Body, Paint & Styling Leak into foot well.

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by Accord 1994, Wednesday 1st Jan, 2014.

1. Accord 1994 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bruce Bournemouth
    Hi all, have a 1994 Honda Accord Aerodeck, and getting rain in on the passenger side, it appears to be coming in where the foot well turns upwards towards the door where it hinges. Any ideas as to where it may be coming in, could it be the windscreen or inside engine area? thanks for your time!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Maybe some rust under or around the windscreen area ?? Have a look around the vented area just below the windscreen.

3. Accord 1994 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bruce Bournemouth
    Thanks for your input, appreciated, will look into it if and when rain stops lol!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything, what you could do is get a hose pipe or just a bucket/cup and pour some water on to the windscreen and into the vent area and see if it appears inside.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It most probably be the door rubber seal they would be compressed and perished and water will enter quite easily.

To trace you can take some talcum powder dust it around the area you think it leaks from then get a helper to blow high velocity air via an air compressor or even a leaf blower.

You get inside the car to see where the talcum power spray comes from...

6. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's common on EK Civics - the mastic body sealant shrinks over time at the left-hand side around the A-pillar/scuttle/bulkhead.

You need to lose the HVAC unit & re-seal all the body seams with Sikaflex 221.

7. wotnoheadlight New Member Getting Started

I had the same problem on a 2000 Accord saloon - soaked carpet in front footwell.

I removed the windscreen wipers and plastic trim on the outside just under the windscreen and found lots of mud in the channel that looks like it is supposed to carry the rain coming off the bottom of the windscreen into the engine compartment - just removed the mud. That was yesterday, I'll know for certain if the fix works by next week.

8. accord1996 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lloydie london
    also you could check if the drainage pipe coming from the sunroof window is clogged ...but the realseal mention is the best answer
    is you car a manual areo deck?
    im looking for one for spares ...need the entired wiring to swap into my accord ...im having a warm time buyin the climate control for my car ..

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep us posted bud, did you get any pictures?

10. wotnoheadlight New Member Getting Started

My Accord has been dry since - sorry no pictures but not difficult to do - remove two bolts for wipers and three trim clips.

Finding thee leak was hard - sucked up the water in the carpet with a wet vac, then placed newspaper on the carpet - hosed around the door and found all was dry inside, but got wet after putting water on the windscreen. I dried it again and left a plastic 'frost preventing cover' over the bottom of windscreen for a few wet days and noticed the improvement.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fingers crossed you have nailed it and this weekend being dry you will soon find out.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. Accord 1994 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bruce Bournemouth
    Hi, yes, found the leak in a piece of split rubber just below the corner of the windscreen, fixed it with black silicone, thanks for all your suggestions , very much appreciated.

Ichiban likes this.