Engine & Gearbox Last couple of questions (for now)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Phil1978, Monday 18th Nov, 2013.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I'm off to look at a couple of cars on friday, both 2.4 auto tourers, so I thought I'd ask a couple more questions to prepare myself.

Being a heavy vehicle mechanic I'm confident about looking a car over before purchasing, I know to thoroughly check the power tailgate and with a massive thanks to Defiant I have a sat nav DVD to check the system works, I'd like to ask about the engine, my only experience of VTEC is being in the back of a Civic Type-R, should I expect something similar with the 2.4, i.e more noise and power at a specific rev? From reading through this forum I have learnt that these engines seem pretty bullet proof, both cars have a FSH, so anything specific I should look for engine wise? either during the test drive or looking under the bonnet, also anything to look out for on the auto box?

Apologies for asking you more questions but the first car is a 2 1/2 hour drive away and the second another 30 mins up the road, so I want to be absolutely sure what I'm doing.

Cheers guys.
    :Hey:

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    If you're a (heavy vehicle) car mechanic, you know what to look out for. Nothing specific to the Honda engine. Indeed bullet proof.
    Just check the usual stuff: oil leaks, cylinder head gasket (check beneath oil cap and radiator cap), blue smoke when lifting pedal, airco compressor ok, etc....
    Auto gear box, well yeah, it it has FSH and the box changes gears, what else can you expect?

3. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Thanks mate, I'll definitely be checking all of that out.

Very true, not much more you can ask from an auto box I suppose :Grin: