Engine & Gearbox Knocking noise from engine, only when clutch pedal is depressed

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by TheVDM, Thursday 5th Sep, 2013.

1. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

So far the Accord has been a very quiet car except for just now, on my emergency run to Asda for nappies at 1am I went out and started up the car with the clutch pedal pressed (still in neutral, I always start the car with the pedal in for some reason) and noticed a knocking sound that was a little intermittent and not related to engine speed, much to the neighbours delight I gave it a couple of revs to see if it changed.

The noise goes something like this. Duh..Duh...........Duh........Duh..Duh..........

If that makes sense!

As soon as the clutch pedal meets the biting point, even in neutral it goes away and the car is as quiet as it was meant to be, even with tapping the accelerator.

The car drove absolutely fine to Asda (about 2 miles away), when I got back in it to drive home I sat in the car park and let the engine run for a bit listening out for the noise which had gone, even with the pedal depressed, nothing I could do would make it come back.

By the time I was back home it had started up again, still only with the clutch pedal pressed in though.

Any ideas on what this could be? The clutch feels nice and snappy and engages really well.

Cheers
    Jim

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Probably some noise from the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). If your not getting any juddering, don't worry about it.

3. TheVDM Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Other than the noise nothing makes me worry about it at all, it's probably done it since I bought it but I just never noticed it as the stereo is usually a little louder, thought I'd turn it off for my early morning trip out!

All the gears engage and smoothly click in, they all pull well, the clutch bites and gets good grip and the pedal feels fine too, I'll just keep an eye (or ear) out for any progression with it.

Cheers
    Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, after following your advice on the DMF I have done some research and it sounds very much like that's the cause of the noise, as mentioned the car is as smooth as ever so hopefully it's not urgent.

Typically I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a week (700 mile round trip), I do have green flag if need be.

I bought the car from a dealer with a 3 month warranty paying for it on a credit card so I'm double insured, once I get back from the holiday I'll get an official diagnosis from a garage along with a quote for the work and contact the dealer to get the work done under warranty, if they play up it's onto the credit card company.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back.

Cheers
    Jim

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi VDM any updates on this noise?

5. cjc New Member Getting Started

Hi Jim,
    I have the exact same problem and I'm afraid its the clutch and fly wheel I'm presuming that its a diesel I-CTDI? if so Im pretty sure thats the sound you're hearing. I've ordered my clutch and fly wheel from cox motor parts hope this helps!.

Conall.

6. nduli Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jim does sound like DMF, did u get to the bottom of it and sort out ?

7. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Apologies for a silly question but are the dual mass flywheels fitted only on Accords with a diesel engine and not on petrol engines (2.0/2.4)?

If my memory serves me correctly, these days all car manufacturers with modern diesel engines are using the dual mass flywheel. Even my neighbour's VW Golf Variant 4MOTION 1.9TDI from year 2000 has the dual mass flywheel. Last week he told that he had it replaced and it was very expensive, about 2000 euros including parts and work.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes that is correct only the diesel have DMF.

9. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Thank you for verifying that. Knowing that makes me love my petrol Accord even more now. I don't want that piece of sh*t on anywhere near my car. DMF is one of the reasons I stay away from modern diesel cars.

My previous car (2008 Skoda Octavia 2nd Generation (pre-facelift) 1.9TDI) also had DMF and it was already showing small symptoms of failuring. Luckily I swapped it to my current 2.4 Exec (my first Honda ever and certainly not the last!) before symptoms would have gone worse.