Engine & Gearbox knock sensor

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rocker167, Friday 8th Jun, 2012.

1. Rocker167 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Has anyone replaced the knock sensor on a 1.8i VTEC accord 2001 got the part but how to locate it and is it an easy fit.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    See toward the exhaust manifold on the cylinder middle of the cylinder head you will find the sensor. why do you need to change it thou what DTC code are you seeing?

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They are quite a common* failure CJ

* as common as Honda failures can be :Whistle:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Search:I didn't know that , I do now :Wink:

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

more so on the 2.0.

That may be because there are more on the road thinking about it. I'd imagine they are the same sensor :Rolf:

6. Rocker167 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm getting p0325 code

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup a P0325 DTC is a Knock Sensor Circuit . Has there been any electrical work on car or shall I say splicing and dicing of cables on the harness? if so you may have to do some continuity test between ECU connector terminals C3 and body ground. C3 is the knock sensor feed.:Wink:

If so you haven't had any electrical issues then first do a ECU rest one method by the scanner tool or just disconnect the power cables to the battery for 10 minutes. After reset go for a long drive if you do hold the car at 3000 RPM until the radiator fan comes on.

Rescan if the error come back you know the sensor is faulty. :Thumbup:

Let us know what happens bud.

8. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Sorry for raising an old post but what does the Knock Sensor do please? I still have pinking at hard revving in third, and in sixth fast uphill. In the old days, on old cars, I would turn the Distributor left or right a little. Is this still the case or does the Knock Sensor do this now?

Honda found no problems with the Timing, and I only use BP or Shell 97 RON.

Ta

Phil

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 13th Aug, 2014
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    A knock sensor is like a micro phone, it listens to engine ignition. The aim being to listen to when the ignition occurs. If the ignition occurs before the cylinder has reached Top Dead Centre (TDC) (and therefore before the spark ignition has occurred) then knocking/pre-ignition/pinking has occurred and this is not good for the engine. To counter this the ECU will retard the timing and alter the fuel mixture until the knocking stops.

So you are correct that timing will be retard but that is done but the ECU and not the sensor itself. If the timing is correct and you need to look at the ignition system see if all that is good. Maybe also have the injectors checked. Has the fuel filter been changed on your car ?

10. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Cheers Speedy

I don't think the Fuel Filter has been changed. I was going to do it a while back thinking it was one of those little see through things that connects between the fuel lines in the engine but discovered it is something much bigger sitting behind the rear nearside wheel - I think!

I have a slight dilemma. Originally I was looking to retire the old girl and part exchange it for something more modern, but I have not found anything any better than what I already have. I started the Mid Life Crisis thread a while back and it seems I am not the only one with this 'happy' problem'. Thing is, in order to bring it up to spec I need a clutch/flywheel replacement, 4 new tyres, 2 rear anti-roll bar links and a leak fix on the O/S drive shaft. That's without looking for the dreaded rust under the wheel arches, and a possible fuel filter change. I think I'll go ahead and get it checked over/repaired by Honda, assuming the cost is bearable, even though it will be more than the car is worth.

But with 123K on the clock its not as if the engine is anywhere near tired yet - but the steering and suspension might be yawning a bit. We'll see...............

Phil