pulley can spin, but well like I said I am not competent in this area so better ask some knowledgeable people here before I mess thing up and create a bigger problem :Smile: haha

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It does sound very much like the A/C compressor has seized, was it noisy prior to this problem occurring ? Possibly a seized bearing but that won't have happened all of a sudden, should have progressively got noisier.

Also removing the belt and trying to spin the A/C compressor won't work. Firstly there's a clutch on it that will need engaging and secondly it's not easy to turn even when it's in full working order.

I would just hand the car over to a HVAC person. Be prepared for the bill though as a new A/C compressor isn't cheap I'd imagine.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

14. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Nels, well sorry I have been on holiday for the past few weeks so hadn't got a chance to bring the car for checks.
    In the meantime I just switch off the air-con as an interim fix.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP. Just update us when you get it resolved.