General Laying up for 6 - 8 weeks.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by ampers, Thursday 23rd Oct, 2014.

1. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm being hospitalised soon, so with that and not being allowed to drive for 6 weeks or so, the car will just be sat on the drive.

I plan to once a week start the engine and let it run till the rad fan cuts in, out, then in again, and a further 10 mins with the aircon on(to lubricate the seals), and operate the foot brake, hand brake and clutch and gear selector several times meanwhile.

Can't just start with climate on because the fans will be running straight away so will not know if engine has properly warmed up. The temperature gauge shows normal before the engine is fully warmed up and I believe that Honda workshop procedure dictates fans on/off/on for several things.

With regard to the battery I have a CTEK (intelligent charger that can be left connected and switched on for several months) that I will use for one day a week.

I might move the car a little to prevent flat spots on the tyres.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above and welcome any other suggestions.

Ampers.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry to hear that you will be hospitalised, hope you recover quickly.

As for the car, you seem to have it covered. I would just add that if you can move the car back and forth every now and again, so that the brakes can scrub any built up rust off the discs.

3. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

SpeedyGee,
    Good point, I forgot about the rust on the discs.
    Cheers.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You may consider propping up the wiper arms to take the pressure off the blades. Easy if the car is garaged, but you may need something more discreet if it's on the road.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will respond to this later as on the go at mo I have a few more points to add when you are laying up a car.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Nothing to add to the question @ampers, just to wish you good luck and hope that your stay in hospital, as well as the recovery goes as smoothly as can be.

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I don't have anything either to add mate, but wish you the best of luck and hope you recover soon.

8. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wiper blades ! never thought about them and I've just fitted new ones (Denso) and thanks for other comments too but it's a full knee replacement so I should recover ok.
    I look forward to Ichiban's reply.
    Cheers.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @ampers really sorry to hear you going to be out of action.

As for layup this is what I do if the car is out in the open,

Engine oil and oil filter change never leave old oil in the sump for that long the acid in the oil does bad things to the crank shell bearings.
    Battery attached to a trickle charger the yanks called battery tender
    A long piece of rod and 2x4 and cloth wedged between your steering wheel and clutch pedal . ensuring your clutch pedal is always open in the down position.. this ensure the CMC does not seize
    Pump the tyres more than normal above 5 psi than standard in case you can't take the wheels off and jack all four tyres.
    A wax polish and lube to all critical areas is nice but can live without for the duration you are off.
    Full tank of fuel to stop water condensation.
    Covering the wheels with a plastic or transit wheel covers as in new cars that will help keep rust away on the discs.
    Now and again blow the cobwebs from the wheel arches and side view mirrors before they come a menace,
    Keep an eye on bird poo and get it off as soon as you spot it.

My first gen winter layup is a bit more extreme LOL

bijomaru likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Some interesting things there @ ichiban. Can you expand on how keeping the clutch pedal depressed prevents CMC seizing? I'd like to know/understand more.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My old man told me this mate for hydraulic systems if the pedal if up then the CMC is close position and the fluid can't pass to the slave cylinder keeping the seals in fluid all the time.

Then something about the friction plate not sticking to the flywheel and springs left in tension state is better for them. I really don't know if that is gospel but I believe my old man as nothing has ever happened to it ever.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That seems quite logical now you've said it. I presume you do this to your SJ?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes Nelsy its always left like this when its parked in the garage,even my 7th Generation has this for the last two months of having the insipid. I did a lot of work on the 7th Generation today for the winter. she is sweet as a nut god i miss driving that car to work.
    - - - Updated - - -
    On the first gen I put a4 size paper folded paper between the discs and pads so the rust can't get to both of them, moisture and leave a massive spot of rust . My garage is temperature controlled for 6 months from Sept to March.
    Guess what no issue on warping still the original discs on my SJ

14. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban,
    I agree with you fully but I intend to run as much of the car as I can as opposed to not using it all. Point noted about covering wheels with plastic and operating the clutch, bird poo, wax etc, but I think that warming up the engine fully once a week will look after the oil. I'll do oil and filter change ASAP in the New Year if I can anyway. I think that main worry is tyres so I think that I will have to take weight off of the tyres and on to jacking points.
    Much appreciated.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes CJ, a nice warm, dry garage is a blessing. Not just to protect the cars but for working on them in the winter too. I've had my share of trying to put ICE cold bolts in when you can't feel your fingers.

@ampers I hope the OP and recovery go well. TKR's are very successful nowadays so you'll be a new man when it's all done. Is this just the one, or a bilateral job with a break between them?

16. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nels,
    Both knees I'm afraid but when they'll do the second God knows, I'm being shipped out privately for this one.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ