General Leaving a Car on Axle Stands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeviateDefiant, Friday 11th Apr, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm wanting to refurbish one of my sets of alloys on my two cars, to do that I'm going to need to leave one of the cars without wheels while I work on them. It's probably going to take a few days or maybe even over a week to get through it. Can I leave my old '03 on the grass on stands? I'd have to buy another pair, but then I could do one on each corner.

I do also have two space savers between the two cars which could go on one axle, then the pair of axle stands on the other. I'm not not sure what the best solution is, I'm still keeping my old '03 roadworthy for the minute.

Ideally a set of cheap 5x114.3 steel wheels would be best, but I'm not really willing to outlay on something I won't need afterwards.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

When I re-pained my front alloys, I had the space saver on one corner and the jack from the boot on the other.
    Admittedly, this was on a concrete garage floor.

I have 3 concerns:
    1. Stands on grass would need a good solid plate to sit on to spread the load.
    2. If you had severe rain, how would this affect the soil under the stands.
    3. How likely is it that some drunks would try and push it over?
    Since your cars are outside, I would do 2 wheels at a time and use the 2 space savers.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

1. There's drainage pipes running underneath and that grass stays pretty damp in general.
    2. That's a good question, they could sink a bit but I don't imagine the car would end up coming off.
    3. Not concerned about that at all, we live on a quiet estate, outside it is a different story however.
    This is an excellent suggestion, my only concern would be that the job would be a lot easier doing each step of the process (tyres off, sand, fill, sand, prime, couple of base coats, couple of clear coats) on all 4 at once.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I support my car on gravel with plywood, admittedly only two wheels/stands at a time but this can handle the load. Obviously I get the gravel as level as I can, not leaving any hollows underneath. (ignore ARB)

IMAG0387tn_zpsb1bbd1aa.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I agree, getting it all done in one go makes sense.
    Also ensures no problems with colour matching etc.
    Just trying to try and come up with all the reasons 'why not to?', to help you decide.
    If you do go for all 4 at once, I presume you'd be using the stands & spare wheels on the 'old' car?
    At the end of the day, it's up to you.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah it'd be on the old car, can't use the drive/gravel as it's on an incline unfortunately.

I guess really what I'm asking is if by supporting the car on axle stands (on one or both axles) for a long period, am I risking any damage?

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I've left mine overnight and it was ok, I've heard some guys leave their 'summer car' on stands over winter lockup time to save the tyres. I don't have any personal experience unfortunately.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well that gives me a bit more reassurance at least.

9. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there.
    Having had a car laid up for about (cough) 25 years, I was told it was better to be on stands. I would imagine that a few weeks wouldn't hurt...
    Are you planning to do your own alloys?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well then, I guess that settles it :Smile: Yes I am, it'll be a first but I like throwing myself into the thick of things :Laughing:

11. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hope you don't mind another question, as I have a set of alloys I wish to refurb myself. How do you plan to remove the old tyres and dispose of them?

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well, I have two sets of alloys and want the tyres swapped over as the wheels I intend to use have terrible tyres, and the ones I don't have near new Michelin Primacy 3 XLs. They'll be swapped from one to the other after the new set is refurbed.

There's a few ways you can go about removing tyres by plying them off, but I can't be bothered mucking around with all that - so I'll just ask the nearest tyre place :Laughing:

13. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think I will have to go the same way. I am getting a bit old for some of this hands on stuff! Thanks

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As long as your putting the axle stands in the recommended locations I see no problem at all with putting the whole car on them. I'd be more concerned about doing it on the grass, but if you're putting something solid under the stands to spread the load so they don't sink then you should be ok. i'd put the car on the stands then leave it for a while before removing the wheels in case the car settles badly and you have to rethink it.

Ichiban likes this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That's a good shout @Doc, the process of refurbing the wheels will take at the least a few days, quite easily over a week. It's not going to be a quick process sanding everything down and then putting on all the various coats. I'll do a trial run putting her up on the spares + axle stands and see how it goes before getting the tyres removing from the wheels.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah pretty much we are not in the middle of a deluge which will raise concerns on the stability of the grass aka sinking.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm hoping to get this underway before long, been bogged down with sorting my business out lately.

Ichiban likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I know the feeling when time is your enemy aint it .. I can't FIND TIME TO DO sod all lately. Every man and dog is pulling me post to pillar.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I feel your pain mate, I feel the exact same way. I've had about 3-4 clients just jump on me for work in the past week when I was already trying to build up 2 sites and work on HK. Landlord just dropped a bombshell of needing to come round with the gas fitter on Wednesday and needs all the radiators exposed, access to the cupboard under the stairs (where all my car stuff is). Of course, I would happen to me half way through painting the understairs doors and 2 are off the wall. Sigh.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm swamped at the moment, but I finally got round to getting this done. Moved her off the grass and onto the drive, think she'll be fine sitting there for the time being. She's one dusty cobwebbed girl at the moment.

IMG_0001.

Unfortunately couldn't put the wheels on the new Accord yet as it turns out I haven't got the locking nut key for them. Call to HH on Monday I think.