General Just crashed sob sob

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by marculos, Friday 17th Jun, 2016.

1. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    Just drove into the back of a bus as you do, how hard is it to replace the bonnet, front wing and headlamp ? The insurance company will just write it off. Gutted .. just spent best part of a grand sorting the clutch :Frown:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Very sorry to hear this @marculos ! Hope no one was injured.

Parts are readily available and working on the front end is a doddle. Wait until to see what insurance company do before you fix your car.
    If they write it off you can get the car back off them and repair it. Don't do anything before that.

3. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    Thanks @SpeedyGee . So they say its a write off, A company will take it away and then I can buy it back if I want, though I haven't agreed to anything yet. I have a fair bit excess. Any idea roughly how much they would sell it back to me for ?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Probably around the £700-£900 mark minus your excess is what you'll have to pay them.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is there any damage to the bus?

If not, it's probably not worth claiming against your policy if you have a high excess.

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Ohh.. sorry to hear that @marculos.
    As SpeedyGee says, let me put all the offers infront of you and then decided what to do. Do you have pics of the car? maybe we can assess if its a panel damage or does the damage go deeper.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not sure you can do that these days. No doubt there will be a passenger claiming whiplash on the bus, impact may have been like 5mph and the bus won't have moved at all.

Worth a shot though.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  8. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    13435356_10153565007062477_665735116174734926_n.
    Very much appreciate your help here everyone. Looks like new bonnet, front wing, headlamp , bumper and unsure bits underneath that may have broken

9. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    WP_20160617_09_14_13_Rich. Hoping this is fixable

Attached Files:

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I might be wrong but to me that looks like a part swap job + maybe the bumper crash bar might replacement.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You may well have damaged some parts here too.
    Have you had the insurance people inspect it yet?
    They should be able to guide you what needs replacing.

12. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    They havenet inspected it yet. Looks like the front bumper beam needs replacing too.

Attached Files:

13. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Sorry for your misfortune but as has been said glad no one was injured.

14. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    Its only metal bits at the end of the day, just a PITA as really need a car over next month. The insurance company won't inspect it without me making a claim. So I am a bit concerned if they only offer me say 1800, minus excess and then want say a 1000 for me to buy it back which wouldn't give me enough for the parts. No way to know until I make the claim. I'm getting a mechanic over to see what he thinks before I make the claim. Thanks for all your help.

15. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I'm no expert and perhaps the laws now different but years ago an old boy crashed into my Renault 18 ( remember them ? ) the insurance people inspected it at my house. They wrote me a nice letter stating it was uneconomical to repair but would I except a chq for £800 towards repairs.
    I bit their arms off as I'd only paid £100 for it six months earlier !
    Funnily enough I had just a new clutch fitted that's why it was cheap. So you never know, as its 12 years old its in insurance terms vertualy worthless so I doubt they'd even bother spending £200 to have it picked up. Just see what happens Don't get into car hire cons etc and ask for great advice on here, good luck.
    Perhaps you could borrow friends car or buy a banger on eBay for 3-4 hundred which you can resell once sorted.

legend-ary likes this.
  16. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've Had 2 technical write-offs. In both cases I drove the car home. An examiner came round checked the car and said it's technical right off and here's your £xxx. I kept the car in both instances without paying squat and used the money to repair the car myself and still stayed insured on the same policy.

stuscrv likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If they write it off the car is no longer yours. So I'm not sure how your insurance company handled that one.

18. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    Operator on phone was clear as mud .. I think I have to make a claim to get the car inspected it seems then I speak to their recovery dept if I want to buy the car back

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That sounds about right.

How much damage was there to the bus. ?

If there wasn't any/much then maybe speak to the bus company and try and get away with not making a claim.

20. marculos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark Leicester
    there was some damage to the bus see pic. Just had father in law take a look. He agrees with me that damage is just superficial so worth saving. Sorry to be stupid what difference does it make if the bus company claims and I don't ? WP_20160617_08_01_28_Rich.