General Laptop help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Sunday 5th Oct, 2014.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Can anyone help me on this, I have an Acer laptop with XP running, I use it to connect to an alarm panel but can only connect via a series cable, hence the old XP machine. Now the alarm software starts running but the flash screen will not disappear, I can see the programme running in the background.

I only found this out after an hours drive to the site!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Has this been working OK until recently ? What has changed ? Can you revert to a previous restore point ?

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You can use a RS-232 (Serial) to USB converter in order to use it on a later machine, that's what we all do with HIM/HDS :Smile:

Have you got the original installation files for the software? I'd backup the current files and then reinstall, without being familiar with the software itself it's quite hard to troubleshoot.

4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Cheers Leo, I have been told by technical that only certain RS-232 work with this unit, do I take the gamble and drive all the way down.

don't think the software is the best, if running on newer machine it will not let you exit.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That'll be down to the drivers, and you want a Prolific compatible chipset :Smile: Have you tried running the software in compatibility mode?

6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

I will try again tonight
    - - - Updated - - -
    Need to sort my own viao laptop tonight as it will not boot up and has coloured lines on the screen!

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Coloured lines on the screen is not a good sign, that's almost certainly a hardware issue - sometimes it's as simple as the little connector for the LCD being slightly loose, most of the time the panel itself is stuffed... then again it could be a GPU or northbridge issue on the motherboard.

8. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

All good news then :Violin:

9. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It sounds as though the visual array emitter needs the dilithium crystals re-energising which would in turn make the co-axial cobalt pulse initiator give off an even warp signature. Simples!

10. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Been looking online and sony vaio do have a problem with the graphic card, may have to open it up and heat the chipset

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Duc put team viewer on your laptop and I or Leo can assist to get the Com1 port tuned to speak to Serial over USB, I did Leo machine set up that way :Hooray:

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the issue is with Prolific driver I can send you a win7/8 compatible one - I had the same issue with stuff I was selling previously and it worked every time apart from with CJ (I guess it was a faulty unit) - PM me with your email if you want to try it

13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

cheers @Chunkylover53, the company is sending me a series/USB lead that will work with any new laptop when plugged into the device.

Plus got my sony working again, think it was a driver issue
    image.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

If it had coloured lines on the screen while booting (ie. before loading Windows) then it had to be a hardware issue, I'd assume you have an intermittent fault.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul what the latest on this mate?

16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

All sorted on both machines, it was a driver issue with the graphic card on the Sony, and have binned the other one as the company supplied a cable to connect to modern machines

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds