Off-Topic Know anything about Watches?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Primarycare, Wednesday 9th Jan, 2013.

1. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Guy and Girls...

I need some advice please.

Over New Year I broke my trusted Seiko automatic :Foolish: this was my every day watch for 26 years and was 100% reliable.

I need to replace it ideally with another Automatic but the seiko crop seem to have grown in size to the point I find them unwearable and harsh on the eye...

I have two other watches which are to good for every day wear, a Tudor and an Omega.

I need something nice but plain, not chronograph just date would be fine. Not to big as I have skinny wrists

To be honest I am just fed up with trawling through the interweb trying to find something and then researching only to find its a £500 watch with a £20 movement...

Anyone got any advice as to what is good/worth buying and reliable? I want to spend no more than £600

Thanks

2. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tissot do a good watch for that sort of money.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just been looking at them myself with a view to replacing my trusty Lorus Kinetic because it's started losing time slightly - with either a £200 Seiko kinetic divers watch or one of the £400 Citizen eco-drive radio controlled ones.

Then I renewed my energy supply deal and after I came round again after the shock I decided to buy a DIY capacitor renewal kit for the Lorus at £30 instead LOL

If I get one it'll be a Seiko or Citizen - Japanese all the way

Primarycare likes this.
  4. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Love watches have two Tissot, two Accurists and a Citizen for everyday wear. Had the Tissots over twenty years from my days with Ford and lots of competition wins. Like the Citizen easy to wear nice size

5. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have an Eco Drive Modena on my wrist as I write this. It's a nice looking watch ( I like a chronograph ) but it has just cost me £65 to have it fixed :-(

Regards,

Ivor.

6. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Can't help with your query Primarycare, but your post has got me thinking.

Since the onset of reliable time pieces in cars and on mobile devices, I have stopped wearing a watch. Must be at least 10 years since I wore one, felt a bit strange at first, and kept looking at my bare wrist for a while, but now don't miss wearing one at all.

Primarycare likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Same here Ezeetrucker, I've not worn a watch for many many years. Use to wear Seiko when I did though.

8. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

And I'm the complete opposite. I'm lost without my watches.

Primarycare likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    IMHO I just buy the best watches in the world made by you know who :Wink:
    photo.

photo (3).

photo (5).

photo (7).

photo (4).

One advise like their petrol cars these watches have an insatiable appetite for batteries you will replace it every year like clock work. That why all my watches are dead:Blushing:

So if you want a ultra reliable watch which sips it battery then Honda ones are not for you but the build quality on them is good. The metal strap one is heavy and has a really weighted feel.

Primarycare likes this.
  10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

They look like Citizens.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Most probably would be made by citizens, let look it up on the warranty cards and confirm ..one moment.

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Jaytrip,

Me to, I have time on my phone- computers and in the car but I feel naked without a watch...

My Seiko was broken at the Hospital I was covering out of hours and while talking to the A&E consultant who was with a patient in the resus area one of the nurses went to lower the patients bed.. It was an old style electric adjustable one and this elderly chap had a chest drain in which some plank! prob one of the registrars had put the drain tube through the kind of scissor mechanism. I had a vision of this tube being jerked from the poor chaps chest and like an idiot grabbed it to move it out of the way getting my arm caught in the process.

This resulted in the glass of the watch being smashed along with the face and a bone in my wrist :Aghast::Rolf: funny now but not at the time.. Not so.

No harm done to the poor elderly chap who was very nice and had a smashing family who unfortunately were in with him when this happened, all quite embarrassing :Blushing:.

I looked at a few Citizen watches in town but couldn't find any automatics, I liked the style of a few though. Will have a look on their official site and Tissot to as wife has two of those and they are nicely made watches. Loads of nice chrono watches out there but not my thing although they do seem to be quite fashionable. I like the plain and understated look, or perhaps I am just getting old who knows:Smile: Not being any kind of a watch expert I thought I would get a few Ideas from you guys as just plain hate shopping and find trawling the interweb a chore..

Thanks for all the replies peeps..

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It made in China by ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse model ETA-G10 (The all metal one)

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The second one with the square face is very nice, too many dials for me but gives me an idea or two. I like the leather band to had stainless ones for seems like ever so perhaps a change is afoot :Wassat: Yep quick google ETA - G10 indeed Swiss quartz movement.. If it were Citizen surely they would have gone for a more reliable Japanese movement?

CJ

That first one looks a lot like an Oris, what movement has it got??

Also one for the little lady of the house -

May not fit you though..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Boxed-Childs-Kids-Genuine-Honda-Wrist-Watch-/160645866907?pt=U

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have an eye one for my daughter but the seller won't play ball on price so I am sat on the fence until the penny drops with him. She won't like that plastic one she is spoilt like her dad.

As for the Art Decoy watch I don't know what it is mate as there is nothing to suggest where it made as the back plates have Honda marked with a beautiful engraving.

16. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is a Honda Racing watch on ebay guy called hondaman.023 is seller. Chronograph but hey maybe its time i made the move to 21st century :Smile:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The Honda F1 watches were really good just search for them on ebay i sold a lot of them all of them are now gone. Apart from my own :Wink:

18. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Grab yourself an old Seiko Fieldmaster get it serviced by an approved Seiko dealer or find a local Horologist over 60 to give it a once over.
    I use this and apart from killing a battery every 15 months it has never missed a second.
    Most watches will use either a swiss movement that isn't worth its weight in scrap. Modern high end watches mainly contain cheap movements and some of the most valued (google Rodge Smith Isle of mann and have a good read) count time slightly off from the world but if I had the money and could even get on the waiting list....

Watch size.

Primarycare likes this.
  19. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why don't you just wear one of your others?

I wear my Omega everyday. I even left it on the scuttle panel of an Accord we had in once and closed the bonnet on it lol.