Reviews K&N Panel Filter review

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by Ichiban, Sunday 10th Jun, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    An independent review for the K&N panel filter before and after on a dyno.

Primarycare likes this.
  2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    These look good but are they worth the money? Performance hike if any is marginal unless you look at manifold/exhaust mods to but then you will want to do the cams oh and big valve ported and polished head to :Smile: those were the days... Used to enjoy doing all that stuff in my youth..

Never fitted these to my more modern VW and Audis I had in the past as they had a reputation for wrecking the air mass, never a problem on my MK2s though but to feel any discernible difference it always involved manifold and exhaust changes. Have to say I do like the sound of these filters Cone ones are better but the element ones are cool if you drill out the air box which is what I used to do on some of my bikes.

All good fun

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My 2 pence on FI force induction car these panel filters are pointless.It been sometime a file uploader in the West Yorkshire area conceived a bunch gullible Accord owners have these panel filters for the I-CTDI. These were being sold as performance mods for increase power the first batch produced more issue than produce any good.

These accord Owners were left with broken filter and with no performance gains, but all of them were convinced the car sounded different ..:Whistle:

A guys did exhaustive search on the I-CTDI intake system a few year ago and the conclusion was the stock system is perfect. No aftermarket bolt on could improve the performance it made things worse.

Primarycare likes this.
  4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Spot on as above CJ. I was given one of these performance filters and it never went on my car.

Primarycare likes this.
  5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    CJ / Paul

Agree I would not trust these and if my all be it limited exposure to Honda is anything to go by, leave well alone the stock setup is most probably best.. If you have a German car then yeah go for it very good on BMW I hear...

No kidding, forget these. They can make a discernible difference on sport/semi sport and tourers (bikes) but often lead to carbs requiring jetting unless you have injection.. A decent can also helps..

As for sounding better I can not think how? The cone has a bit of a nice induction rasp but the panel filters unless you mod the air box you can't hear them.

Money better spent on some decent oil :Smile:

6. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Was thinking of getting a K&N panel filter, do you think its worth it on the 2.0 CL7? I have one on the 6th Generation and have no complaints about it.

7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Aftermarket panel filters are often sold on the basis of improving performance but they only do this if you a) had a completely clogged up stock paper filter or b) you remap your ECU afterwards.

They are washable so you can reuse them. So if you want to send less waste to landfill then yeah, go for it. But the stock filters are so cheap it seems like a pointless expense in my opinion.

Any improvement in performance on an otherwise stock engine setup and ECU map is either because the old filter was bad or you are experiencing a placebo effect.

8. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    I'm personally staying stock on my K20 Stream intake. I upset a Type-R Civic last night keeping up with it. Sounds great over 5 thousand revs.