Off-Topic Laptopsdirect - great prices SHITE service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RogerH69, Wednesday 7th Oct, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    As someone that is actually a team lead in a customer service team, I thought I'd post this to highlight what I feel is probably the worst customer service I have ever received from an IT company that advertises itself as 'Great Prices, Great Service'.

I've used Laptopsdirect for a couple of things and have always had good experience with the buying of items. I cannot say the same for their customer services team...

I got myself my obligatory annual laptop upgrade, an MSI GE72 gaming laptop, and paid extra for a Saturday delivery (to ensure I was there to accept it). It arrived nice and early on Saturday, so no complaints about that part of the service.

I turned on the laptop and noticed what I thought was a shaded area in the BIOS bootup logo,
    unnamed.

After booting into Windows 10 however, I realized it was actually a defect on the screen, almost as iff there is something applying pressure on the back of the screen. I flexed the screen a bit, and the shape and size of the defect did change, but did not go away entirely.

This shows it at it's most extreme (it's much more obvious when viewed at an angle, but is present even when viewed straight on)
    unnamed (1).

I phoned Laptopsdirect customer service on the same day (Saturday 26 September) and told them it was an out of box failure and I wanted a replacement. They sent me an email address to send pictures of the fault to (I sent a total of 8 pictures showing the obvious fault, with different backgrounds, and in and out of Windows 10). I sent the photoes on the same day, and was my assigned case handler would get back to me within 2 day.

I heard absolutely nothing from them until Tuesday morning, when I simply received an email with a returns label to print out. This was followed about an hour by a voice message on my mobile from my case handler informing me he agrees there appears to be a fault, and I should post the item back to them. I took the laptop to my closest Collect+ location, and timed it perfectly, as 2 minutes after I got the package signed in, the delivery / collection driver appeared and took the package away. Though I was slightly miffed with having to wait till Tuesday to get a response, all seemed good so far.

Seems they opted for the Economy delivery / collection that Collect + offers, as it was only received by Laptopsdirect on Thursday at approx 13h30. They then sent an email saying they had received it, and it may take up to 48 hours to test it. I was getting more miffed that it had taken so long to get to them, but said nothing, as I expected the testing to take no more than a couple of minutes, as the fault is visible as soon as you turn on the laptop.

Saturday, I emailed them again and asked for an update as I had STILL had no response. They just sent a standard response of 'it can take up to 48 hours... yadda yadda yadda), so I assumed their techies didn't work on Saturdays, and would receive a response on Monday.

Monday came and went, and no response. As I was really busy on monday, I only had a chance to phone them on late monday afternoon for an update. Their response was 'It has been stress testing since Saturday, and they cannot find any problem with it. They think it is Windows 10'. When I finished laughing at her, I explained I actually DO know about computers, and that the fact that the photoes I sent them plainly show the defect BEFORE going into Windows (i.e. before POST is even done) it is NOT a fault with Windows.

Her next response made me lose it completely, and I had to get up and walk away from the phone for a few seconds.... She says "I have now sent them the photos you sent us, so they can see what fault you are referring to."

"Really? They haven't even been sent the photos yet?"
    "No sir, I've just sent them"

Click... just walk away Roger....

I phoned today for an update, and mow that they actually HAVE the photos, they have been able to immediately confirm the fault is present. Thew call is now handed back to my case handler who will get back to me with how we can proceed.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Why don't you just get a refund and get another laptop Roger, you may ask....

As I bought it on my American Express card, it takes 7 to 14 days to receive a refund, as they have to send me a cheque. I'll see what my 'case handler' comes back with and then decide if I want to cancel and wait for a refund an then get the same laptop somewhere else. Either way, I won't be using them in future. As they say, "Low prices can get anyone a new customer, only great service can keep a customer"

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    With the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in force now we as buyer can protect ourselves from these shoddy service. I use Amex too and they are great in handling purchase disputes I had a few and had the refund no quibbles.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    That really is terrible service. I have been to their showroom in Huddersfield and quickly realized they prefer talking to people who can't differentiate their RAM from HDD. Still ordered from them as their prices were well cheap for the spec I wanted. Thankfully I never had to contact them and the Toshiba that I bought from them is still fine after 5 years of abuse (3D rendering).

By comparison, we bought an Acer from Amazon and after first restart it died and never woke up again. We setup a call back with Amazon, who called 2 minutes later, asked us what is wrong and then immediately processed the return. We received a replacement laptop the next day and were given 28 days to return the faulty one. Now that is customer service. oh and we did eventually return the faulty laptop 2 weeks later :Grin:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I won't use MSI products, we used to have tons of out the box failures when I worked in a repair shop, and lots more after the fact.

You have a legal right to a refund within 14 days of you posting the item, not even them receiving it. Doesn't matter if it's working or broken, that's your consumer rights. Doesn't matter if you've broken the seal on the laptop box, tested it, or anything else.

Read your rights mate: Consumer Contracts Regulations - Which?
    - - - Updated - - -
    I've done tons of Amazon returns, I couldn't praise the company enough for their procedure.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the info guys. If I go for a refund, I'll refer them to the legislation and let them know I expect a full refund, including (normal) delivery AND AmEx processing charges within 48 hours,, which will be 14 working days since they confirmed RECEIVING the laptop from me.

@DeviateDefiant I've used some MSI products and never had problems (luckily). I've also had no issues with stability of the hardware, as I very rarely buy brand new models of hardware - rather wait for 'version 2' so most issues have been ironed out :Smile: I also try and wait for at least one BIOS / FW release to be released before buying something.

I agree on service from Amazon - always been great. Google as well - I had a faulty phone (actually phone was fine, but the OIS rattled when not in use, so just a simple build quality issue) and they sent me one out the same day I reported it. I received it 2 days later and had 14 days to send them the faulty one - all at no cost to me and with no questions asked.

legend-ary likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Those rights are no longer applicable any more mate the new consumer right act inforce this month give you 30 days to return items.

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Amazon service is great, i tend to buy stuff from them even if its a little bit money then elsewhere just because I know if there is an issue they will usually resolve it, John Lewis too also have really good service.

Companies like this always try to make it difficult so that you bugger off, but you just have to push them as the law is on your side for most parts. Had issues with ebuyer in the past and have never ever used them again, if someone treats me like a mug then you won't ever getting my money again.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So someone actually phoned me today, when they said I can expect a call tomorrow. I was shocked :Smile:

It was the case handler and she said "They were finally able to reproduce the error. It took a while as it was intermittent." Right... whatever. I told her "No it's because you only sent them the photos I sent after 3 days of 'stress testing'". She had no response to that, and changed the subject to sending a replacement :Smile:

They're sending me a new one out, and I'll have it Friday.

I will know if they send me the same one with a replaced screen, and if they do, it goes straight back for refund, as I did not want a repair, I wanted a replacement. As I said earlier, either way, they have lost any future business from me, and anyone else I may give sales advice to :Smile:

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sorry to hear about your experience Rog, but glad that they seem to have sorted themselves out now.

I have used MSI in many custom PC builds and have never had a failure with them yet. Did a custom WC build with MSI Gaming 9 and Tri Sli'd 900 series MSI cards a short time ago for a mate, and its running strong and pulling in nice benchmarks.

I remember a good few years ago being in PC World as I needed to get a usb dongle ASAP. Normally I would stay away from those places as the stock they supply is never what I would want, too limited range and over priced. But needs must on that day and I got a dongle. Anyway, elderly couple were talking to a pimple faced teenaged employee about buying their grandson a PC as he was due to start uni and only wanted something so that he could do his uni work, not too powerful as they wanted it to be a work machine and not so he would be gaming the night away. They were looking at a basic machine, can't remember the specs now, but it was like a P4 with a couple of gig or so of memory on XP or Vista, can't remember which. Anyway, this employee said, no no, that wouldn't be powerful enough to do internet searching, it would be too slow, and took them to a higher performance end stating that this should be powerful enough to go on the internet, but just to be sure, they should probably go for more memory and a more powerful graphics card.

This upset me, I rarely get upset, but this did. Couple were believing this kid and he was ripping them out of a good few hundred more than necessary. I went across, apologised for butting in and absolutely drilled the lad. The couple who were really nice thanked me and left the store before I was approached by the store manager and advised by him that I had no right to get involved in a business transaction or to challenge his staff member and that I should have alerted him. I advised him back that maybe he shouldnt be trying to rip his customers off by allowing his staff to lie to them and oh, you have lost my business too.

Nels, legend-ary and RogerH69 like this.