ICE & HFT Latest map update for 2006 sat nav CR-V

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Jape, Tuesday 24th Feb, 2015.

1. Jape Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jape Reigate
    Hi. My first post on the forum with a question about my newly acquired 2006 CR-V. Having rang 4 Honda dealers today, have been unabled to get my question answered.

I want to know what the latest V2.. sotware up date in for the factory sat-nav is - and what year the maps are.

The only info I ot from 3 of the dealeers is - the disk cost £170. The fourth dealers told me:

There are no more new updates for my model - and the very last one was with 2009 maps.

My disk reads V2.00.6 Can anyone tell me the latest version and what year the maps are fom. Do I need to go 3rd party for later updates?

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    From memory I think the latest version of the V2 discs is V2.11 with map dates 2011/2012.

3. Jape Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for reply. I get the impression that is the disk with the 2009 maps - either way, it is still out of date. If there is nothing better - I am considering taking out the sat-nav and replacing with A Honda mp3/cd radio head. A used one obviously. )

4. Boca Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andrew Fauldhouse
    I don't know why anyone would even bother with the Honda satnav.. it's horrifically slow and out of date. Rip it out, and for the same price as those 'update' disks ( if you can call 6 year old maps an update )... you could buy a new indash unit which has ten times the capabilities, and far better upgradability.

- - - Updated - - -
    Link not working, it seems.,,,just type 'double din sat nav' into Ebay and look for the correct size models.

5. Eureka Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Lancaster
    I am currently weighing up my options as the sat nav in my 2006 CR-V is getting replaced with something. I am not 100% sure what yet though.
    I have used a lot of inbuilt and aftermarket satnav and to be 100% honest my stand alone tomtom with free lifetime map updates is going to take some beating to the point where I might just put a double din ipod controller in and just use my tomtom as the maps are always pretty good with the bonus the map updates are free

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its was perfectly fine for the time it came out so to review 15 year old technology with today yes its antiquated. They were perfect for the time and they worked really well. Good luck on finding a replacement.

Eureka and Nels like this.
  7. Eureka Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have to agree with C.J. that the Honda/Alpine satnav in some ways is better than my current Tomtom , the way the directions are given and the over head view seem to work better, but on the other side of the coin my current Tomtom is so much better than the Honda/Alpine satnav or come to think of it a older Tomtom I had before I got my new satnav in a lot of other ways including recalculating and redirecting ( which is directly linked to them being more powerful).
    I've looked at the generic android in dash media/satnav units and yes they look like good value but I still have my doubts about how many times will they need rebooting/restarting due to freezing or software/firmware crashes.

I went to Halfords the other day to look at the double din headunits and they only had Sony and Pioneer on demo with the Kenwood and Alpine units sat locked in glass cases.
    I have always preferred Alpine headunits in my cars over the last 20+ years as they always stood out as the best ( I still have my single din x305s in the cupboard I took out of my old car before selling the car) but I am not so sure anymore as the Pioneer touchscreen I was playing with in Halfords looked very impressive for the money till you started adding up all the extras and it got quite pricey.

I don't know anyone who has taken the plunge with one of the generic ebay/Chinese headunits but apart from my doubts about the stability of the operating system/firmware I am still very tempted.

8. Boca Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, it's not 15 years ago.. its 2015. And to advise someone to persevere with outdated-can't be updated technology when a simple and relatively cheap upgrade is possible and available is a little irresponsible advice, don't you think ?

Why are you advising him to have 'good luck' to find a replacement disk.... when the NEWEST disk for that particular technology is horrifically out of date in 2015 ?
    It's a bit like me advising someone where is the best place to buy Beetamax video players.

I'll tell you where my (fully working with all the 'latest disks') Honda satnav is... sitting idle in a box in the spare room where it belongs

You said "They were perfect for the time and they worked really well." Well, no. When I bought my Honda, I tried it out... there is a 'T' junction on the way home from my work.. left is back in the direction of work.. right is the way home.... there is NO ALTERNATIVE ROUTE... this thing kept telling me .."turn left...turn left... "... I turned right.... " make a u-turn....make a u-turn..",,, fortunately, I knew the route to my own house. its JUNK, it was junk 15 years ago and it's junk now.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I won't even bother responding to any of so called observation you entitled them,as no explanation will be good enough. Peace

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You seam like a friendly chap @Boca welcome to the forum.

11. Boca Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am friendly. I'm only offering the original poster what I believe to be the best advice. If you want to maintain Honda originality, then OK, thats fine, but shouldnt we be striving to upgrade our vehicles as much as possible ? For instance, whenever I visit my sister ( in a house she's lived in for a decade ), not only her street, but her entire area of town is marked as still a field in my old CR-V satnav... I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to throw good money after bad to get their hands on an 'out-of-date' limited system when they could have SO much more for just a little outlay. On the one I linked, I can watch digital TV, have dashcam ability, add DVD headrest screens ( for kids in the back on long journeys ), reversing cameras, bluetooth my phone, add my ipod, watch/listen to all kinds of media on SD cards or USB sticks, add 'virtual CDS'... etc ... and thats before you even start talking about the up to date superior Igo sat nav system ( which if you don't like for whatever reason...you can replace ) I could do NONE of this with the old unit.

I don't intend to get anyone's back up... just using the forum for what a forum's meant to be... offering my input and giving what I believe to be the best advice. It's up to them whether they take it or leave it.

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I agree with you on many points @Boca the way you put you point across was a tad confrontational mind. The idea of a forum is to give people the advice they need not an argument about who is right or wrong. Aftermarket double din units have come a long way and are a fantastic replacement I agree. But you must understand the factory units were as good as the technology when the cars were made. Some people would prefer keeping there cars standard, others are open to fitting an aftermarket unit. I admit the price of the honda update discs is rather expensive but it gives people the option. There's no bad blood between anyone on here and that's the way it should stay. We don't want arguments or petty squabbles. An informed debate is much more helpful and ime sure your link to the sat nav unit you posted will be very useful. Many. People are going down that route. No doubt because of the update discs price

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. Eureka Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can see both sides of this issue. For instance the Honda satnav that was in my CR-V (2006) wasn't really current technology really as less than a year later Honda fitted the totally redesigned satnav to the newer model CR-V but when it was introduced it was pretty much up with the rest of the satnav's fitted by other makers.
    In car electronics moves on so quickly sometimes & other times it just doesn't and it happed to be about the time where things were changing and sadly people have got too used to touch screens etc now so sometimes expectations are quite high.

I have just fitted a Alpine X305s into my car to replace the Honda fitted satnav. I have my tomtom with free map updates etc & I know some people don't like things that are not integrated into the dash but it doesn't bother me providing the wiring is tidy and hidden where possible (I am hard wiring the tomtom so it has a power lead that comes out where its needed from behind the dashboard).

I looked at a lot of double din stereos by a lot of makers including the cheaper android ones. I tried a android one in a mates car and it was ok but nothing special.
    I looked at Alpine and their double din range goes from cheap and cheerfull to superb but I wanted something that was at least equal to my Alpine x305 that I removed from my last car before I sold it.
    A lot of the lower range were nowhere near what I have and only difference were built in cd player but worse display etc but double din so the same size as the dashboard mounting.

The only Alpine that I considered in my price range is a Alpine I've w585bt but the downside to that is touch screen with no volume knob just up/down buttons and the screen seems to suffer from washout in strong sunlight ( that was the demo model in the shop) so I have fitted my x305 with a facia adapter (pocket bellow head unit in dash) as it has physical buttons, volume knob and can be operated by feel which is the main reason against the touch screen head unit.

Yes I have the steering wheel buttons working but there is still the time where its easier and quicker to use the head unit.

I have most of the extras for the x305s & have the imprint, Bluetooth and multichanger so for now going to put up with a single din head unit and the pocket in the dash ( it gives me somewhere to put my phone). Time will tell if its goingto stay as I will see how the Alpine imprint setup likes the Honda speakers.

I know a lot of my views are my opinions and I like to be able to operate some functions on the headunit without needing to look at it which touch screens make harder that's for sure.
    Time will tell how things go. I was worried about the single din headunit looking out of place but its growing on me plus I have the advantage that I can pop the front off if I leave the car somewhere dodgy a feature that makers seem to have stopped using now for some reason.

14. Spoks New Member Getting Started

Latvia Spoks Riga
    Everyone has it's choice to stay with original device or to change to aftermaket one. My original Honda nav device started with warnings of Disc load error right couple months after warranty expired. Navigation Disc was fine, without any visual damage. DVD cleaning set helped for some years. Anyway, I was not using navigation daily because there are no maps of my area for this device.
    At the end I changed it to Newsmy Carpad 2 with Android onboard. What to say ... I am not afraid of firmware updates and App installing. I'm just enjoin this device, that's all :Smile:

15. Jape Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a quote from local Honda dealer for newer Sat Nav Head Unit - £5500. 00 UK. So obviously that's a non starter. I like the Graphics on my 2006 head unit but as stated it's slow and clunky. Always gets the turn off for my home address wrong as well.

Now underneath the head unit is the small cool box i if you open the door/flap you can see my Garmin Nuvi 255 Balanced there

I got some of those stick on rubber feet the on the bottom of hi-FI units etc. STuck some at the front on the roof of the cool box and the same at the front of bottom surface The Sat Nav just lays back at an angle quite safely. When not in use just close the flap

Mine is powered permanently via cigar lighter and shuts down automatically with ignition etc. I don't actually need to see it as it's programmed with voice warnings. The Nuvi 255 fits height of the opening perfectly - others may need measuring So I use the Garmin if I don't wanna get lost or just want camera warnings I may upgrade this model if I can find another that will fit in the cool box aperture.

At least its a good use for the cool box.