General Key issue...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Pilot, Sunday 14th Feb, 2016.

1. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    So I'll attach the image of what I have left of my key, don't ask how or why lol. (I still have the module for key to work)

Thing is, if I buy aftermarket key fob, it will always have to be cut. Is there anything I can do with my original key, is there a cover or fob that sells so I can mount this key? Because the authentic ones come with these things being moulded in plastic, so there is no way to just put them in the new cover...and I really want to keep my original key...any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A new key cut from Honda you know it will work then? How did you manage to snap it ?

3. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

But a Honda cut key will be like £150...

And this was my backup key, it was on the loose side since when I bought it and what happened was....basically my primary key battery died, so I had to get the backup until my battery arrives...and the day batteries arrived I was doing my shoe laces and when I stood up and picked the key up...which half of it was below my shoe it snapped. Sounds ridiculous I know so believe it or not, that's what happened lol. So now this in theory is my backup key, but I need to get it fixed otherwise there is no backup. And the thing is, I had similar type of key for VW once, I had bought replacement on ebay and when cut it just failed to work, the locksmith guy was like 'no guarantees' for his cut due to the fact the key wasn't provided by him, and surely enough it didn't work...it didn't even go in fully so yeah...not sure. I'd go for genuine key but like I said, that has to be worth a ton...and for that ton I could afford genuine Honda service, which when compared sounds ridiculous...key price of a service.

4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I'm sure I've seen replacement "shells" on ebay for these keys, but it was a few years ago.

There will probably be loads of "shells" on ebay, maybe search there. You would need to transplant the RFID bit into the new shell, but the buttons will be the biggest problem ....you will need the unlock button on the fob to open the car, on the 7th Generation Accord the alarm will always go off if you open using the key in the door, but you can still start the engine with the key if the RFID is in the fob (you can permanently disable the alarm siren by pulling the 4-pin plug out of it, it's in the offside rear wing).

5. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I still have all the insides and the RFID, buttons, the casing is the only thing that's trashed beyond repair, and I did look on Ebay for just the shell, but no luck...seems like everyone is just selling the fobs with 'uncut' keys... grr....

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why not buy a fob with uncut key on ebay, then swap the key & RFID, maybe even button(s) if you're lucky.

picture of spare fob/key from my car if it helps (mine is Tourer btw)

key is held in place by the screw

IMAG0390.

7. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thing is the key is not being held by a screw. Thre screw is just to hold one side of plastic cover while other side has the key itself fabricated inside the plastic....which can only be removed by braking it...like I did

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think that the screw holds the plastic pieces together and also helps to keep the key stable (hence the hole in the key in your picture)

I'm sure that someone else (on another forum, a loooong time ago) managed to find a suitable "shell" on ebay (not sure if the "shell" was part of another key or not). It might have been a replacement Civic key.

9. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately, like I said the screw only holds 1 side of the cover, the other side has the key inside the plastic and there is not much you can do...

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When I got the Edix one of the keyfobs had a cracked case, I simply bought an empty case off ebay and transplanted the blade and the immobiliser transponder thingyduffery over. That's how its been since and never had any trouble from the key at all.

11. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Maybe it's different key, but you can't transplant Accord key without ripping the uncut key or your original key out with the plastic which will require proper force...I mean sure there is probably a nice way to do it like melt the plastic with a solderer or something like that, take it out and replace it and then melt the plastic back together but I am not exactly handy like that lol...grr not sure what to do...

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if you can't do the DIY conversion yourself then your choices are very limited.

As mentioned in post #2, a new key cut at Honda dealer is guaranteed to work.

If you get a blank key on ebay, the metal of the blade might be low quality, and then you still have the issue of getting it cut somewhere, so possibly best to avoid getting a blank key and then getting it cut.

Finally, if you don't think that you can transplant your spare blade into a blank key, ask a locksmith if they would be prepared to do it, or possibly a mobile phone repair shop (they are skilled at gluing and screwing plastic)

A few youtube videos on the above.

This chap is in the USA and he shows the range of Honda keys/fobs and points out that not all blanks are good quality

It looks like this guy went down the route of getting a new blank and getting it cut, basically a pointless video, but at least they are Honda keys

Finally, this guy shows how to transplant the blade into a new "shell", and even though it isn't a Honda key, the process should be similar

SpeedyGee likes this.