General K Series Valve Adjustment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Monday 22nd Dec, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I quite like this guy, seen a few vids of his and being an ex Honda mechanic, he seems to know his stuff even if he does take a few shortcuts at times.

Either way, thought this might be interesting for those few on here with the 2.4ltr K series engine

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I haven't had to adjust any valves for years. I'd forgotten just how much fun it was.
    Some useful tips there aswell.
    Thank you for posting @Nighthawk. :Smile:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Some of the things this guys says wind me up sometimes. So fair play that he has warned people that if they are going to do this they need to do it properly but then he goes a uses feeler gauges that are on the tight side of spec. Why ?? Why not advise people to try use feeler gauges that sit you in the middle of spec.

That way even if you are slightly off, you should still fall within the spec. :disagree:

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I haven't watched it yet but does he mention about the exhaust side being hotter?

I do like watching his vids though! Actually I think I've watched this before and he does mention it.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

His general explanation of things is excellent but he has a habit of either going against convention or just throwing in howlers.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I have always gone mid-range when setting the gap. Everyone does it their own way, it's the result that counts. If, when you've finished, she isn't running correctly, or as well as you want, you will just have to go back and do it again. I personally would also run the engine for a while, let her cool down and re-check the gap. Is that OTT or OCD? Don't know. That's just me.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've done plenty of clearances on K series engines and never had to go back and redo them again or gone back to recheck them. As soon as you start up the engine, you can tell from the sound whether they are correct or not.

Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's me and my inner doubt and, being in the habit of checking, and re-checking what I've done. Wasn't questioning your ability.
    I know you're far more experienced with them. I'm sure you could even pick out many issues purely from listening to the engine whilst it was running.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I agree with that, I always get flak for hearing noises but you do get to know your car so you also know when a new noise is probably not right. I can still hear a noise which I could previously hear and got Honda to investigate, it's far quieter now and they said it's normal and nothing wrong but my gut tells me something is there lol

10. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been watching Eric the car guy since he started. Taught me a lot of stuff about cars. I pretty much do all my repairs now.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say the opposite the guy is any grease monkey who can make a video ,I was taught the correct way by Honda, don't take shortcuts.Shortcuts are taken by Amateurs not professionals.

So ETCG in my eyes is for Amateurs. Sorry to be so blunt but its the truth.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The mark of a pro is to cross check everything he does no matter how much pressure you are under to get it done.Nelsy don't beat yourself about knowledge. I have seen your car and you can't get to that level of reliability on the I-CTDI is not an easy tasks. So what you been doing for those 8-10 years means you are doing something which the others don't have a clue about.

Basics are the key sometime that what all it takes,I call regimented service regime not governed by notes in your wallet. :Wink:

Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thank you for your kind words @Ichiban. :Drinks:

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So ETCG in my eyes is for Amateurs. Sorry to be so blunt but its the truth.
    - - - Updated - - -

But I am an amateur and so are his followers. I would disagree with you about him being a grease monkey. He was taught by Honda/Accura too and worked in a dealership for many years. I think he takes a lot more pride in his work than I have seen by any mechanic that I've come across. I don't blame mechanics either as they have to do a job in a set time or charge per hour and can't overrun as customer would feel ripped off. Hence the reason I do my own repairs.

If you don't like him you must at least like Ed China?

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes we know this but his methodology goes against that teaching, he even mentions this in some of his videos. Ed China gives better advice than EricTCG

kes likes this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    There's no doubting @kes that regardless of his previous experience, he's pretty far away from the Honda/Acura ethos these days. He's good at spelling out how an amateur can achieve a goal, but not so good at explaining the proper way to do things and the reasoning behind the methodology.

If you dig into one of the workshop manuals and look at proper procedure, with all the specific tools required, well researched tolerances/torque specs and safe-guards - you'll soon realise there's a better way to do things.

I don't deny he's good for Joe Bloggs trying to get a job done with a basic toolbox, but sometimes he can be pretty cringeworthy, like running pumps dry or the insane dangerous way he goes about shock absorber spring replacement (in the end, he goes somewhere with the proper tools, that tells you something).

I think the point is, look at him as one way to do things - and always research others too.

kes likes this.
  16. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay fair enough I see your points. Thinking back he does do the odd cringeworthy thing. I still think he's the best on YouTube though. As an amateur he has taught me quite few good tips that have got be out of a bind which have been invaluable.
    Talking about grease monkey ever seen Scott Kilmar he's hilarious.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Maybe another way of looking at it is that at least he's doing the videos.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I agree with you both :Thumbup: There's no one else on the 'tube that has covered so many aspects of Honda ownership and how to achieve lots of common tasks.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've always said that he's great at explaining things (for which he deserves credit) but he has some dubious methods of doing things. I think that's a fair assessment.