Bulletins & Advisories LAF/O2 sensor malfunction with DTC P2A00

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2004-2009)' started by Service News, Friday 9th Jan, 2009.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda have issued the following TSB#HUK000000001272 dated 09-01-09 for all S2000 AP1 for model years 2006, 2007 & 2008.

Symptom
    While driving, the MIL light will come on. DTC P2A00 is stored.

Cause
    When the sensor was heated by the sensor heater, the water in the exhaust gas adhered to the sensor, causing it to crack. This caused an abnormal signal to the ECU.

Countermeasure
    ECU program has been changed to stop the heater from heating the sensor when there is a high concentration of water in the exhaust gas.
    Cover design of the LAF sensor has been revised to prevent condensation adhesion

Application to Production Line
    JHMAP1***8S200499

Repair Method
    Follow the shop manual diagnostic procedure If the result of diagnosis shows LAF sensor replacement, replace the LAF sensor and update the ECU to the latest program at the same time.

Parts Information
    06180-PZX-305 : Kit, air fuel ratio sensor.The above kit consists of a countermeasured LAF sensor and a reminder label as below.
    lafap1.
    Please ensure that the correct part number (above) is ordered for this repair, DO NOT use the WebEPC part number.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @tomwillie for you mate you asked this question via PM.

3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    @Ichiban, I asked Service Manager at Norton Way if this TSB would be carried out free of charge & he said it depends if Honda have issued a warranty extension & that my extended warranty with wear & tear would not count unless Honda have done so?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tell the dealer to hook up the MVCI and see if the ECM requires the code it will prompt the operator if its is required if not nothing will come up regardless.. if it does then it needs the countermeasure that's clear cut.

You need to counteract his stance with spontaneous answers otherwise you will be lead in path they want you to go down, if you get my drift.

5. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    @Ichiban thanks, I'll get them to do what you have advised. If Honda issue a TSB for a 2008 cars ET al, non of which will be covered by new car warranty, then I would expect Honda to cover cost especially if I have warranty with wear & tear.
    However, no MIL light has come on so no error code will have been generated which could be a reason for them declining to run a diagnostic check?