Engine & Gearbox K20A Oil Pumps in a CL9 (K24A3)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dinoc, Wednesday 30th Sep, 2015.

1. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Has anyone replaced the stock oil pump from CL9 with a k20a oil pump from EP3/DC5?
    I'm wondering how difficult is it and does this remove the balance shaft from the CL9? Any gain in HP after doing this?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    dinoc likes this.
  3. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Is it safe to install this using a second hand part (like from used EP3/FN2/DC5) ?

Something else, do you know if our cars have oil cooling systems like the type-r has?

4. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Hmm interesting 6BHP I might look into this

5. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I saw 10hp on another forum lol , but I won't do it just for this I'll do it if I want to rev it higher .

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's worth while doing if you are doing other engine mods at the same time. Not worth it just to do this on it's own.

This coupled with a lightened flywheel totally transform the way the engine responds ... @DeviateDefiant can tell you about the difference.

dinoc likes this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The common route is using the K20A2 pump (EP3/RSX) but owners of those vehicles themselves often upgrade their pump for track use as it doesn't stave off oil cavitation the best at high RPM, it's certainly a big jump up from the stock K24 pump. That's the same pump used in the JDM EP3 and DC5 too. The FN2, CL7 and CL9 all use a balancer shaft.

Honda improved on the EP3/DC5 oil pump design for the FD2 making it far better at maintaining consistent pressure at high RPM. The S2000 oil pump can also be made to fit with a bit of work and is again considered better than the early K20A pumps.

As @SpeedyGee said, I've got a Toda modified FD2 oil pump in mine. Toda improved the FD2 pump further and released their own kit with uprated chain and their own baffle plate design.

Toda reckon around 5hp gains from removing the balancer shafts on a stock car, with about 4KG weight loss. Of course that improves proportionately with the power the car is making, here's a shot of a built FN2 before/after:

honda-civic-fn2-balancer-shaft-delete-removed-kit-oil-pump.

The R40 block on the K24Z3s aren't compatible, you can't bolt-up the windage trays. The crank has smaller oil passages compared to the older designs, you'd have to tig weld and tap new ports to make an older style pump fit. A lot of ballache.

dinoc likes this.
  8. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Yes thanks for that I think is worth only if you want to Rev it high like using k20a head and so on, otherwise is to much job for the gain.
    Very nice that Toda oil pump mate!

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd say with any K24 getting mildly built a EP3 oil pump should be used at the least, it's just going to be better for the engine's longevity in the long-run.

10. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Yes I understand that, but removing the engine from the bay only for this is not worth it IMHO. If it didn't have to I would have attempted.

By the way do you know if our engine has oil cooling like the type-r has?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You don't need to remove the engine from the bay, the sump is easy to remove in-place, the timing case cover is a bit more tricky but can be done according to @SpeedyGee.

But yeah, we did it while the engine was out as it was definitely the best time. Took us maybe an hour? Most of that was cleaning up sealant and preparing mating surfaces :Laughing:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

K24A3's have oil coolers. K24A2's (used in USDM) don't.

dinoc likes this.
  13. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Interesting that we have and they don't :Smile: