Suspension, Steering and Brakes Knocking N/S Front

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by JamesS, Thursday 26th Feb, 2015.

1. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Hi all,

Got a knocking noise coming from my front passenger side suspension. The noise only happens on very small repetitive bumps, no noise on big ones. Whats the likely culprit? I had a look the other day when i was changing my discs and the suspension strut to lower wishbone bush looks tired. Could this be it?

Also while I was there I checked for play in the front wheels see if I could work out what was making the noise, but both wheels would turn and knock very slightly in the axis that the steering takes. But there is no play in the steering wheel and no noise from when steering in the car. Is this normal?

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    How did you check for play? Did you lift the wheels off the ground and try to rock them with your hands or using the steering mechanism to rock them.

Tired and worn bushes will make a knocking sound. What are your upper and lower ball joints like?

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd check your Drop-Links and ARB D-Bushes as well. Ball joints are my first thought as well though.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid: and :whathesaid:

5. Nighthawk Guest

If memory serves me right, did you not change your drop links a little while ago? Were they OEM or at least a decent brand and not cheap ECP stuff?

6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

lets hope its only one thing not all the things it could be :eek: and hope its the least expensive one, although none are a major problem :Smile:

JamesS likes this.
  7. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    @Nighthawk Yeah, I changed the rear drop links, the fronts stayed the same. Although I did split the upper ball joint to get the shock out as I had problems with a snapped bolt.

I had the front wheels off the ground as I was changing the front discs. and the front wheels would rock side to side (on steering axis) ever so slightly and make a small knocking noise. Its nothing bad, but was noticable. But it did exactly the same on both sides.

The knocking noise I get while driving does sound like a ball joint or drop link. But the bush where the suspension strut meats the lower wishbone looks tired. I just don't want to start spending cash replacing parts just for the sake of it. Might have to take it to a garage.

8. Nighthawk Guest

See if you can stick a crowbar or something between the components by the bushes and ball joints and see if you can rock them to imitate the noise. With the wheels on the car, lift one side up and rock it side to side with your hands and 3 and 9 o'clock, and then do the same with your hands at 12 and 6. Shouldnt be any movement at all.

If the fronts are still original drop links, then it is possible they could be a likely candidate as the knocking comes from the ARB

JamesS likes this.
  9. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Finally got chance to get under the car this morning, I had already bought a new upper wish bone and role bar drop link just in case. But unfortunately bad news. Its the damper that has failed. I bought the HSD coilovers secondhand, I never expected them to last forever, but I was hoping for more than 6 months!

So just weighing up the options now, HSD will supply a new pair of front dampers, but i'm not sure if this is the best thing (how long will the rears last if the fronts have gone). So might have to shell out for a new set. Expensive day, but if needs must. Tein, BC Racing or KW? Anyone any thoughts?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham