Detailing Late spring detail

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by jazzway, Tuesday 24th May, 2016.

1. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    I am not sure this is the right place to post this or that it have to go into my garage?

Now the engine bay is done it was time for a late spring detailing of the exterior. I do that in two days and all by hand.
    Today was day #1 and started with some before photos.
    image. image.

First things first, the wheels and wheel wells.
    Sprayed and brushed with APC and some purple rain...
    image.

Rinsed off and further with the car. Snowtime! :excited:
    image.

While dwelling i did trim, grille, window frames and inside fuel cap with a brush.
    Unfortunately no photos of the next steps...
    After HP rinsing it was time for a good wash with the sweet smell of bubblegum.
    Rinsing again and then i sprayed the whole car in non-ferro. Meanwhile put away the HP-washer and after a few minutes i worked the non ferro in with a 3rd wash mitt, and yes... rinsed again.
    Time for the clay... yes finally!
    After claying i call it a day. :zen:

Products used today:
    image.

- APC: Frosch - Natural pH neutral all purpose cleaner Green Lemon (1:5)
    - Monello Non-Ferro
    - Monello Artico Magico Snow Foam
    - Dodo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo
    - Dodo Juice Supernatural Fine Detailing clay
    - Dodo Juice Born Slippy clay lube concentrate (1:10)
    Further: HP washer with foam lance, buckets with grit guards, brushes, wash mitts, micro fibre clots and lots of water.

Tomorrow, another perfect dry and cloudy day, i'll start with a quick wash to be sure the paint is clean and then go on with polish/cleaner, a glaze, sealant and dressing.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I can't wait for the next instalment!

:Thumbup:

jazzway likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Looking forward to seeing her all nicely polished up

jazzway likes this.
  4. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I apologize on forehand for the lack of photos and the lenghty post. The in-between photos i took were too light and you could hardly see anything. I promise to make photos at a better location and when the 2nd coat of wax is fully cured. At the end i added 2 iphone photos i took when i was finished.

Yesterday a little past 6pm i called it day after i clayed the car. Day #2, 20 hours later, i started with a quick rinse, wash and dry to be sure the next steps were done on a clean car.

Products used today:
    image.

I don't have an electrical machine to polish and i don't want one (yet). Also i see hardly any swirls or scratches on the paint - can be due the color of the car and/or my bad eyes. :Wink: Oh, and i am afraid of abrasives in a polish (yeah, next to my engine bay fear...) Anyhow, i did it by hand.

To clean the paint before the final steps i used Poorboy's Professional Polish with a white foam pad. Although PB pro polish doesn't contain abrasives, with the very light cutting power of the white pad i might have removed some light swirls.

To clean it even further, but not sure this step was really necessary, i sprayed and wiped off the car with Gyeon Q2M Prep.

Then it was time for the glaze. Poorboy's Diamond White Glaze; because any light imperfections in the paint will be filled and the metallic paint will 'pop' as i was told. I had never used it before, but it was an easy step. I used it with a black foam pad.

And although it now was time for the final i first dressed everything plastic and rubber. With doing that i did hope to avoid staining from the wax/sealant afterwards and me being clumpsy. Yes, i do have and can use tape, but i like the lazy/easy way. Finish Kare #350 did the job.

In my search for the best wax or sealant for our silver car i 'waxed' the entire world wide web. Shining reviews on detailing fora (not the Dutch of course...) were for Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant. And how nice is the price of a tin so huge you need to use thin, thin, thin? The softest red foam pad and soft edgeless micro fiber towels were used to apply and buff.

There are many opinions about the cure time and when applying a 2nd coat of FK1000p. Some say 10 minutes, others 18 hours, and the long time users say you have to wait a few days. FK1000p gets its 'wow' factor on the car after a few days, so my guess is that only then it is fully cured. I'll stick with the long time users and apply my second coat after an earlier next wash in a couple of days.

Thanks for reading and as said above i'll make some new photos next week when the 2nd coat is fully cured and post them here.

image.

image.

SpeedyGee, Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

Fantastic job. Looks fantastic

jazzway likes this.
  6. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Terrific job - well done! Looks mint!

jazzway likes this.
  7. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much for the compliments!! My neighbors only looked at me as i was some crazy woman. :Wink: The cleaning/polishing step was actually the hardest, it cost me more than 2 hours and i still feel my arms, haha.

8. Nighthawk Guest

Its a great workout thats for sure. My neighbours accepted long ago that im crazy with the car and no longer comment on it :Laughing:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A job to be proud of @jazzway :Thumbup:

Same here, but they're happy enough when I've snow foamed and washed their cars. :cleaning:

jazzway and Nighthawk like this.
  10. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, @Nels! :Smile:

Hahaha... i don't think i am going to wash their 2 German cars. They drive them through the car wash every other week and they look... well you can imagine, i guess. :Wink:

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I don't think even I would want to do that! :Grin:

jazzway likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Wash them with brake fluid perhaps? :Whistle:

legend-ary, jazzway and Nels like this.
  13. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Last week Tuesday i did the 2nd coat FK1000p paste sealant, it was the only dry day that week. After then there was so much rain that the south east of the Netherlands was almost flooded. :surfing:
    This afternoon i gave her her weekly bath and a spray QD. I quickly took two phone pics before it start raining again or she gets dirty — what comes first. :Wink:

image.

image.

14. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Great work, looks very nice

jazzway likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Top job @jazzway ! Looks like it's fresh out of the showroom :Thumbup:

jazzway likes this.
  16. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you @wanner69 and @SpeedyGee! This is the first car i do so much work for. But i like to do it and she's shining every day. :Smile:

17. musicman580 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ian Perth
    Terrific job jazzway !!
    I'll bring down my CR-V :Wink:
    Ian

jazzway and FirstHonda like this.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It does look superb @jazzway - a lovely 'wet look' finish with shine and depth.

:Hooray:

jazzway likes this.
  19. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you and you are welcome, Ian, when you don't mind to take the ferry or train. :Grin:

Thank you! Yes, i am quite happy how she looks and how easily it is to keep her clean with this finish. I did 500 kilometers since her last bath and last night it was raining non-stop and this morning she was so clean and was shining in the sun. :Smile:

FirstHonda likes this.