Service & Maintenance Laying up my car for 6 months

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Moniker, Saturday 29th Jun, 2013.

1. Moniker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,
    Work is taking me away for 6 months and this is the first time leaving an Accord behind - any tips/hard learned advice from previous experience in here?
    She'll be garaged after a good wash & polish by next weekend.

Moniker

2. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Make sure it to pump your wheels up to around 40psi to stop your tyres from degrading .

Maybe a dehumidifier inside the car.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Personally

change the engine oil and oil filter ,you don't want old oil sitting in the sump that long..too Acidic.
    I would fill the diesel tank up to the brim and may even add an additive to stop bacteria growing in the diesel since its organic.
    Put a trickle charger on the battery to ensure battery remains fully charged.
    Raise all the wheels off the ground preferably than pumping the tyres up too much
    A full clean inside and outside wax on paint will help.
    fill up the windscreen washer bottle to the brim with good quality screen wash.
    cover the tailpipe but remember to remove it first thing when you start her up
    Not required get a long rod and press get the clutch pedal depressed and wedge it to the base of the front seat. ensuring the CMC is open and not shut.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    On top of the given advice: leave one of the windows a little bit open (depending on where you store the car) and cover her up with (old) soft sheets. Don't know the exact circumstances of where you store it, but the sheets avoid any bird poo or look a likes gonna stick to the bodywork for several months, protects the car if somebody by accident drops something on it etc... and you won't find your car back under a thick layer of dust.
    Don't pull the handbrake to avoid it find sticking when coming back.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. Moniker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the advice. That's her tucked away - Handbrake off! - plus every other conceivable electrical item turned off. Will get my wife to run the car for 30mins halfway through my time away. Cheerio!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have fun you going away on business or pleasure ?

8. Moniker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Business....definitely business