Suspension, Steering and Brakes Knocking noise from suspension

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by GavTS, Friday 16th Nov, 2012.

1. GavTS Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The passenger side front suspension has developed a knocking noise when I hit little bumps in the road, any ideas??
    Track rod ends? Ball joints??. What are the most common to fail?

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Probably anti roll bar drop linkage but suspension will need a thorough inspection, get it into a garage to have it checked out.

GavTS likes this.
  3. wumps Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i would say drop links they are the most common one to go

4. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom kev Southampton
    Evening everyone ...as i don't know my way round the entire site (and im a newbie) ...i thought id post my question here
    i have knocking noise ,but have acertained what the problem is ....i need new suspension arm bushes ....my mechanic has said to buy the complete suspension arms ,complete with bushes ....as even i know getting bushes out and in again is just time consuming ,and a pain ...
    i've looked on ebay ,but not entirely sure which ones to buy ... i have a 2000 SE 2.0i ....would also like to save on postage by collecting them from an Argos store

any help and input much appreciated
    regards

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Upper or lower arm ?

6. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lower part ...bottom swivel and wishbone joint (thats whats gone ) swivel joint is ok on the bottom of shock and spring ...pair of these required
    many thanks
    honda.
    - - - Updated - - -
    its the one to the right of the swivel joint thats gone ,both sides ...so might as wellreplace the whole side ....hes only charging me 40 per side to swap over

7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Those are 7th Generation arms - the 6th Generation ones are straight arms not wishbones.

8. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thats why i asked ...its a random picture off the bay

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

10. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have just found the comparison ,just as you posted ....i may have to have another look underneath ,but that would make sense ....i'm just short of time and daylight hours at the moment
    much appreciated Sayama :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    are they handed ....N/S ....O/S ....they only seem to offer one side ?

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Those are the ones you are after as Sayamaccord said. I assume you mean that its the bush where the shock fork bolts to the lower control arm that has perished, or do you mean the one that bolts into the engine subframe?

12. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Harvey ....sorry for late reply ...early starts and late finishes at the moment ...
    Yes you are correct it is the bush that the fork bolts into/through
    - - - Updated - - -
    i still would like to know if they are handed or not? ...i'd like go get a matching pair ...N/S + O/S

13. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Never ordered one but it looks like they must be as they are sold as either left or right.

So you need one of each.

15. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Sayama i'm gonna get a pair (always replace in pairs) :Wink: ....

16. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So they say - although my approach is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

17. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yep know that one too ..learnt that one ,but these are both gone ...and my mates doing the work ...£40 per side

Harvey likes this.
  18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@doublevision good job you got both as they are handed due to the shape of a stabliser link to the front of the subframe. £40 a side isn't bad, it's about an hours garage rate. Which is probably what it will take to replace them due to rusty bolts.

19. doublevision Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thats it ....phoned the place ...got the item numbers and ordered today
    Many thanks to Sayama and Harvey for your input

Harvey and SayamaAccord like this.
  20. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    From Feb 2015 till Nov 2016 my Accord 2008 itdci saloon EX (118k to 155k miles) has gone through €1200 of parts and labour for replacement link arms, anti roll bar bushings, upper front arms, rear left baring hub. I know the roads in Co. Cork Ireland are not the best. Does this mean that running a car like the accord with it multi link suspension on rough roads is a waste of time???