Electrical & Lights Key Fob Remote Battery

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by foxleys, Tuesday 26th Feb, 2013.

1. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi

Has anyone changed the battery in the remote key fob?

I like to change mine every 3 years & the little Phillips screw seems to be different to any small screwdriver I have.

Is this an attempt by Honda to force their clients to get them changed at a dealership at 2 or 3 times the cost from Amazon etc.?

Any hints?

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I took a 7th Generation Accord remote apart only two weeks ago, used a standard small screw driver from my toolbox.

Didn't even need to go upstairs to get my mini screw driver set.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I use my mini screwdrivers as I am very particular not to round off screws and leave witness marks. I am very fastidious when it comes to nuts bolts a bit of OCD to leave things as you found it.

Anyway coming to the topic, I say to everyone if your car is 3 years old from new change both batteries on both of your remote fob. The 7th Generation uses CR1616 battery.

You don't want them to go dead if they do then it to the dealers to recode the keys ,for a few pence change them.

Have a look at this thread too http://hondakarma.com/posts/32702/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Thanks for your replies, I feel a bit stupid as my mini screwdrivers would not fit the cross head screw, but I found a very old small cross head screwdriver and it worked fine without damaging the screw.
    Many thanks
    £1.69 for a pair from a well know web book supplier, a lot more from a dealer me thinks.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just a reminder fella my fob batteries have gone weak, just ordered two CR1616 to avoid a fob pairing loss.

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If the fob batteries dying causes a pairing loss then how do you stop the same thing from happening when you change the battery?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Provided the battery is not totally dead you can stop pairing loss , loss of power means lost connectivity. When you find the fobs not responding in a timely manner you want to change the batteries.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry Image quality sucks

Just changed both sets of keys batteries all good both work perfectly and the range has improved.

Simple change really get the correct JIS head screwdriver and remove the screw on the back of the key
    photo 2(1).JPG photo 3(1).JPG photo 4(2).JPG
    Then on the side the small slit using your nails spilt the case.
    photo 1(1).JPG
    Taking a bone dry old toothbrush get all the caked on dirt brushed out from the cases and the buttons..You will surprised there is a lot.
    Then take out the fob internals
    photo 5(2).JPG photo 2.JPG

Split the fob from the bottom first
    photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

Get your battery
    photo 1(2).JPG

Place the top of the battery with the writing of the manufacturer into the back shell facing down until its seated in correctly.Join up the fob internals again.

When you joining the outer case back make sure the upper ridge (Towards the keyring eye) is seated in first and look around the edges the outer shell is locked in and gaps are good then put the screw back in not too tight.

Look at the spare key never used, change the battery also. You never know when you want to use it and a dead battery won't get you far always do them as a set for piece of mind.

photo 5(1).JPG photo 4(1).JPG

legend-ary likes this.
  9. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Mine is starting to get weak, time to get some batteries and possibly some JIS screwdrivers

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does anybody know if the 8th Generation flip key fob uses the same batteries and are they easy to dismantle?.....I also have worn buttons on one of the fobs (looks like womens finger nails) and would like to replace the buttons/shell but can't find anything other than OEM main dealer, has anyone else refurbished their 8th Generation flip key fob?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    From what I gather it is also a CR1616 battery. Perhaps someone could confirm that.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I too would say the the same However if you were to remove the back cover off and look carefully,the battery specs is embossed on the fob controller in small font.

13. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok will check that, thanks, now just need to track down some new buttons!