Suspension, Steering and Brakes Leaking power steering hose

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by brian62c, Tuesday 26th Apr, 2016.

1. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Brian Haverfordwest
    Evenin' all!

The present Mrs C. texted me at work today to say the CR-V was making a whining noise like it was reversing - but when going forwards. Also, the steering felt heavy. She researched it online and power steering problem seemed likely so she checked the fluid reservoir and sure enough, it was below the minimum line.
    Picked up a litre on my way home (bit of a detour but it has to be Honda fluid, we discovered) and when I checked under the beast (car, not wife!) there was a slow leak from where the vertical hose at the rear of the engine bay joins the metal pipe coming from (or going to?) the reservoir.
    Then the heavens opened ..... so it's an early start for me in the morning to do a temporary patch of some sort on the leak so I can top up the reservoir and use the car to commute (better me than she).

Seems I will need to replace that section of hose, as the end where it's leaking looks a bit ropey. Anyone know if I'll have to drain all the fluid or part of it - or can I just wing it and catch the inevitable spillage? Do I have to use a Honda part or do other mfrs do them?

As always, any advice gratefully received.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You don't need to drain all of it, just catch what comes out. I don't think you'll find aftermarket power steering piping.

Your choices are genuine part, second hand (best to avoid this maybe contaminated with dirt inside) or get the pipe custom made.

brian62c likes this.
  3. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fair enough Speedy, thanks. Honda pipe it is then.

4. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update: Efforts to temporarily patch the leak were pretty ineffectual, to say the least. Just had to limit usage severely and top up every trip. Anyway, found time over the weekend to investigate properly. Jacked her up (car, not wife!), removed the offside front wheel and stuck my head in the gap for a look-see. And yes, I did use an axle stand and chocked the other wheels. I'm a good boy really :Innocent:
    So this pipe arrangement, which I think is actually the return pipe to the reservoir, is in a slightly awkward place, down in the bottom left hand corner of the engine bay, nearest the aforementioned wheel. There's just about enough of a gap to get a hand to it and grope around a bit or fiddle with a suitable implement. It can also be reached over the engine at a stretch - but it doesn't half do your back in.
    I cleaned up the offending area as best I could, to find the hose clip in a right old state. Rusted solid. Wondered if it had maybe caused the pipe to perish or somehow leak. Then I studied the metal (aluminium?) pipe going up to the reservoir, which the rubber hose attaches to - and it didn't look good. Veeeery rusty.
    Long and the short, I mangled the hose clip to get the hose off the end of the metal pipe and had a good look at the hose. Nothing wrong with it. Curses! Ran out of light and time, so wrapped everything up and left it until (work and rain stopped play) this evening. Had another more leisurely look and the rusty pipe does indeed seem to be the culprit. It's really badly corroded and I'm sure I can see a couple of pinholes which are more than likely the culprits.
    So now I need to get a new one - and a set of ratchet spanners by the look of it, as the slender gap at the reservoir end where there is a bracket holding the metal pipe is nowhere near wide enough to get a socket into. Other than that, doesn't seem to be too tricky a job. Unbolt old one, bolt in new one. Maybe. Yes, I know .... famous last words :help:
    Watch this space.

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Wow sounds like quite a mission. Hopefully you will get it sorted soon

Good luck!!

brian62c likes this.
  6. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    I think I'm on the lucky side, looks like the rubber hosing has degraded and has started to split. I've been told tho by local motor factors that it's dealer only. But I may try, pirtek and see if they can sell me some hose the correct size

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi @Raf_75 could you post the picture of the affected area please. I would like to see this thanks.

8. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    Here it is, still haven't replaced it as I've been working 20160518_162533.

9. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, latest news is that our friendly neighbourhood Gareth at Holdcroft Honda sorted me out with a new return pipe and a new hose clip and after much blood, sweat and swearing, the old one is off, the new one is on and the hoses are all reconnected, ready for the refill. Only took me two hours to get the bolt in at the top end (in the narrow gap next to all the belts and pulleys) skinning various parts of my hands and arms in the process. In the end I had to use a screwdriver in my left hand to press the bolt firmly enough into the hole so I could turn it bit by agonising bit with my 10mm ratchet spanner.There's probably an easy way but hey, I expect it's good for the soul. Just got to hope there aren't any leaks anywhere tomorrow.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Raf_75 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Raf York
    Turns out that it was the metal pipe all along, cost me a fiver to fix it. While I was thinking it was the rubber hose, I got just over a meter of the correct diameter hose for £5. I just cut the metal hose back to good metal and joined it there. Better than spending £38 on a rubber hose from honda

brian62c and SpeedyGee like this.