Engine & Gearbox K20 series engines!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Friday 13th Mar, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Have to say these Honda K20 engines aren't the quietest engines when you accelerate (not harshly ) when cold, mine's the K20Z2 and last Civic Type-S was the older K20A2, both exactly the same clattery tappet noise , quietens down when engine warms up, shame Honda never improved on that aspect !!
    just thought I'd share that bit of useless information!!LOL
    Cheers Pete

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not really found any of my K Series engines to be clattery. If you put a towel over the injectors and actually listen to just the engine, ideally with the aux belt off as well you will find that actually the engine itself is remarkably quiet.

What I do find is noisy when cold are the petrol fuel injectors.

If the engine is clattery usually means its in need of valve clearance adjustment.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mine 2.4 petrol makes a loud whining noise when its cold. so loud I can hear it in the car. But seems to dissapear when its warmed up. Never got to the bottom of it.

But mainly I find the 2.4 to be sooo smooth. its the main reason why I never made the jump to diesel... I just can't stand the noise.. (no offence to diesel owners!)

I especially like the noise at 7,5Krpm to :Smile:

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Does the whinging change with turning the steering wheel Tony ?

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

you sure you got plenty of oil in the sump ;-)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ah no not really, just in tune with the engine revs so don't think its the PAS pump??

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yeah. So it could be one of the other pulleys making the sound.

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Do you think it could be a tensioner or something. whats baffled me is that it goes away once the engine is warmed up. I was planning to change the aux belt soon as its past the good mark on the indicator. I wonder if the main tensioner is noisy??

8. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    May well be a combination of both in that case, at least it's fairly quiet in the cabin when warmed up, rather have those tappets slightly noisey than too tight.
    Cheers Pete

9. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I might be wrong but I read somewhere the K series engines are direct injected, and that such engines are noisy anyway for that reason?

I could be talking a load of balls but I thought I'd throw that suggestion into the mix!

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No, K series aren't direct injection.

I think the new Earth Dreams engines are though.

Galgo likes this.
  11. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahh right, must have got it mixed up with something else then!

12. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    The problem is that whining noise goes away, which is a shame cos it reminds me of a supercharger :Tongue:

Which is something I need btw :Grin:

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Lol I could pretend its a supercharger.....in fact I will from now on.

14. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Almost all were not, but they did put out one k20b in a JDM Stream (RN5) 2003-2006. 156ps/6300rpm 188n-m/4600 it was meant to be able to do ultra lean burn at 65:1. My guess, only the few have ever seen one and unfortunately I'm not one.
    2.0i-VTEC I

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Nice one Zack, didn't know about that one.

16. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    It's one of the many things I like about JDM Honda they like to play with the technology and trial different things long before they hit the mainstream production lines. I'd love to see what on that engine carried forward to the newer direct injection ones. Unfortunately my take on the k20b is that they are like hens teeth, only a handful were made and even less left Japan.

SpeedyGee likes this.