Tyres & Wheels Just broke my wheel nut key!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Saturday 13th Jun, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Guys!

Any tips on getting the Mc Gaud locking wheel nuts off without the key? My key just broke apart!

I have replacement nuts at the ready.

Photo on 13-06-2015 at 20.05.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Where you using pneumatic or a powerful impact driver? the metal on locking wheel nuts is soft and that damage is too much torque.If you have the key code you can get a replacement key.

3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    No I was just using my normal breaker bar. I reckon the key wasn't seated on the nut properly. I use a torque wrench to tighten my wheel nuts.

Where would I get it from, contact Mc Guard direct? I kinda need them off soon!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah mate get to the manufacturer do you have the key pattern code?

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    If its the one on the key then yes!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ah, no thats not the key code...Could be tricky in that case!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Do you have the outerbox it may be on that or a small card with the key code.

7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    No, can't find either of those things. My key came in a bag with the dealership name on. My car folder doesn't have a key card.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tough you will need to get those locking wheel nuts off with a extractor. That why I prefer Honda ones if you have this issue Honda dealers have two dozen keys they can try and the one which works they can order the key for you even if you don't know the code.

Aftermarket you are stuffed.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hmm, I'm slightly confused as to why my car would not have the original Honda wheel nuts on!

Oh well, looks like I am going to have to talk to some garages or get an extractor. Might give the bash a socket on technique a go!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's the problem people who think once you lose your Honda locking wheel you need to remove them and go aftermarket which is quite the opposite you can get a repalcement with Honda , people don't know that.

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Got a replacement wheel locking nut key for the Civic (as I lost it) from HH, cost me less than a tenner.

12. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    Your dealer should have a complete boxed set of McGard sockets. If they are any good and you speak nicely to them they may undo the nuts for free

nauest likes this.
  13. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Are the McGaurds the original OEM nuts then?

14. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
  15. daniel99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My daughter didn't have the nut for her aftermarket locking wheel nuts on her Suzuki. I managed do buzz two off using my SDS drill on hammer only with a spike. The other two wouldn't budge so I managed to find a local garage that had a removal tool and he got them off for £20. she then had to buy new set.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am sure they don't have any marking on the OEM locking wheel sets to say they are manufactured by McGaurds,and by looking at the first picture that does not look like the OEM Honda one.