General Keys from another car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Saturday 31st Jan, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Wondering if theres any use in keeping keys from other cars. I have two keys from my dads old 6th Generation which were scrapped, can they be reused in any way? before i chuck em away.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I assume the transponder can be recoded for another Accord?

Also I'll happily take the keyfobs if you have no use for them?

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unfortunately they are keys only, but i completely forgot about the fobs until you mentioned them now! I'm not sure what my dad did with them, the main key was given to the scrap dealer, not sure if he had a spare fob, but I will ask him. I think I have a spare one from my car somewhere but it doesn't work properly, the lock button thing is worn out, I did buy some of the button caps but never rally got round to repairing it, let me know if you would be interested. I'm not 100% sure that one will work with your car though as its the 3 button fob for the saloon boot.

The keys are cut different so I guess they are not worth keeping as you would probably need the oroginal key barrels.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I can't see the value in just the keys themselves, as you say they're useless without a matching barrel and can't be recut. Posterity? :Laughing:

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It's just a shame to chuck em away, they are practically brand new :Sorry:perhaps I can make some sort of decorative to hang on the rear view mirror. :poke:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Spare keys from others car are only good for a swingers club mate.

Chunkylover53 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Are we talking from experience here Ichiban? :spiteful:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    lol no mate..

9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I guess I'm abit sad, but I still have the key for my first car, which was scrapped about 8 years ago!

As stated though, they are only any good if they have a matching barrel, however thats not as far fetched as you might think. Chances are there are only so many Differs to the whole of Honda, you are almost guarenteed there will be another Accord out there with the same keys, the only difference will be the transponder code used to start the car.

exec likes this.