Civic K20 engine in Ariel Atom and McL F1engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Monday 7th Sep, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Does anyone know the story behind Ariel Atom using K20 engines, did they buy the engines directly off Honda?

Also why did Honda refuse to make a V12 engine for the McLaren F1? Seems like a bad decision as it would have brought more kudos to Honda, but i'm guessing as they didnt have a production version of a v12 they didnt want to build one?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You can buy K20 crate engines for racing via Mugen IIRC a motorsport outfit can apply for engine only request subject to vetting procedures.

As for V12 pass they have bigger fish to fry with the existing F1 engine which is the laughing stock of the paddock.

exec likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I see, regarding the V12 I was talking about the McLaren F1, the supercar from the 90's that was designed by Gordon Murray who benchmarked it and took inspiration from the Honda NSX, they approached Honda and asked them if they would build and supply a V12 engine for it but Honda said no, so they went and bought one off from BMW instead, which I think is a real shame.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry mate wrong era ..:salute:Most probably Honda is always concision about the footprint to the environment even back then they were anal about c02 and saw the V12 as the dirty engine.

5. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    Yep, on the HPD program you can/could buy K20's, CR-Z'ses, Fits (Jazz)... New Civic bodies for about 5k... I believe Mugen parts can be included in the scheme.

To be a member of the program you have to have raced in either a IMSA or FiA league and hold a (proper) race licence. Not sure about the McLaren question, though I'm sure with enough gentle prodding I could find out.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Or be a recognised team/motorsports producer. The prices are very good indeed.

Attached Files:

exec and Ichiban like this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Interesting, those engines are cheap!

It would be good to find out more info on the Honda/McL F1 thing.

7. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

I'll see what I can find out, one theory that's been discussed over lunch already is the "Rover break everything" theory. The engine design/supply deal Honda had with rover might of had a supply for road use exclusivity clause - but I don't know anyone that worked at the rover plant in management so that's entirely speculation.
    - - - Updated - - -
    And yeah! HPD's scheme is brilliant, catches kids right from karting (and from 50ccs and up) and helps them achieve a career in motorsports a lot cheaper then having to buy at retail prices every time they pop a valve or hit a wall. It's a bit like the Honda cup car system but realistically priced. proper good of them to do it too.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Porsche not Honda*

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Can I ask where you work? It it Honda?

9. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm retired....
    - - - Updated - - -
    :ninja:

exec likes this.
  10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    you might need this for your avatar in a few years from now ....

e384b66d08a1e121a4ee2faed0f15b0b.

11. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

Waking up isn't a problem, getting out of bed however....

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ^ but you're getting closer to the day when you won't wake up :eek:

13. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

We all are, some quicker than others... :professor:
    I get to use a carbon fibre walking stick and wear sunglasses inside though so I'm ok with that.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Car Magazine actually did a full feature on the F1 and spoke to Gordon Murray and Peter Stevens and according to them: "The plans were for either a 4.5-litre V10 or V12, but then all that changed. ‘Suddenly someone in Honda marketing decided that with the next crop of Hondas coming out – I think a 3.0-litre V6 was going to be their biggest engine –this was going to be a step too far from a marketing point of view,’ says Murray."
    full read here: McLaren F1: the inside story by Peter Stevens, Gordon Murray by CAR Magazine

15. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

Ah, I guess that would be around the time of the Japanese bubble pop and the economy failing. Which seems like a really poor reason for scuppering such an awesome plan :Frown:.