General just how stiff is the ride on humps bumps and potholes?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by honda888, Monday 5th May, 2014.

1. honda888 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi just wanted to know is the 8th generation accord too stiff on uneven surfaces how does it ride compared to ... lets say a toyota avensis does it soak up potholes well ? Or is it quite bad?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Accords are primarily known for offering a comfortable, well refined ride so no worries there. Though obviously the size of your tyres matters quite a bit, if you're going to have 18 inch wheels then no car (apart from the Accord) would ride nicely on British roads.

The other 8th Generation owners will be able to give you a more precise answer though.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like Chunky said Accord is a comfortable car and ride is smooth.
    My 8th Generation is on 18 inch wheels and can be a bit harsh over potholes but I avoid them where I can anyway.
    Never driven Avensis so can't compare the two.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Gonna slyly edit my post :lol:

Nels likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My old 7th Generation when was super soft over speed humps, it just soaked and dampened the bumps so well. My newer Facelift 7th Generation has firmer suspension which helps handling even more, but still cushions the blow on bumps far more than any other car smaller than a 4x4 that I've been in. I do fBoth of mine have been on 17s.

Accord's are renowned for their comfort, 18s will be a lot stiffer in general - but they still great compared to another manufacturer's comparable model on 18s.

Of course, stick on some horrendous budget tyres and you'll soon start to compromise the ride :Icecream:

6. honda888 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a test drive on my mates 8th generation today and it just didnt ride the bumpd potholes aswell as my 2005 honda Civic lol somethinh must not be right as your approach uneven roads and potholes you can hear a heavy thud not sure what size wheels they on but on 17 it should be better right? And whats is the best make of tyres to put on to have a softer ride cheers guys

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @Zoran can probably give you some good advice as he's owned both the 7th and 8th Generation Accord.

As for tyres, just any of the big name brands, Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama and Continental etc. making sure they're reinforced tyres.

8. T10KJC Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My wife has 09 plate Civic Type-R go over a match stick it feels like a pot hole ,so my accord fells fantastic can't fault it .

9. honda888 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would of thought the 01-05 Civics are softer on the suspension the the 09... and is the 2.0 petrol auto accord decent on power for everyday commutes for local drivea and dual carriage ways?

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

01-05 Civics have a really good ride to be fair and I know for a fact that they go better over potholes + humps than my 6th Generation Accord (that said the tyres cost £30 each new so I've gotta get round to that soon). BUT, when it comes to the motorway + smoother roads in general, the Accord excels in all aspects.

70mph on the motorway in the Civic was hell, even with the stereo turned wayy up I could hear so much road noise. With the Accord, very little road noise in comparison.

11. T10KJC Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My accord is diesel my wife say,s it too slow compaired to her Civic ,i think it,s got plenty of go ,my previous car was a mondeo new shape personally the accord power,s over the mondeo .

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The 01-05 Civic was very perky to say the least (auto trans), when I tried it. Didn't get a smooth enough ride out of it but it was the first time I'd used auto transmission (didn't realise it would move by itself which scared me nicely :lol:)

13. honda888 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys my last car was the 2005 honda Civic facelift version auto 1.6 vetec ... yes the car gets noisy on the motorway which is the reason that im after the 8th generation honda accord and it sounds to to me its much more quite then the Civic low and high speeds so the only thing i wanted to no does the accord ride better then my 05 Civic on local uneven roads and potholes that is the only hold back for me at the moment if it rides worse then a Civic ill have to pass

14. honda888 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I only driven my mates 8th generation accord 5 mins and not sure he lives far away for another test drive lol ...but for a big car it didnt feel right with me goin over crap roads around london ddidnt suit the car of this size was expecting to glide through wirh no fuss... might buy another Civic or try a lexus

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They're digging up the road by me so I've got raised man hole covers and a decent drop between the two surfaces. The car is smooth but firm over them with no thuds that make you think "Christ have I buggered my wheel!" It never feels harsh but it does make me wonder what driving on 18" wheels would be like as I wouldn't want to drive like an F1 driver on a warm up lap.

16. honda888 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lol i heard the word harsh quite a lot to describe the Accords ride hmmm

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like I said earlier my Accord feels good to me on uneven roads etc.
    It does make thud noise when I hit the pot holes but my car is on 18 inch and sport suspension but also like Racy Jace said it's nothing that will make you think if wheels will come off or not.
    Just book a test drive somewhere and try it for yourself and see if you can live with it or not.

18. honda888 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok maybe need to try on 17s should be better i hope

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The faster you go the better the damping is on this car. Under 30 mph on crappy surface it can get jiggerly but its not bad by any means. The suspension plus the comfy seats make it a great balance. This in turn allows the car to go at a brisk pace down country lanes and car feels composed and planted.

The only thing I'd add to this car is a stiffer anti roll bar. Lowering springs would only make the car look better so that would be another compromise to think about.

20. T10KJC Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My accord on 17,s my wife,s Civic 18,s 2 differant cars i know but must admit a lot smoother in my accord handles pot holes & speed bumbs a lot better than the Civic ,the road handling is fantastic in the Civic but feel every bumb,the accord is comfort & smoother.This my opinion only.