General Keep an eye on your dashcams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Wednesday 7th Jan, 2015.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As the title states, if you have a dashcam keep an eye on it and make sure its actually recording. I currently have a Mini 0801 which I assumed was recording 24/7 (last time I checked was in October and that was the case). Unfortunately I was in an accident last week and found out that the dash cam was no longer recording and hadn't done so since Boxing day!

I've tried to find out why, so far to no avail - for now I think that it may be down to the hard wire installation going wrong somewhere. Either way in the future I'm going to connect the dash cam via the cig lighter so at least I can hear the turn on tone each time I start the car to prevent this happening again.

2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Could be some fuse blown? What happened in the accident? Hope nothing serious.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thought so too but the camera was working when I plugged it back in. I guess it just couldn't cope with recording 24/7. Everybody was fine fortunately, all I have to do is fit a new bonnet. There is no real need for the footage unless a bogus claim comes through.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It will probably be the Storage I/O error which they unfortunately suffer from. Taking the card in and then out can cause this usually so if you had been checking footage or had the card in and out on Boxing Day then the error may have occurred, no noise is generated and it simply stops recording after about 30-60 seconds - which is a real pain because it will record at first making you think all is well and then quietly stop!

It can be a little touchy with card types and apparently Samsung SD cards work best. I have mine hardwired and sometimes it turns off early in the morning before I get in the car because of the battery protect system doing its job. As soon as I start the car it powers on and never has this error, which is why I believe it only occurs when the card is removed/inserted. It also happens sometimes if you manually stop recording to check the footage or format the card or something.

My camera is right above my fov so it's easy for me to quickly glance up and see the blue light flashing and I always do before setting off and then again after 1 min because I'm aware of this Storage I/O error. The only downside to the positioning is if I have to pull my sun visor down because I can't see the light then so I have to make sure I remember to manually check after a minute of driving.

I would guess that your battery has never gone low enough to turn the camera off otherwise you would have heard the start up chime. I would keep the hardwire kit in place and keep an eye on it, worse case you could always disconnect the "always on" wire so that only the "ignition on" wire is connected which would effectively be the same as plugging it into the ciggy lighter. But again, the Storage I/O error could still happen and unless you remember to check the light after a minute then it's not going to help doing this or plugging into the ciggy lighter.

Unless the hardwire kit is actually faulty of course - but I'd do some tests first :Smile:

vzh7gk likes this.
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well my camera has decided to die - no lights nothing. Bitterly disappointed as it barely lasted for 6 months (though it was running 24/7).

Full marks to Amazon for refunding me in full.

I have now gone ahead and purchased a Mini 0806 - admittedly from China but I got it through eBay and from a FoxOffer who are a highly respected seller of the Mini range of cameras. The new camera has parking mode so even though it will be on 24/7, it will only record when motion is detected.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear Amazon sorted you out.

Let hope new one lasts.

I'm guessing your old one blew a capacitor, did you try running it from a different power supply ?

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Aren't the MINI range known for being unreliable?

Also those motion sensor are supposed to be unreliable, they trigger at anything.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The earlier ones don't have parking mode which operates slightly different from just constant motion detect, which could switch off at traffic lights when no motion is detected and may not start revising quick enough if something happens. Apart from the storage i/o issue I've found mine very reliable especially for the price. Good to hear amazon sorted things out, will be interested to hear how the 0806 performs.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tried running it from PC USB port and nothing happened. In the past that process would "unbrick" the camera.

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Sorry to hear your camera died and about the accident.

There were issues with the 0801 model, most of which were fixed in the 0803. The 0801 and 0803 models both suffered from an incompatibility issue with SD Cards over 32GB in size, or faster than 'speed 6'. No idea about the 0805 or the 0806. I've readsome great reviews on the 0806, so I'd be keen to see how you get on with it @Chunkylover53 .

One issue I had with the 0803 and the 'motion detect' was that it would stop recording at traffic lights (as @ArcticFire above mentioned) - I'd love to hear if it works properly in the 0806, and keeps recording at traffic lights.

My cameras (I have one front, one rear) both make a little beeping noise when they start up, and everytime I look in the rear mirror, I see the flashing blue and red on the rear facing camera. To check the front one, I need to look behind my rear view mirror to see the light. Good point on people needing to get into the habit of checking every now and then that their camera is still recording (or even turned on).

One thing I also try and do (when I remember) is to take the cameras inside and clear up some of the video files, so the SD card is not always running at almost full. I try to keep a few days worth of video clips, just in case I am asked to look back at something that I might have recorded, but not noticed.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Excellent point, I didn't check mine for months - I only paid attention to the dash cam when I witnessed something I wanted to upload or when I suspected a speed cam flash so I could keep a log of my speed.

I had the same issue on the 0801

0805 and 0806 are basically the same except:
    0806 has lenses that adapt well to the dark (which is when I do more miles)
    0806 has a smaller battery capacity
    0806 has much better ventilation
    0806 allows a CPL lense to be fitted to reduce glare
    0806 has 2560x1080p 30fps 21:9 ultra wide resolution capability
    0806 allows for 2 micro SD cards (256gb capacity if maxed out)

I'm looking forward to the camera and hopefully it will serve me well.